[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to this thing, anyway? A modular phone seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
File: Phoneblok-Motorola.jpg (84 KB, 880x555) Image search: [Google]
Phoneblok-Motorola.jpg
84 KB, 880x555
What happened to this thing, anyway?

A modular phone seems like a really good idea
>>
Lg g5
>>
If i remember correctly they're gonna start testing this soon somewhere in south america, i wanna say brazil but im not sure.
>>
>>53985445
Puerto rico i think
>>
Fairphone 2
>>
>>53985308
Oh good now when retards drop their oversized hard-to-hold phablets, they will explode into a billion pieces. "Anyone seen my camera? I can't find my RAM either."
>>
>>53985445
i thought this was going to be a high end product, why test it in a poorfag country? good to hear that they haven't abandoned the idea, though
>>
>>53985445
Wasn't that last year? I like the idea, but very few people will actually buy it, and that's only if it costs as much as a regular smartphone, if it costs more than that, it's doomed.
>>
Supposed to come out this year, release moved from Puerto Rico to the US because not enough poorfags in PR.
>>
>>53985527
I think it's because they don't know how the average consumer will respond to the idea, and Puerto Rico has a weird political situation with the US that makes it kind of part of USA land for some cases, so I guess they wanted to go safe first and they didn't have to pay much taxes or something like that.
>>
>>53985652
Shit, meant to >>53985500
>>
>>53985308
>seems
key word
>>
>>53985308
>What happened to this thing, anyway?
They realized it's stupid idea.
>>
>>53985490
More like Scamphone.
>>
>>53985308
Because the average consumer won't give enough of a shit to determine what they would want. And it makes phones even easier to break
>>
From what I've read, it's just a basic phone that you can swap cameras, buttons, batteries, etc from. Are any of the "modules" actual phone parts like CPU or RAM? Cause it's pretty revolutionary if that's the case. Google's even hoping for $50 starter kits with individual pieces being like $15 a pop.
>>
>>53985493
This problem is easily fixed with a case.
>>
Stupid idea imho, most normalfags will just buy 2-3 modules and then switch to the next iPhone because they find it too complicated.
>>
>>53985308
>A modular phone seems like a really good idea
It never was.
The weight and size increase caused by the "borders" between computers doesn't outweight the modularity.
>>
>>53985472
It was but they decided against it due to receding economy in the island.
At least that's the official version.
>>
>>53985308
that thing seems really ugly and unusable, its not practical at all
>>
>>53985308
>get phone wet
>water gets between the contacts and you are fucked
Also what if you slid the CPU out while using the phone?
>>
Project Ara is a brilliant idea.
>>
>>53985308
>modular
>on mobile devices
>mobile

no thanks, that shit could get loose parts even faster than a samsung booth girl or any chink shit on market.
>>
>>53985308
>A modular phone seems like a really good idea
To complete retards.
>>
>>53989393
this. There's a reason laptops are much less modular than desktop computers.
>>
>>53992779
>Also what if you slid the CPU out while using the phone?

What if you popped the battery out while using the phone? Good thing no phones let you do that.
>>
>>53992779
Full retard
>>
google bought moto then dropped them. Project Ara is kinda in the air.

Phone manufacturers are trying to get their phones as small as possible. Replaceable parts don't go well with small.
>>
>>53993259
hipsters and neckbeard never understand technical stuffs. perhaps more like overestimated.

thats why kikestarters are in such good demand. no skies is too high for dreamers.
>>
>>53993028
>no phones let you pop the battery while using it
Anon, you are an idiot
>>
>>53989393
this is it. how are there people on /g/ who need to be explained this stuff?
>>
I'm sure there's plenty of things that make this a dumb idea.

But cameras, RAM etc... falling off isn't one of them.

Put on a case, problem more or less solved.
>>
>>53993385
then comes the millions of customized cases needed to fit any given phone
>>
>>53992965
>loose parts even faster than a Samsung booth girl

So....like a k-pop idol?
>>
>>53993433
look for k-pop scandals, you'll see how many of those video exists that shows all the sex moves before they got famous or right after they got right out of the plastic factory.

Anyway, nuff said, plastic factory.
>>
Because it's ugly as fuck. Seriously, that's the main reason.
>>
File: 1165879170291.jpg (33 KB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1165879170291.jpg
33 KB, 350x300
>>53988060
>This problem is easily fixed with a case.
And you think people will have that much brainpower to figure that out? Reminder that this happened.
>>
It honestly *sounds* like a good idea, but its not.

It makes thing unnecessarily bulk.

Now every component has its own housing
Just look at all those points of failure/water/dirt contamination.

People generally are on 2 year contracts and don't care about this stuff, they will get a new phone every time their contracts are up.
>>
"Just make it modular"

It's not going to last. Technology doesn't just interface like Legos, especially with mobile size requirements.
>>
>>53994488
Inb4 fucking autists will bring Nasa up and the rover + the docking platform or such similar comparison.
>>
>>53993259
They didn't drop it. It's still a good idea, they just couldn't get the internal component network interface fast and stable enough for the module framework to work consistently.
It's still in development, but it needs a whole lot of custom hardware R&D. It's literally neva been don befaoh and it's taking a lot longer than anticipated.
>>
>>53994697
Inb4 citation needed. lol.

Personally viewing from business pov, its not feasible for the whole system life cycle.
>>
>>53985308
They had them in production but they broke into a dozen pieces in the drop tests. Turns out these things are more fragile than origami.
>>
>>53994697
No I mean google dropped moto. Bought em, took their patents, sold em
>>
Ara ara!~
>>
>>53995199
Google never wanted to produce Motorola phones.
They used the acquisition like a club to beat Samsung into submission by threatening to release phones with a very low profit margin with great versions of android under a brand already known to the world, as well as threatening to patent troll.
It's the reason that Samsung TouchWiz has got less bloated and closer to stock Android.

They bought Motorola for $12.5b
They then sold off the handset and home divisions for $5.5b, holding onto the $3b of cash assests and patent portfilio worth $3.5b. It was a brilliant move by Google, as they only spent $7b, and got more value for that $7b than they would have if they bought the patents and research division independantly.
>>
>>53985472
Ecuador
>>
>>53985308
That's the most horrible thing I've ever seen, and I've seen you're mothe'r naked.
>>
File: nexpaq.jpg (31 KB, 569x394) Image search: [Google]
nexpaq.jpg
31 KB, 569x394
Anyone heard about this thing?
>>
>>53997268
Haven't heard of that one. I have seen one "modular" case that used magnetic attachments. The only example I remember was a battery
>>
>>53994697
Didnt they only have a short ass time frame to make it work anyway? I feel bad for those guys

>>53995477
Good
>>
>>53993337
he was being sarcastic
>>
File: .jpe.jpg (10 KB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
.jpe.jpg
10 KB, 299x299
>>53985493
>>53988060
>>53994397
ever wonder why expensive cameras have wrist straps?
or why anything has wrist straps?
>>
>>53985308
Devs realized people don't give a flying fuck about customization and everyone will buy same generic huge display rectangular data processing device anyway
>>
>>53998381
Ever wonder why people still don't use them?
>>
>>53998605
because they're a slight inconvinience (not nearly as much as dropping and breaking your device) and people think they're better than everyone else and will surely never drop anything
>>
Jews weren't ok with the idea
>>
>>53985308
Maybe because there's no real point to it. Releasing a particular model with a couple variations would achieve the exact same thing.
>>
Modular anything is a fucking scam. I remember back in the 90s you can run any game with ease with any computer. Nowadays, if you want to run a modern game, you need to buy a fucking gtx 9000 whatever bullshit card to run it. It's going to be the same with these fucking phones.
>>
>>53995159
>they broke into a dozen pieces in the drop tests

Correct. The electro-permanent magnets weren't strong enough to pass a drop test.
>>
>>53994397
>stop throwing me at your fucking tv
where do i get a 'fucking tv' ? Sounds great
>>
>>53985321
The thread should've closed after this post.
OP is a fucking retard.
>>
>>53998853
>I remember back in the 90s you can run any game with ease with any computer.

Same

WTF happened!
>>
>>53999367
>WTF happened!
games got better is what.
>>
>>53999257
They should've had locking sliders or something.
>>
>>53995477
Software patents are bullshit anyway, and should be completely scrapped.
>>
>>53999257
How high were the drop tests from? Did the phones still work after they were reassembled? I feel like if the latter was "yes" then the former is irrelevant. Having a phone that still works after you drop it even if you have to put it back together > phone that stops working period, even though it's still in one piece.
>>
>>53999325
>what happened to ARA

>LG G5 happened

ara ara, you are truly stupid
>>
>>53999325
wtf does the g5 have to do with project ara, google, ort motorola? please enlighten me, you fucking dullard.
>>
>>53999807
games got better graphics* is what.
>>
File: 0000000.jpg (46 KB, 340x314) Image search: [Google]
0000000.jpg
46 KB, 340x314
>>53998381
>Having to use a wrist strap with your phone
Good one m8
>>
>>53993028
i had that problem with my nokia 5110, after long talking i automatically started playing with the little battery release button at the back
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.