[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what was /g/'s opinion about the xscreensaver stuff? h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: xscreensaver-alert.png (11 KB, 772x314) Image search: [Google]
xscreensaver-alert.png
11 KB, 772x314
what was /g/'s opinion about the xscreensaver stuff?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819703
https://www.jwz.org/blog/2016/04/i-would-like-debian-to-stop-shipping-xscreensaver/
>>
Screensavers are useless

Just use i3 screen locker or none at all
>>
File: 1458727395081.jpg (159 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1458727395081.jpg
159 KB, 1500x1500
Debian are morons and jzw is god. peace x
>>
>>54046119
why should you have to update a very old screen saver program?
i cant see any reasons beyond very high resolution displays
>>
>>54046183
Because it has bugs and there's nothing worse or more time wasting for a developer than getting emails about shit that's been fixed for multiple major versions.
>>
File: xscreensaver-trial.png (19 KB, 772x313) Image search: [Google]
xscreensaver-trial.png
19 KB, 772x313
i made a thing
>>
>>54046202
>bugs
no, those get fixed in debian anyway
>features nobody needs (like Ios improvements)
yeah, but why should a dev force upgrades on debian when his newer version made stuff on Ios better?
>>
>>54046119
jwz is a faggot, gets all butthurt if you want to change the shitty xscreensaver logo
that's why i downloaded the source and changed it anyway
>>
>>54046223
>no, those get fixed in debian anyway
security bugs, not feature bugs.
this whole issue is about debian bending over backwards to stick to the stable-rules, although it's annoying people without reason.
>>
>>54046223
>no, those get fixed in debian anyway
You don't fix bugs in the distro, you fix them in the original project and then update the package in the distro.
>>
>>54046750
>you fix them in the original project
The original project often doesn't fix bugs in older versions. And then newer versions often behave differently which is unacceptable for a stable operating system.
>>
>>54046739
>without reason
Confirmed for not having responsibility in a large corporate environment. Either that, or your boss is a moron who believes you when you say that there was nothing you could do.
>>
I don't give a fuck because I use an objectively superior OS.
>>
Neither side is really wrong but jwz feels the need to act like a douchebag anyway.

Only way to address this is to just rebrand the whole package like they did with firefox.
>>
>>54046940
>Only way to address this is to just rebrand the whole package like they did with firefox.
FYI - iceweasel is dead, firefox is back in debian.
>>
just update your shit.
>>
>>54046119
10/10 would read again
i like jwz, he seems like a pretty cool guy, walked away from netscape and opened a nightclub because why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7FTjhvZ7Y
>>
>>54046119
Plebian is full of self-entitled wannabe devs who think they know better than the devs of the software and confuse stable with obsolete.

Good thing JZS doesn't cater those.
>>
>>54046119
I don't use a screensaver sensei.
>>
>>54046119
I like how Plebians think they have the competence to patch things themself.

But in my experience, they don't even have the competence to package stuff.
Often, they create micropackages for stuff that is clearly supposed to be linked statically.
>>
>>54046119
>catering to a bistro that should have gone the way of its found... the dodo ten years ago

JWZ is right
>>
>>54046940
or they could just fucking update it.

It's not like xscreensaver is experimental bleeding-edge software that gets any significant new features.
>>
>>54048224
Nah, they are to up-their-ass-burocratic to be that pragmatic.
>>
>>54046119
slock is the only good screen locker
>>
why would you ship out-of-date software

does debian also ship kernels with 5 year old security holes?
>>
File: 6859.jpg (55 KB, 613x587) Image search: [Google]
6859.jpg
55 KB, 613x587
>>54046119
>"but I don't know how to compile from source, herp derp I eat paste"

fucking based
>>
>>54048304
they backport security fixes
also, the kernel has lts releases
>>
>>54048319
wow it's like you think only _you_ have the ability to read

/pulls quarter out of your ear

magic
>>
>>54048319
>they backport security fixes

That is about place 3 on my list of things that don't work out in reality.
>>
My opinion from reading the way too long thread on the Debian bug tracker is that the only reasonable person involved is the xscreensaver package maintainer. His posts were an oasis in that cesspool.
>>
>>54048377
Why, did he agree to not ship the package in the far future?
>>
>>54046119
>guy distributes his software under a free software license so everyone can modify and redistribute it
>comes screaming like a little child that people modify and redistribute it
What a fucking retard. Good thing I don't use his PoS software.
>>
>>54048398
He showed respect for the application's author and praised him for his involvement and activity on Debian's bug tracker, while also making it clear that that piece of code making it into stable in the first place was a huge oversight. He then followed up on mitigating the primary annoyances the author suffers that made him take this course of action, reprimanding people for reporting bugs in Debian packages elsewhere than on Debian's bug tracker.
>>
>>54048423
You are right, He should have included a "It's only allowed to distribute non-obsolete versions, looking at you, Plebians." sentence to the license.
>>
>>54048444
That's all cool and civilized, but I don't think putting a modified note into the about dialog will work.

If I search for xscreensaver the first hit is Js. page.
Plebs will so as well and continue sending him emails.
>>
>>54048449
0/10
>>
>>54048423
>guy distributes his software under a free software license so everyone can modify and redistribute it
>is annoyed when people send him bug reports for old shit that's already fixed
>>
>>54048491
It's not Debian's fault that people don't use their BTS, especially since there's a nice GUI program that already does everything for you.
>>
>>54047499
>>>54046940
>>Only way to address this is to just rebrand the whole package like they did with firefox.
>FYI - iceweasel is dead, firefox is back in debian.
Oh no, how will the edge Lords know how edgy I am without Iceweasel?
>>
>>54046209
based
>>
>>54048224
>they could just fucking update it
they have: testing and unstable have version 5.34
>>
>>54048304
>ship kernels with 5 year old security holes
nope
>>
>>54048449
That would make it proprietary software.
>>
>>54046119
Of course he would like DEBIAN to stop shipping xscreensaver. Why not the other distributions that also deliver outdated versions?

>Debian: 5.30
>Ubuntu 15.10: 5.30
>openSUSE: 5.33

That guy is nothing more than a fucking asshole with some agenda.
>>
>>54046831
wtf are you talking about?
the timebomb in the screensaver has absolutely no reason to be in there.
all it does is annoy the wrong people.
debian could patch it out, but they refuse to, because it's not a security-bugfix.
>>
>>54048726
>debian could patch it out, but they refuse to, because it's not a security-bugfix.
It was suggested to patch it out, but the the developer of xscreensaver threw a hissy-fit on their bug tracker.
>>
>>54048687
ubantoo removed the timebomb from the code ;^)
>>
>>54046119
>As I said above, I'd really rather they not do that. I'd rather they not distribute it at all
nobody gives a shit about your wish
>taking advantage of a creator's work, ignoring their wishes, and giving nothing back in return
fuck off and write proprietary software next time
>>
>>54046119
fix'd

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fixed-xscreensaver/
>>
>>54049569
>sourceforge

Nothing is fixed.
>>
>>54049599
??
>>
Isn't this made by the guy who refuses to let people customize the god awful mspaint icon?
>>
>>54049628
/* dotfile.c --- management of the ~/.xscreensaver file.
* xscreensaver, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Jamie Zawinski <[email protected]>
* Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
* documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
* the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
* copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
* documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this
* software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or
* implied warranty.
*/
>>
>>54046119
Debian sucks.
jwz sucks.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.