[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which to learn in 2016 ? Which has more future and better employability
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: node-ruby (2).jpg (125 KB, 750x350) Image search: [Google]
node-ruby (2).jpg
125 KB, 750x350
Which to learn in 2016 ? Which has more future and better employability ?
>>
They're both easy, learn both
>>
hijacking OP's thread

Should I just learn django if I already know python? I have to get a basic webpage up soon (~2months) and all I've ever used before was bootstrap
>>
>>54068997
Yes
>>
>>54068960
>blows brains out
>>
>>54068960
>>54068997
Stop asking what you should learn. Determine what you want to build and learn the necessary tools.

Also you guys should install Gentoo, it's actually really good.
>>
>>54068997
django is cool
>>
>>54069013
they're all frameworks for web apps are they not? How is that not a valid question??
>>
flask
>>
>>54069013
He doesn't want to build anything.
He wants to be able to exchange services for money.

>>54069028
Her's what I know:
With rails, you can build full-blooded sites. Ruby is nice.
With node, some people can churn out small things quickly. JavaScript is awful.
>>
>>54069028
Yeah your question is valid, just jumped straight to default sorry. I don't know the answer
>>
>>54069034

this

flask for small sites, dfjango or rails for big projects

fuck everything else
>>
>Ruby
>Hipster in 2005
>Hipster in 2015
This is going nowhere.

>node.js
>javascript on the server side
mfw

Seriously, I don't know any reputable company using those for actually BUILDING something, not a prototype.

I'd love to be proved wrong though

Learn C/++
>>
>>54069069
I'm >>54069061, and I applaud this comment of yours.
>>
>>54069113
>>Hipster in 2015
But Apple and Starbucks aren't cheap?
t. not a "code artisan"
>>
>>54068997
It's 2016, why would you learn Django?
NodeJS man.
>>
>>54068960
Depends. What do you want to build? You're basically asking, "should I learn how to use a circular saw or a band saw?"
>>
File: hote.jpg (107 KB, 646x452) Image search: [Google]
hote.jpg
107 KB, 646x452
>>54068960
noodles or a sandwich?
>>
>>54069298
>already know python
>"yeah but why use django"
>>
>>54069524
Install Gentoo, then learn NodeJS
>>
All of you are pussies. Learn mojolicious.
>>
File: golang-sh-600x600.png (53 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
golang-sh-600x600.png
53 KB, 600x600
Go is the only sane answer
>>
>>54068997
No, go with Flask instead as it has more documentation and support.
>>
>>54070271
>I don't have a job
>>
File: spring.png (16 KB, 800x260) Image search: [Google]
spring.png
16 KB, 800x260
pic related is the most feature-rich web framework in existence

no competitors, neither in Java nor outside
>>
>>54069894
this is actually amazing advice
>>
>>54068973
i happened to click more with node.js, but i happened to click more with javascript, so i think the answer is basically to learn a bit of both and when you lose traction with one (it makes less sense than the other, or whatever) drop it and go full steam ahead with the other.
>>
>>54068997
Don't listen to the node/flask memers. Django is the tightest shit
>>
>>54070578
Also non web Spring stuff is ebin. spring boot all the way man.
>>
>>54068960
that rails logo sure looks a lot like a bent, erect penis. this triggers me
>>
>>54068960
you will be reduced to a $15/hr wage in the near future. Do not go into web development, that's what all CS grads do.

Familiarize yourself with the C family, learn x86 so you know how to actually optimize beyond removing wasteful and redundant calls, and have a bunch of meaningful contributions on Github that you can point to on a resume.

Anything lesser and you are wasting your time.
>>
>>54068997
Yeah just go ahead and do it

Op learn ruby
>>
>>54068960
harmful.cat-v.org/software/ruby/rails/is-a-ghetto

Node.js is just outright retarded

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/node.js
>Node.js is one of the worst things to happen to the software industry in recent times, a whole generation of programmers are being taught the worst of all ways of doing concurrency, in a system that doesn’t scale either in performance or project size and with one of the languages most plagued by pitfalls ever created.
>JavaScript was already painful enough in the browser, why on earth anyone ever thought it was a good idea to use it on the server boggles the mind.

Not to mention the left padding saga which left me in a perpetual state of KEK
>>
>>54071689
but callbacks are the best.
>>
>>54072165
it's retarded
>>
>>54072210
why?
>>
>>54071475
>Neckbeard-tier advice

The money is in web & app dev. Embedded and kernel C dev are really hard and lowpay jobs. It's irrational to do hard work for tiny pay.
>>
>>54071475
I did all of this, except for ARM. I'm currently making $7/hr.

Granted, I live in an underdeveloped country, and here that's more than enough to rent a decent apartment for my gf and I, food and still get some spending cash every month. Web devs don't have it any better either.

Still I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong with my life.
>>
>>54069113
Airbnb ? IMDb I think too bunch of sites are built with Rails
>>
>>54071689
Node is a great software platform. It is based on standard, high performance, dynamic language. There are libraries for everything. It just werks.
>>
>>54072247
>Still I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong with my life.

The wrong thing was listening to stupid /g/ while making life-impacting decision, instead of reading statistical surveys like this one: http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015
>>
>>54072210
event-loop model of concurrency best model
>>
>>54072262
except when leftpad is needed
>>
>>54072281
I never listened to /g/, and probably never will. /g/ is poisonous, and kills careers.

I actually enjoy doing embedded development. I tried doing web stuff once and it just wasn't for me. The wrong thing is living in this fucked up country, I think.
>>
Outdated Hipster Meme vs Marketing-Investor Forced Meme

I'll stick with writing safe, readable code in Go and Haskell.
>>
>>54072288
Look at how performant the event loop is on these flame graphs! That is true enterprise quality.

http://blog.digg.com/post/141552444676/making-the-switch-from-nodejs-to-golang
>>
>>54072313
I enjoyed embedded too, anon, I even do simple robots from chinese parts. But I make living off webdev because it's an easy job that pays well.
>>
>>54072262
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH LORD, MY SEIDS
>>
>>54072411
Don't you feel, when working on web stuff, that there's something inherently wrong in all you're touching? From the languages themselves (especially on the front end) to the general "don't ask how this works internally" feel of frameworks and such, I think it doesn't offer much to learn other than perhaps QA-related stuff.
>>
>>54071689
>cat-v.org
Stopped reading.
>>
Learn Java or C# instead.
>>
>>54072411
>But I make living off webdev because it's an easy job that pays well.
Isn't this a major red flag when it comes to future employability?
>>
>>54072396
this is propaganda. what would some girl sucking on a clam know about concurrency models
>>
>>54069069
The fuck?
someone apologized on the internet...
on /g/...
it's the end of the world
>>
>>54072469
>Don't you feel, when working on web stuff, that there's something inherently wrong in all you're touching? From the languages themselves (especially on the front end) to the general "don't ask how this works internally" feel of frameworks and such

I think this attitude is a meme. Web environment isn't that bad. Modern javascript runtimes are very performant. V8 is the fastest compiler ever written for a dynamic language. It could be much, much worse than what we have now.

>>54072691
>Isn't this a major red flag when it comes to future employability?

In the modern world it's rather working with C that is the red flag for employability, because we live in an app economy. The most valuable parts of business are the ones that interact directly with consumers - i.e. web and mobile apps.

If you don't like the work at all, think about personal finance & early retirement, anon.
>>
>>54072716
A random sexist on the Internet knows more than a someone with a CS degree from an Ivy League college who also worked for the DoD.

I thought Meme.js shills were all about feminism.
>>
>>54069113
>Seriously, I don't know any reputable company using those for actually BUILDING something

Yeah cause Walmart is a nothing company.
>>
>>54071475
What else should I specialize in then? I was looking into distributed systems.
>>
>>54072876
Walmart uses Go.
>>
>>54069113
>Seriously, I don't know any reputable company using those for actually BUILDING something, not a prototype.
IBM?

https://developer.ibm.com/node/sdk/
>>
>>54072917
Either webdev/appdev or data science/machine learning. Former is significantly easier than the latter.
>>
>>54068997
I recently finished up a project in Django and regret not choosing to do it in Flask.

For a new project in 2016 I'd go with Flask. To learn Django you have to read through a boat load of Django specific documentation. Flask seems much more plug and play. Also, the Flask development community seems way more active, whenever I checked the Django IRC to asked Q's it was pretty much dead
>>
>>54068997
>Please
fuck yeaaaa djangoooooooooooooooooooo
>>
Hijacking the hijacking question, should i learn python 2.7 or 3.X ?
I'm supposed to learn it because i'll get a free "cybersecurity" formation in a few weeks.
>>
>>54068960
C
>>
>>54068960

Every time I touch Ruby I want to beat someone senseless.

So node.js
>>
>>54075754

Learn to whittle beach wood with a small, dull pocket knife.

It will be faster than Python.
>>
>>54068960
Could someone explain why people are always talking about node.js/ruby on rails kind of stuff?

>What is it used for?
>How is it used?
>Why are they so great to use?
>Can you give an example of a situation where they are used and how they make it easier?

Thank you
>>
>>54077221
>What is it used for?
Web application framework
>How is it used?
MVC
>Why are they so great to use?
Easy to make dynamic websites
>Can you give an example of a situation where they are used and how they make it easier?
>>
File: super_smug.png (22 KB, 217x225) Image search: [Google]
super_smug.png
22 KB, 217x225
>>54075754
honestly assuming your question is bait because 2.7 is going to be leaving support in a few years
>>
>>54068960
Node.
I can use javascript style programming for anything! Definitely the best language available.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.