[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What version do you have and what do you use it for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13
File: file.png (57 KB, 511x642) Image search: [Google]
file.png
57 KB, 511x642
What version do you have and what do you use it for?
>>
Model 2.
Use it as a simple local server to experiment with.
Learning some PHP on it too.
>>
>>54035239
Model 2

Using it as a DNS, and passive ad blocker with pihole.
Also VPN server.

Sits on top of my router powered by it's USB port. Router expansion pack, sort of.
>>
File: pi.jpg (284 KB, 845x459) Image search: [Google]
pi.jpg
284 KB, 845x459
>VPN box
Everything that goes in on one port comes out of the other through a vpn
Completely plug-and-play for single devices or entire networks that can be routed, so it's running dhcp and dns (which gets forwarded to the vpn)

Also acts as hardware-firewall making sure that the only packets getting out and in are to / from the vpn server

>headless low-power Torrent/Mega/Downloadstation
should be selfexplanatory

To be honest with those things running I'm already reaching the limit of model 2, the vpn encryption alone already uses an entire core when there's a lot of traffic
>>
>>54035391
>>54035599

Can you explain more.

I would love to do something like this.

It is basically a free VPN huh?
>>
>Model 1 B
VPN and Web server.
Thinking of adding a dashboard/clock solution but undecided on the platform(ideas welcome)

>Model 2 B
Connected to the official 7" display and runs Kodi as a dedicated twitch.tv player.
Want it to display the previously mentioned dashbaord idea as well.

If anyone has experience on dashboards et al, what would be a good solution?
>>
>>54035618
Nah, mine >>54035599 simply makes sure that everything that goes in on one side goes to the VPN without leaking anything at all
Also saves me from having to setup vpn clients on every single device in my network

Still gotta pay for a VPN service, so this acts more as a "proxy" that redirects everything to the service

It's mostly because I'm paranoid as fuck and I don't trust windows which could simply bypass VPN clients running as software
>>
>>54035239
model 1 a
it collects dust
>>
>>54035690
>It's mostly because I'm paranoid as fuck
no shit
>>
File: IMG_0348.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0348.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>54035239
Two Pi 3 Model B (gave away old ones after upgrade)

Seriously using it for fun projects when I have time.

Also another one as a retro game box hidden behind my TV with two DualSock 3 controllers.
>>
>>54035690
Hmm, the bandwight and latency must be awesome...NOT!
>>
>>54035767
>latency
Wut

It's one (1) additional hop in a local network

That's like

1 millisecond

>bandwight
My ISP only offers shit internet, this is more than enough for all connections < 30mbps

But yeah, if you've got 100mbit internet this would be a bottleneck
>>
>>54035239
Model B, Model B+, Zero

Literally nothing.
>>
Ssh socks proxy for life.
>>
>>54035760
>Trust

How is their build quality these days. That keyboard looks kinda nice but their past products were either dogshit or broke down very quickly.
>>
>>54035862
This
>>
>>54035239
Model 2

Collecting dust
>>
File: IMG_0350.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0350.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>54035869
I got it for like 2eur new in box because a shop was closing and sold its shit. Its not good but its flexible, fallen on the ground a few times and still works fine, battery lasts months also. Usefully small, nice on the lap of tweaking a Pi.
>>
>>54035760
>Also another one as a retro game box hidden behind my TV with two DualSock 3 controllers.
Same
>>
>>54035904
It's perfect for that, even better then as a media box
>>
Model 1 and 2 B+
>>
>>54035760
>>54035904

Pi 2 Model B doing this actually.

I want to build a hyperlapse machine, someday I will continue building the hardware
>>
>>54035690
Shit, I taught that it would act as a free VPN, I really don't feel like paying for one.

Do you have it connected to your modem?

>>54035841
>>54035886

Email me [email protected]

I would buy one.
>>
Pi 3 - running OSMC behind the TV (plugin Exodus is highly recommended for all Kodi based setups)

OG Pi Model B - this is my current project board. I've cased it into an old rotary phone, wired the handset up as speaker and mic through a usb sound card, currently setting up pocketsphinx voice recognition. The ultimate plan is to have it convert your voice to text, send that to cleverbot, then do text-to-speech on cleverbot's response.

Basically a phone I can use to talk to skynet when I'm bored.
>>
>>54036392
BAHAHAH, epic
>>
>>54035599
You gave me a great idea, I could use a VPN wifi network, the Pi would be great for it, if I need VPN I just connect to the Pi's wifi.
>>
>>54035239
Model 1 B+

It works as a home server
*providing samba shares
*and has a torrent client with flexget working so things that i want to watch get downloaded automatically.

It also runs an apache server but it's not being used much. It hosts a page that executes common commands so i dont have to ssh into my pi evertime i want to "mount -a" or something.

I planned to use it to view websites i was building on my mobile, and for some cool electronics projects (Iot) but i got lazy.

It works surprisingly well after all this time. I bought it in december 2014.

A few months ago i started panicking that my HDD was about to die so i have another one connected that turns on at 4am every morning, rsync's all new/changed files from my old HDD.

It's fucking awesome.

>>54035904
This is what i want to do next. How hard is it to install the drivers required for the controllers.

Can i get away with buying some cheap controllers and somehow installing their drives?

Also, what kind of games can pi run considerable without lag?
>>
>>54036501
It's as easy as installing any distro.

https://retropie.org.uk/
>>
The first crappy version with alpine linux installed.

Using it to host a filehost and my website using nginx.
>>
2x Raspberry Pi 2 B.
OpenVPN, SSH, Mumble, and Owncloud.

Kodi running on another to stream from my file server.
>>
For those running roles on their pi's, what kind of control panel do you use to manage them?

>tfw no Server Manager from Windows with linux support
A man can dream.
>>
B+ and I use it as FTP NAS, Website, SSH
>>
>>54035239
One of each.
I use them as dust collectors.
>>
Original B. I set it up to play my great grandma's CD collection for her since she's in a nursing home and they'd never change the CDs out for her. Mostly big band era stuff and a couple episodes of the Lawrence Welk show I got off archive.org.
>>
>>54035239

2 3 and a zero.

Nothing at the moment I have used them in the past but moved shit onto freenas jails and replaced some shit with chrome casts.

Smart mirror or electronic calendar next maybe.
>>
>>54035760
>>54035904

How is the model three for retro games? Like super nintendo levels of work. Does the video lag? Controller lag?
>>
>>54038936
SNES emulation is good, had no problems, feels responsive. I think there have been a few times where something has shuttered for a second, but I guess that was game specific, I remember PS2 and PSP even emulation SNES fine, so...
>>
>>54035690
how did you configure this?
what vpn service are you using or reccomend?
>>
File: 71RTWlYE7jL._SX522_.jpg (25 KB, 522x273) Image search: [Google]
71RTWlYE7jL._SX522_.jpg
25 KB, 522x273
trying to set up a pi zero but can't even get a keyboard working with it.

I know passive hubs don't work, I'm using a double ended female USB like this. Is there any reason it shouldn't work? I'm guessing the draw might be too strong from the KB i'm using
>>
>>54039335
you might need a USB crossover plug/adapter
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
running pi-hole on it as DNS cache and adblocker

also running DNS-crypt on it as well to a DNS with DNSSEC and no logging
>>
First model that came out.
Using it as a samba ad at the moment for fun
>>
>>54039335
just SSH into it so you don't even need to connect a keyboard
>>
File: My_Lapdock_001.jpg (146 KB, 1000x566) Image search: [Google]
My_Lapdock_001.jpg
146 KB, 1000x566
>>54035239

This.
Pic somehow related.

I've build myself a Laptop.
Works great, doesn't cost much. Batterylife is also great.
Things i do with it:
- Programming
- write Text Documents
- check and write emails
It just works, but can't replace a full Desktop Computer.
>>
>>54039666
is that one of those older laptop things you'd plug your phone into to get a big screen?

what model do you have?
>>
plugged in and idling 24/7
too lazy to do anything
>>
>>54039276
>how did you configure this?

not to be mean, but this requires some knowledge about networking and linux

Key things you'll have to look up
>iptables
>masquerading
>openvpn
>dns, dhcp, resolvconf
>systemd
>linux and how it handles network interfaces

Though there are probably tutorials out there, just google for raspberry pi VPN gateway / raspberry VPN router
>>
>>54039666
I love this idea but why arent these things empty anyways? whats the deal with that? at the very least if they're built for phones you would think they would have a cavity for it.
>>
>>54039666
Oh shit that's a great idea

Can you give some hard data on battery life?
>>
>>54039763
have you double checked against DNS leakage as well? it sounds like you have, which is more than alot of people do
>>
1B, running DNS blocker and a bittorrent sync folder for note sharing and textbooks for my engineering program
>>
>>54035239
Raspberry pi 2
Paperweight and vichan host.
>>
>>54039763
i have linux and network knowledge, googled rpi vpn router.

what vpn do u use? can you recommend me one?
there was a thread a while ago named fucko that had a really good vpn provider list, can anyone point me to a g archive where i can look for it, ot 404'd
>>
>>54039362
oh that makes sense, maybe the signals are getting goofed and I gotta goof em again :)

>>54039647
I'm trying to play around with the standalone system before I look into chinashit. The pi zero has a big opportunity to provide cheap programming environments within developing nations.
>>
I have a model B+ sitting around, what are some fun things I can do with it? I put retropi on it before but I want to try something new. I'm a total noob when it comes to Linux and I want to learn using this pi.
>>
>>54039684

Yes it is.
I do have the "Motorola Lapdock for the Atrix" Model.

It looks just like on this picture.

Keyboard is great. Touchpad is okay, it does not have multitouch. But you can turn it off, if you double tab it.
Display is 1366x768. But with Risc OS is can handle 1080p somehow.

>>54039782
It only consists of a keyboard, a toucpad, a display, a battery and some ports (2x USB2.0 1x USBmicro 1x mini HDMI).

>>54039810
if you use lowest screen brightness it lasts over six hours. But it depends on usage i think. Can't make an exact statement because i did not measured it.
>>
>>54039858
Wow you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>54040026
sure m8
>>
>pi-hole
This seems very interesting. I could finally get adblocking on my windows phone with this if I also install VPN on the pi.

Are there any free dyn-dns services out there that don't require a manual actions once every month?
>>
1 Raspberry 1b+ and 1 Raspberry 2

the 1 is used as network share and for downloading stuff and the Raspberry 2 is used for playing music.
>>
>>54035760
Isn't the 3 supposed to need an active cooler?

I heard that it gets quite hot.
>>
File: Pin_fin_heat_sink_with_a_z-clip.png (456 KB, 731x575) Image search: [Google]
Pin_fin_heat_sink_with_a_z-clip.png
456 KB, 731x575
>>54040257
Using a passive heatsink on the retro-pi one, pic related, with a 1.4GHz overclock. Actually I think it would even run fine without, even with the overclock, but just to be on the safe side.

The one without on the original post run without and with no problems whatsoever.
>>
>>54040026
http://pastebin.com/tUvq8Jzj
i was actually looking for a url in this doc fag
>>
what's the best version of pi I should purchase?
>>
>>54040929
Latest, aka Pi 3 Model B
>>
File: The_Battle_of_Culloden.jpg (658 KB, 1498x892) Image search: [Google]
The_Battle_of_Culloden.jpg
658 KB, 1498x892
Is this a relatively good way to jump into programming?

I have some experience with BASH, should I jump into python book or another language?
>>
>>54035239
First gen, model B+

Local webserv, DLNa, weather station, cloud lel
>>
Pi2, nothing now, but used to use it as a radio streaming box.

bought a camera, and thinking of mounting it on my bike. gotta figure out how to do that.

waiting on a zero, not sure what i'll do with it.
>>
>>54035239
I don't have an Raspberry Pi.
But if I did, I would use it for this
https://piratebox.cc/
>>
>>54043614
oh yeah i >>54043569 did that first thing when i got this pi2. pretty cool, but never took it out. need to get a few more micro sd cards and try it out again.
>>
i use mine with a dac and volumio as a networked stereo in a spare room
>>
2B

Home server hosting gitlab, owncloud and codebox
>>
2B

Connected it to my old ass crt tv,4 port usb(for the keyboard, mouse and internet dongle). Used them as my poorfag shitposting machine.

Got the idea from shitstation thread a while back, which is kinda neat but I think I'd rather have a pc stick (which will arrive in 6 weeks)

Still, not bad tho.
>>
Considering getting a Pi 3 for a crude plex client.

Is this a shit idea? Any good project boxes which won't kill one?
>>
File: Gameboy-Zero_2.gif (902 KB, 461x259) Image search: [Google]
Gameboy-Zero_2.gif
902 KB, 461x259
latest from the Blog
>>
>>54035239
the current lts which was .. yeah 15.04 .. I know I could upgrade to the new LTS. Have replaced all my desktop pcs (2), with pis & have for the first time reliable server. Also HD Playback. Use is primarily for development
>>
>>54035760
hows emulation performance
>>
>>54038839
aw lawrence welk. was watching a show from youtube. very tuneful, pleasant. all the oldsters dance at the end
>>
>>54039937
torrents
>>
>>54040257
they may need a heatsink (avail for a few $s on ebay - most pure copper), if you overclock them.
overclocking is a standard option. The heatsink simply sticks on
>>
>>54035599
This seems like a terrible idea considering the Pi is 10/100 and even with a USB adapter tops out around 300MBPS
>>
Anyone have experience using the Pi 3 as a mini htpc? Specifically wondering about 5.1 output quality. I want to grab one and set it up to stream movies over my network but I don't want to throw away $40 that could go to a proper mini itx setup if it's not necessary
>>
>>54047535
what quality?

lossless blu ray rips?
>>
>>54035239
Banana Pi M3
stallman approved shitposting
>>
>>54047573
Blu-ray source rips, round 500-600kbps audio (DTS or AC-3) with between 10-20mbs video hit rate
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-15_18-02-43.png (68 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-15_18-02-43.png
68 KB, 1280x800
I have a B+.
I use it as a seedbox and NAS.
>>
File: onionPI.png (1006 KB, 581x1032) Image search: [Google]
onionPI.png
1006 KB, 581x1032
>>54035239
Model B, using it as a tor transparent proxy.
>pic related.
>>
>>54035239
V2
Download station and another one for emulation station aaaand a cluster of 3 for shared memory programming
>>
>>54047535
Look up HiFiBerry if you haven't already.
>>
>>54035239
model 1 collecting dust
thinking of getting a model 3 to use as an emulation station inside an old super nes I have laying around. should be a fun project
>>
>>54048036
check out https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/GPIO-Modules

you can hook up your old snes controllers to the gpio pins without any active adapter

also, why get another model? Pi1 should be able to handle it too
>>
>>54048073
thanks, I will
my old Pi used to corrupt memory cards all the time. besides, I want to use Bluetooth controllers and my snes ones are converted to usb anyway.
>>
>>54046971
See
>>54039004
Even PSX works
>>
Can Model 2 or Model 3 run Mediawiki smoothly? With Apache or Nginx? Tried Model 1 B+ years ago, not too responsive.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.