[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the worst distro you have ever used and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 5
File: 1460496706602.png (69 KB, 582x513) Image search: [Google]
1460496706602.png
69 KB, 582x513
What is the worst distro you have ever used and why?
>>
Arch.
>>
Arch.
>>
lubuntu. the ui was just so bad and it didn't work correctly even in virtualbox

only popular distro i haven't tried is gentoo
>>
Arch. The community is even worse than the distro.
>>
Arch
>>
Arch without a doubt
>>
Arch obviously.
>>
Debian
>>
>>54008371
>>54008457
>>54008494
>>54009089
>>54009104
>>54009112
I thought everyone on /g/ loved Arch?
>>
>>54009131
stay mad archie. little babbie mad cuz his favorite time sink os is a meme piece of shit.
>>
I've only used 2

Arch and Debian.

They're both good.
>>
Arch
>>
File: 767645.png (11 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
767645.png
11 KB, 640x640
>>54008371
>>54008457
>>54008494
>>54009089
>>54009104
>>54009112
>>54009174
>>
Arch.
>>
>>54009162
I don't use arch, I use fedora.
>>
>>54009185
>using a freetard os period
>>
>>54009203
k
>>
Debian, outdated shit with missing firmware on install
>>
>>54009155
clearly samefagging, that said, fedora is by far the worst distro ever, for something that markets itself as a RHEL alternative is has packages that are a decade out of date, shit is constantly pulled from the repo for retarded reasons and to top it off it's unstable as fuck.
>>
>actually voting on Debian
it's like you tried 2 or 3 distros in your lives
>>
Debian because this >>54009207
>>
>>54009155
20 comments | 14 posters
>>
File: 1458247440664.jpg (1 MB, 3000x3420) Image search: [Google]
1458247440664.jpg
1 MB, 3000x3420
>>54008078
>you will never comfort arch-tan as she gets bullied by shitposters
why even live?
>>
Slackware.

Package manager has no dependency resolution, you have to manually install dependencies.

Luddite distro, no systemd, I think they still haven't done the /usr merge, etc.

Difficult to upgrade to newer versions.
>>
I've not tried it but from what i've read ubuntu is a pretty broken piece of software
>>
File: hilarious.png (4 KB, 332x129) Image search: [Google]
hilarious.png
4 KB, 332x129
>>54009177
>>54009213
hilarious
>>
>>54009279
might as well stick to ubuntu. because then you can have your dep resolution and your filthy systemd you cock loving faggot
>>
>>>/y/ou
Only makes sense paid M$ shills would denigrate Arch (best linux) and recommend Debby Anne or Ubunghole (worst linuxes)
>>
>>54009343
that rf was my reaction to the hivemind
>>
>>54009349
>might as well stick to ubuntu. because then you can have your dep resolution

Every relevant distro has a package manager with dependency resolution except Slackware.

>and your filthy systemd you cock loving faggot

I think every prominent distro uses systemd now. I use Gentoo with systemd, where they still have OpenRC as an option.
>>
I know it is a meme in this thread, but Arch is seriously the worst distro I have ever used.
>>
>>54009463
This
>>
>>54009443
thats tragic. you fucked up your gentoo install
>>
Installing Arch was very gratifying at the moment, but then I realized how unstable it was, when things stopped working, I could've just gone out of my way to review all the config files as I've done in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Being minimalist and all it went fast, which was great, but the difference to other distros was barely even noticeable, if not for the package count. I still want to go back to Arch one day in the near future and see if I can get into the Arch way.

In the meantime I'll have to admit that Arch was probably the worst distro I've tried so far.
>>
>>54008078
Arch
>>
sabayon.

in part due to the shitty community, in part fabio is a cunt
>>
>install Fedora on decent Chromebook
>runs like shit
>Replace it with Mint
>runs great

Fuck Fedora it's such shit
>>
I haven't tried a vast amount of distros but the one that surprised me the most was debian

I mean, for a start they're the only major non-fsf recommended distro that uses linux-libre by default, and while I can appreciate that greatly, suddenly you require not only linux compatible hardware but deblobbed linux hardware at that

and what's up with new users not having any environment setup? I get it, bash, zsh, plenty of choice, but the first few times I used the distro I was left wondering why new accounts didn't have bash enabled by default (especially since the root account does) - with experience and knowledge it's an easy thing but it really threw me at first

outside of that, I'd probably say slackware for the typical reasons (very few maintainers, unusual stance on package management, etc) but at least the people using slackware are likely to be using it as a hobby or have been using it for decades so know the ins and outs

>>54009203

if it's a freetard os then why doesn't the FSF recommend it? :^)

>>54009213
>has packages that are a decade out of date
>it's unstable as fuck.

coming from someone who has never used fedora, it seems
>>
Arch
>>
>>54008078
scientific linux
>MUH FREE SOFTWAREZ
fuck you and fuck fedora
>>
File: Untitled.png (1008 KB, 1119x775) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1008 KB, 1119x775
>>54008078
I have about as much respect for Arch Linux as I do for the dogshit on my shoe. It is reddit. It is video game hotpocket. It is capeshit. It is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about it.

It is the most depraved video game infantilized manchild degeneracy. It is saturday morning cartoon. It is non-neurotypicality. It is memes. It is video game. It is tarantino. It is imdb.
>>
>>54008078
gentoo. portage is unlogical in practice.
>mask/unmask or no update, huehuehue
>>
Arch: Aurtism
>>
>>54008078
Arch GNU/Linux
>>
>>54008078
grep -v 'buntu$' lunix_distros.txt
>>
Can't decide between Windows 10 and mac os 9
>>
>>54008078
Shitblows 10
>>
>>54008078
Gentoo
>>
>>54014329
get out
>>
>ITT: Pajeet discovers perl scripting to shill against linuz

Ebic i like it
>>
Temple OS
>>
probably crunchbang

like seriously why go to all the effort of not setting up a DE, just to use 80% of the applications from a DE save a basically negligible amount of RAM

lotta people in this thread are saying arch, i don't agree with that, i think arch is useful for educational purposes, and their wiki is amazing, has helped me out so many times

a few people here have said lubuntu, which i also think is a great distro, however, it pisses me off that they break the panel widgets with every single ubuntu update.

by the way, if you want a true linux hell, try one of the ultra-lightweight distros, like DSL
>>
>>54008078
Windows, I never could find the /proc directory.
>>
>>54009213
It's not a RHEL alternative, it's the testbed for RHEL. Its packages aren't a decade out of date, RHEL's are. Fedora's packages are pretty new, not quite Arch but still newer than most distros.

It still sucks, but for fuck's sake know what you're talking about before you brain vomit.
>>
RHEL

every version

i can't explain why, it's like choppy and unusable and rapey
>>
arch
>>
All of them.
>>
>>54008458
This, I expected Ubuntu to be a decent distro for an old laptop but no.
You're better of with installing arch with LXDE then putting over it the minimal amount of fonts, proper drivers and w/e else lightweight software, works much better.
>>
>>54008078
>What is the worst distro you have ever used and why?

Redhat Linux 1.1 and windows 95
both reasons where that they lacked full HDD drive functions and crashed alot because of bad backend drivers until a major bloat patch fixed it all.

and goodness knows if you get a no brand legacy device working.

thankfully youngfags will never know this feel
>>
>>54009207
>outdated shit
that's only the case of Stable minus backports.

>missing firmware
Debian won't include firmware that doesn't respect your freedom. You have the option to add it yourself, and their own website provides it.
>>
MANDRIVA
A
N
D
R
I
V
A
>>
>>54009279
>newer versions
Isn't Slackware rolling distro?
>>
>>54008458

What!?

How can you possibly manage to fuck up Lubuntu?

Do you also wear Velcro shoes because you 'can't get laces to work right?'
>>
Arch is a tremendous fuck around for no reason.

Installing Arch reminds me of all the hoops you had to jump through installing Linux ten years ago because the wifi or display drivers were always fucked.

Arch is pretty much 'throw back' Linux in that regard.
>>
>>54019221
Nah that's Gentoo mate. Arch just requires you to tell it what you want installing (just installing a group like xfce4 is enough for most people), everything just werks once you do
>>
>>54019455

Then Arch has gotten significantly better since I last attempted to use it, circa 2008 or 2009
>>
>>54019536
Yeah I'll give you that, it was pretty annoying having to explicitly enable DBUS and HAL
>>
Arch and Debian are both shit for different reasons.

I hate Arch more though.

To all the people who have only used Arch and Debian, I feel bad for you. Literally anything is better.
>>
I love all these posts just list 'arch' without any reason, and nobody contests the posts that lists non-arch distros that include reasons

sure doesn't seem like SHILLING is going on

>>54016241
>It's not a RHEL alternative, it's the testbed for RHEL.

rhel only funds the fedora project and has no say in its development, that's why the fedora project takes a very foss stance on what can be included in the repos but rhel doesn't have such policies

>>54018394
>Isn't Slackware rolling distro?

slackware is a release based distro, it's just not time bound (because there's almost no developers/maintainers for the distro)
>>
There is no such thing as a decent linux distro. They are all a waste of time. Save yourself the effort.
>>
>>54019981

Negative, ghost rider:

Xubuntu as of 14+ is, in my opinion, the first serious contender for a viable replacement to a properly configured Windows machine.

Linux is still handicapped by not having a robust software ecosystem for non mainstream software, but Xubuntu is pretty close to the mark now.
>>
>Arch follows the KISS philosophy
>makepkg is a 3K lines Bash script
>>
>>54008078
what a cute boy
>>
I agree
>>
>>54020148
god I never linked bash scripts. they are just a pain to properly ready and write to me. From a modern perspective it's like a high level language that tried to look like fortran just without the clarity
>>
>>54009277
There is no reason to anon...
>>
>>54016886
>and crashed alot

With or without any survivors?
>>
Arch.
>>
ZorinOS
>>
Arch Hurd.
>>
Jolicloud
>>
>>54008078
Arch
>>
>>54010712
I cringed so hard reading this.
>>
Ubuntu. It's the only one I've tried. Gave up because wifi wouldn't work.
>>
Double Arches.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.