[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: phone.png (2 MB, 1978x3606) Image search: [Google]
phone.png
2 MB, 1978x3606
What happened?
>>
File: 1455634651566.png (678 KB, 613x522) Image search: [Google]
1455634651566.png
678 KB, 613x522
>>54026969
Seriously i have no fucking idea...
>>
>>54026969
Microsoft.
>>
It was DOA because non-Apple/Blackberry hardware manufactures already jumped on the Android train, Windows Phone came out way to late iOS and Android already captured the market and had loads of software availability which is ironic for Microsoft because software availability is the only reason Windows is successful.
>>
>>54026969
They keep focusing on new OS upgrades without fixing current ones. Windows 10 mobile was a mistake just like Windows RT. the next line of phones are just going to have standard Windows.
>>
>Windows 10 mobile is slower AND less stable than 8.1
>STILL HAS NO APPS
How did they fuck up so bad
>>
It wasn't just WP10, Microsoft sat on their ass catering to pooinloos by introducing low end phone after low end phone without any flagships.

Also, don't forget:
>Let's release a new Windows Phone with premium specs. We'll call it the Nokia Lumia 900, it will be the greatest thing ever!
>WP7.5, yeah, those limitations sure are annoying. Don't worry, we'll keep it up to date!
>We're switching kernel in WP8, so sorry your phone is now a hunk of plastic. Here's a consolation 7.8 update so you can pretend you have WP8!
>>
>>54026969
Microsoft.

Still can't upgrade my throwaround Lumia 532 to Win10 as 'it's not available for your device or region'

Why the FUCK would you assign Windows updates to carriers to hand out?
Only Apple has done it right, by telling the carriers to go fuck themselves.

This is of course only one in a multitude of issues with Windows Phone.
>>
File: 1448143846905-0.jpg (32 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1448143846905-0.jpg
32 KB, 460x276
>>54026969
>shit hardware
My lumia battery bloated and the screen stopped working after 1 month of use, I could easily get better durability out of a mcdonalds happy meal toy.
>no apps
I tried developing an app for WP but currysoft wouldn't accept it because apperently wardriving is illegal? And they wonder why nobody wants to write WP apps! Even after they aquired xamarin and came out with universal windows platform, every developer knows the platform just isn't profitable enough to justify wasting time on.
>no multitasking
Why can I only have one app open at a time while ios and android can easily run apps in the background? Currysoft needs to get with the times, it's 2016 already!
>normies don't know about it
Most people don't even know WP exists, they only care about ios and android. I think this happens quite a lot in tech, only two competitors can exist at once. Imagine if a new company tried to go up against AMD and nvidia trying to sell graphics cards? They would be crushed. Microsoft tried to go up against apple and google to enter the phone market and they failed.
>>
>>54026969
I like labia.

Those who isn't are gay
>>
File: 1281129840284.png (158 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
1281129840284.png
158 KB, 400x387
We just sorta grew apart and didn't talk as much as we did in the beginning.
>>
>>54026969
shit os
weak hardwear
no apps
>>
Just my two cents:

* The tiling UI is great. Actually best interface ever.

* Pin to desktop" option inside apps is a godsend. You can put shortcuts for screens inside your apps directly to your start screen.

BUT: need to pay for a developer licence to even think about start developing for WP. That's a straight death sentence.

* First phone OS to let me have a flat blackscreen + white text theme, consitent for all apps.

>>
>>54027379
You scored 1/3...

You failed :D
>>
>>54028194
b i t t e r
>>
>>54027341
i know that feel
>>
>>54026969
It got stuck being a poorfag phone. Only the poorest of the poor buy them.
>>
>>54026969
Verizon said No
>>
No apps.

Shitty apps where they do exist.

Even the default apps are shitty, lack features, and lack polish.

Also reinventing the OS every couple years instead of polishing what they had.
>>
Hardware was fine but the phone would be better if it had android

Wangblows has no market share
>>
>>54026969

No apps.

I used a WP for a while since low end/cheap Android phones were slow as shit back then, but I bought a Moto G 2nd gen for $80 and it works for me.
>>
The Lumia's camera was ahead of its time, the video recording was amazing for concerts and loud events. Other than that Microsoft sucks dicks at promoting products if it isn't the xbone. Windows RT was the funniest shit I've ever seen and no one wanted to develop for it. I feel like the Microsoft store on Win10 is yet again another lame attempt to try and push into a market they have no chance at gaining momentum in. They were late to the phone game, late to the tablet game, late to the store game, they just try to copy other companies and put out things that are effective, by doing this as late as they do they guarantee that they won't have marketshare or presence in the market worth anything. I feel like most of /g/ would have bought a windows phone if it wasn't a locked down piece of shit. It ran cleanly and was pretty decent for the price, but they tried to copy apple and ultimately fucked that up big time.
>>
>>54029436
Lumina wasan't the problem but the OS itself ruining it? Android is open meaning that independent developers could easily make apps
>>
>>54026969
Use one and you shall find out
>>
They're biding their time until the Surface Phone
>>
>>54029478
Probably wouldn't have made a difference for Nokia, it was already too late for them to get into the Android game, look at what happened with Blackberry
>>
>>54029343
You forget that the only Android phones with market share are Samsung, so, they're still fucked
>>
>>54027632
>need to pay for a developer licence to even think about start developing for WP. That's a straight death sentence.
works for aplel
>>
>>54030738
Prolly you never heard that Nokia have just acquired alcatel for their new mobile division
>>
Too late to the market.
>>
>>54027155
Agree! Also fuck Android in providing updates, unless you own a Nexus.
>>
>>54026969
Microsoft killed it. When WP 8.1 getting better and users starting to like it, Microsoft said fuck it and totally drop WP 8.1 move on to Windows 10 mobile.
1 year later or more Windows 10 mobile still nowhere to be seen. WP fags already dropped it and move on. Even now Windows 10 mobile still a beta buggy piece of shit. New users doesn't give a fuck about it, old users already lost their faith in Microsoft.
>>
>>54032468
Microsoft was never serious about smartphones. They wanted to market their way into the business with a mediocre device hoping their name and reputation would bridge the gap.
>>
>>54027155
>Only Apple has done it right, by telling the carriers to go fuck themselves.

Although I am an Android man, I fully agree with this, the only way right now is Nexus or custom ROM, but phone manufacturers are making it increasingly difficult to do it. I wish Google would do the same thing but they are too busy expanding the botnet to give a shit
>>
>>54027046
>Windows 10 mobile was a mistake just like Windows RT.
Have you ever used it? I am using it now and I think it is awesome.
>>
>>54027155
>Still can't upgrade my throwaround Lumia 532 to Win10 as 'it's not available for your device or region'
Use the developer app you dumbfuck.
I already upgraded my 820 that is also not available.
>>
>>54029335
>Even the default apps are shitty, lack features, and lack polish.
There is not one single calendar app that works as good as the windows phone calendar app and the contact hub also does not have any viable replacement on android.
And onenote on android is shit.
Because of those three things alone I will keep my windows phone even if it lacks some other apps I don't really need.
>>
>>54029478
>Android is open meaning that independent developers could easily make apps
That also means you can get apps with viruses, that's why many people still stick to shitty apple phones.
>>
>>54032638
Yeah I have it on the 640. But phones now have 3gb of ram 2.0 quad core processors. Windows mobile is pointless on them when normal windows can work just fine on them. It was a waste of money just to develop a separate mobile operating system.
>>
>>54027632
>need to pay

Maybe on WP8.1 but with 10 they're giving out so much shit for free they just want app devs to care.
>>
>>54026969
Just sold my 3 years old Nokia Lumia 520 to some Pajeet for 30€. Would be priceless to see his face right now.
>>
Been with windows phone since build 7004 (first public release) and loved it ever since.
But they fucked up by windows 10 mobile bad. It's not even out yet.

So I'm jumping gun to nexus 5x next month
>>
Literally nothing, W10M is the best mobile OS out there.
>>
>>54032468
>Even now Windows 10 mobile still a beta buggy piece of shit
But it isn't, it's far better than W8.1M, especially the built-in apps.
>>
>>54029288
This is the serious issue. Verizon just didn't care about anyone who wanted a window phone
>>
lack of support
useless power
and shitty chink programmers
>>
>>54026969
Microshaft is so wholly incompetent that they couldn't get a single market share in the phone industry knowing they don't have a monopoly.
>>
>>54033039
Whatever you say Saheed.
>>
>>54032772
>Windows mobile is pointless on them when normal windows can work just fine on them. It was a waste of money just to develop a separate mobile operating system.
Which is exactly what happened with Redstone builds. Microsoft merged the codebase for both the mobile and desktop builds starting with build# 14XXX
>>
>>54034220
>i'll call him indian, that'll show him!!
Why Microsoft hating retards are so dumb, /g/?
>>
>Seattle
>Walk into a T-Mobile store to browse for a new phone
>Indian sales rep approaches me
>"Hello sir how can I help you today"
>"I'm just looking for a new device since my contract is nearly ending"
>"Okay, do you have anything in mind already?"
>"I was thinking about getting a Nexus 6P, do you offer these here?"
>"Unfortunately we do not, have you heard about the Lumia 950 though?"
>"I'm not really interested in a Windows phone, thanks though, I think I'm just gonna have a look on your website"
>"Okay no problem"
>Accidentally say "Thanks Pajeet"
>"How did you know my name?"
Fucking Seattle.
>>
>>54034534
>Accidentally say "Thanks Pajeet"
>"How did you know my name?"
Top kek.
>>
>>54027632
This.
I keep WP as my main device for the vastly superior UI.
>>
>>54034534
good story bro
>>
>>54030722
>mfw Surface Phone gets BTFO by the inevitable Google Pixel Phone
>>
They didn't know how to position in the market

Should have lowered the cost of win10 smartphones and start selling it in India, Eastern Europe and other shit countries until they become the standard there. Something like Xiaomi
>>
I'm sick of lumia.
Move to iPhone SE, 5S, or Xperia Z3 compact?
>>
>>54026969
It came in too late and suffered from "Good Enough Syndrome". It was better than what came before it, but what came before it was good enough that nobody felt compelled to switch.

The tiles interface was, without a doubt, much better than "screen-full-of-buttons".
>>
>>54034297
Saheed pls
>>
>>54037230
Xperia
>>
pajeet
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.