[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Get a new laptop, decide to install Linux on it since it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: T61ZKBqh.jpg (45 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
T61ZKBqh.jpg
45 KB, 1024x576
>Get a new laptop, decide to install Linux on it since it runs Windows XP and can't upgrade to anything else.
>Pick Debian because its the one I'm most familiar with
>Pic related shows up on every login and when the screen locks with a fresh install.
>Print screen button doesn't work, binded to "gnome-screencap," which did not install at all since I did not install GNOME.
>Takes several hours to get the wireless card working.
>Font rendering on more resource-light browsers is god-awful.
>Random crashes after laptop wakes up from sleep.
>No driver available for the ancient integrated graphics.

Windows has never given me this many problems...
>>
Update xscreensaver you dumbass
>>
>>53978214
>I'm an idiot so it's the softwares fault
>>
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
>>
>>53978224
It's Debian, he'd be be locked into whatever version is offered (usually outdated) assuming he installed stable and not testing or unstable.
>>
HURR DURR
>>
>Pick Debian

I reformatted and don't have any reaction images. Can someone give me a suitable one?
>>
>>53978214
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819703

tl;dr: jwz is an asscrack
>>
File: 1138310524403.jpg (17 KB, 321x480) Image search: [Google]
1138310524403.jpg
17 KB, 321x480
>>53978255
Shouldn't he be getting a backported package?

>>53978296
>>
>>53978214
>>Get a new laptop, decide to install Linux on it since it runs Windows XP and can't upgrade to anything else.
>>Pick Debian because its the one I'm most familiar with

clearly fucking not familiar with it, debian is not a beginner's distribution, it's old (i.e., "stable") and convoluted with the sheer amount of crap you're going to need to know to get a usable system

>Pic related shows up on every login and when the screen locks with a fresh install.

howse that STABLE working out for you

it's not a desktop (i.e., laptop) distribution unless you use testing or unstable or whatever, don't expect old server releases to have up to date software (they receive security and maybe bugfixes, nothing else)

>Print screen button doesn't work, binded to "gnome-screencap," which did not install at all since I did not install GNOME.

looking at any of the desktop threads or using google to find a terminal screenshot tool, i.e., scrot, is too much for you?

again, debian, not a beginner fucking distro

>Takes several hours to get the wireless card working.

so you have an ancient broadcom card that STILL have problems to this day, good job, you found the one situation 10 years ago where linux has significant driver problems

>Font rendering on more resource-light browsers is god-awful.
>Random crashes after laptop wakes up from sleep.
>No driver available for the ancient integrated graphics.

OLD AS FUCKING SHIT SERVER DISTRIBUTION NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BEGINNERS OR DESKTOP USAGE, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OUT OF IT

I feel like every fucking anti-linux thread is created by a troll or a retard, jesus
>>
There was some heated drama about this.
Cringe.
Apply any of the .patch files from here
>>53978301

Or use something other then XScrensaver
>>
>>53978255
>>53978296
>>53978348
>>
>>53978301
>> However, as a user I find these warnings rude and obnoxious, and I wish my computer not to be obnoxious to me.
>I find your request to be obnoxious and I wish to not have read it, but sadly we don't always get what we want.
>--
>Jamie Zawinski

This is what happens when autists get together to create an operating system.
>>
Use a debian fork. Ubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>53978363
Debian is shit. And yes, many distros come with different packages, you know you can control your wifi with either netctl or NetworkManager, maybe debian comes by default with one or the other, so yes a different distro might provide different results.
>>
>>53978372
>This is what happens when autists get together to create an operating system.
For a moment I thought you were referring to TempleOS

>>53978402
see >>53978363
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>53978363

yeah, except, you know, your pic fucking related is about ubuntu which uses the linux kernel by default which includes proprietary blob firmwares to initialise shit like wifi cards out of the box, unlike debian which uses linux-libre which very rarely runs well out of the box on most setups

and, you know, ubuntu being THE beginner and THE desktop distro, should be expected to work with wifi cards, laptop lid management, suspend/hibernate out of the box, unlike fucking debian which doesn't pretend to be and rarely offers any of those things out of the box

congratulations, your pic argues against any point you were trying to make, now fuck off and be retarded somewhere else
>>
>>53978348
Did you miss your last dose of prozac? so op is linux illiterate so what? fact is linux always created a reputation for itself as being a lighter os than windows and people have the expectation that it would work on deprecated hardware, don't jump on new users for listening to the linux propaganda.

>>53978214
try different distros, try different drivers, go to forums until you find the fix.
>>
>>53978214
>Pick Debian
It's your own damn fault. If you're a beginner, you have no business running an advanced server distro like Debian.

On any Linux site, people will tell you to start with something like Ubuntu.
>>
>>53978426
>and, you know, ubuntu being THE beginner and THE desktop distro, should be expected to work with wifi cards, laptop lid management, suspend/hibernate out of the box, unlike fucking debian which doesn't pretend to be and rarely offers any of those things out of the box
>He actually believes that ubuntu works out of box in all and any configuration.
That's quite delusional, but I won't keep you from thinking that's the case. After all, people running linux go the extra shitty mile of spending their time researching for a machine that "supported" (i.e. old hardware; e.g. thinkpads) and then they claim that Linux just works, misleading anyone who actually want to use modern hardware.
But whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>53978348
Oh boy, the "Arch is le 1337" edgemaster has arrived.

>clearly fucking not familiar with it, debian is not a beginner's distribution
why
>it's old
Yes! It's great, actually. I don't have to worry about regressions, and I get an email whenever security patches are backported.
>(i.e., "stable")
>howse that STABLE working out for you
Please go to bing.com and search for the definition of the word "stable," Mr. Edgyman
>It's not a desktop (i.e., laptop) distribution
Maybe you could explain how it works so well on my school laptop then. Or maybe how any other distribution would work better.

I used Arch before, but this happened: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46315. That's right, the maintainer broke my word processor the night an assignment was due by enabling a feature upstream did not support. But hey, bleeding edge is SO COOL, right?
>looking at any of the desktop threads or using google to find a terminal screenshot tool, i.e., scrot, is too much for you?
You really nailed him there. You're such a badass.
>again, debian, not a beginner fucking distro
nice meme, again
>OLD AS FUCKING SHIT
Jessie's freeze happened in November 2014. It hasn't even been two years -- how is that "old as fucking shit," and if it is, why is that inherently bad if it's still maintained by someone?
>SERVER DISTRIBUTION
As I've said, absolutely untrue, Mr. Arch Me-me-man.
>NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BEGINNERS
great memeing. Top-tier.
>OR DESKTOP USAGE
Wow. Excellent stuff here.
>WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OUT OF IT
Actually, OP is right to expect xscreensaver to behave properly. Hence the bug report I posted earlier: >>53978301
>>
>>53978363
Your pic is about Ubuntu. If OP were running Ubuntu and it didn't work right, I would absolutely say it's Ubuntu's fault since Ubuntu is built for compatibility and ease of use.

But Debian is made for sysadmins. Ease of configuration for beginning desktop users is not a priority.
>>
>>53978506
Like if those problems were Ubuntu only, after all, any and all distros are just a rehashed version of a different distro, with all the same upstream packages.
>>
>paid MS trolling bullshit
NO ONE REPLY
EVERYONE REPORT
EMAIL MODS AND TELL THEM TO STOP TAKING MICROSOFT MONEY TO TROLL THEIR SHIT HERE, /g/ IS SUFFERING
>>
>>53978214
just get ubuntu mate and be done with it.
>>
>>53978502
>Arch is le 1337
No one said anything about Arch. Arch is even more beginner-unfriendly than Debian. I would recommend Ubuntu.

>Yes! It's great, actually. I don't have to worry about regressions, and I get an email whenever security patches are backported.
Yes, it is great. I use Debian on my laptop.
But I would NEVER recommend it for a beginner. Configuration is too hard. Ubuntu has friendly GUIs for most settings and is configured for desktop use by default. With Debian, you have to know a great deal about computers to get something even vaguely usable.>>53978493
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.gif (750 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.gif
750 KB, 245x300
>MFW there are people on g who don't use lo/g/os

*Sighs Loudly*
>>
>>53978214
Debian isn't a really good distribution to use for desktops. You can't add PPA sources to debian and have access to launchpad's big (non-free) software library.

Ubuntu minimal is better to use for desktop use than Debian. Use 14.04 or wait for 16.04 next week if you want something stable.
>>
>>53978459
>so op is linux illiterate so what?

the problem is that he's running a non-desktop distribution and most of his problems are specific to running the distro on a desktop

let's take one,

okay, so on a desktop distribution a maintainer might note that non-gnome desktop environments don't have print screen functionality because they don't include all dependencies, will make a note of it, patch it, ??? problem solved

but debian not being aimed at end-desktop users, isn't going to put anywhere near their limited amount of man-hours into fixing desktop specific problems

this is where debian not being recommended to beginners or desktop users comes in, it's *not* a pleasant experience, it's a distro where people use it because they know what to expect of the distro (i.e., stable packages suitable for running on a server where x isn't likely to be installed, or if it is, not likely to be used as a primary means to administrating the system)

>fact is linux always created a reputation for itself as being a lighter os than windows and people have the expectation that it would work on deprecated hardware

while I don't agree with the conclusion, linux typically does run far lighter than windows ever does and on old hardware, with distros from the decade that are still supported, the problem is that linux has fairly widespread backwards compatibility issues, and we're talking about a laptop from at least 10 years ago

(fwiw, my laptop from 9 years ago has no problems running modern fedora releases barring problematic broadcom wifi cards - I had to ditch the broadcom wifi because 802.11 g isn't fast enough and the 2 broadcom drivers had intermittent problems or didn't work and the 3rd wasn't compiling on fedora - likely worked on ubuntu)
>>
>>53978493
>He actually believes that ubuntu works out of box in all and any configuration.
No one claims this. Hardware compatibility is improving rapidly and problems rarely render a machine unusable these days, but it is still important to do research and make sure your machine supports Linux.

Still, it's a hell of a lot better than Debian.

>i.e. old hardware; e.g. thinkpads
People use old Thinkpads because they're badass. The great Linux support is only part of it.
>>
>>53978604
>Thinkpads because they're badass
I was actually going to reply to you... have a video instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVrQdz_x9hs
>>
>>53978493
>>He actually believes that ubuntu works out of box in all and any configuration.
>That's quite delusional, but I won't keep you from thinking that's the case.

ubuntu compared to debian? you can bet your fucking arse that it's going to be better supported out of the box by virtue of using the linux kernel over debian's linux-libre alone, never mind all the fucking work that goes into making ubuntu less painful on the desktop

>After all, people running linux go the extra shitty mile of spending their time researching for a machine that "supported" (i.e. old hardware; e.g. thinkpads)

>listening to /g/

>and then they claim that Linux just works

you're saying people say linux just works? and I'm the delusional one? get the fuck out of here
>>
>>53978459
>fact is linux always created a reputation for itself as being a lighter os than windows and people have the expectation that it would work on deprecated hardware
It works a hell of a lot better than Windows. Windows 7 will just plain not run on anything with less than 2 GiB RAM. A mostly functional machine beats a totally nonfunctional one.

And Ubuntu would probably work better than Debian.
>>
>>53978459
He's right though, debian is not a beginners distro.

>don't jump on new users for listening to the linux propaganda.
Are you an SJW?
>>
>>53978633
>ubuntu compared to debian? you can bet your fucking arse that it's going to be better supported out of the box by virtue of using the linux kernel over debian's linux-libre alone, never mind all the fucking work that goes into making ubuntu less painful on the desktop
>you're saying people say linux just works? and I'm the delusional one? get the fuck out of here

Still hardware support is still and issue since you are intentionally leaving the modern hardware part out.

Nice debate skills man.
>>
>>53978657
>Are you an SJW?
the horror!
>>
>>53978625
I don't care about the stereotypes of Thinkpad users. Most /g/ users are losers, but old Thinkpads are still badass. Your personal attacks don't say anything about the machines.

And seeing as you're shitposting on /g/, it's not wise of you to call other people neckbeards. "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones" and all that.
>>
>>53978502
>Oh boy, the "Arch is le 1337" edgemaster has arrived.

I'm arguing against the virtues of using a difficult distro to a beginner and you think I'm suddenly an arch? get the fuck off your high horse

I use fedora, and would recommend ubuntu to anyone without experience, and somewhat implied op should have been using it here: >>53978363

but what's the matter, arch too difficult for you that you have to lash out to anyone that's ranting about people using debian and having a hard time?

>Please go to bing.com and search for the definition of the word "stable," Mr. Edgyman

try google and try looking up what stable means in the context of linux distributions, fucktard

bleeding edge which is basically what desktop release distributions (ubuntu, fedora) offer is comparable to stable on every other platform

>Maybe you could explain how it works so well on my school laptop then.

your school laptop has a wifi card that runs without blobs, congratulations -- wifi drivers not being supported well with blobs nevermind without blobs was the primary issue to people not being able to use linux 7~ odd years ago until they did away with ndiswrapper

>Or maybe how any other distribution would work better.

here's an idea, using recent packages that don't complain about being old

also >>53978603

>I used Arch before

cool story, I haven't

>nice meme, again
>>
>>53978231
>I'm an idiot so it's the software's fault
This is the same argument you can use against linuxtards who won't use windows.
>>
>>53978694
>Still hardware support is still and issue
Things like wi-fi drivers haven't been an issue for years. Most problems these days are minor inconveniences, not system-breaking. It's not nearly as much of an issue as some people think it is.
>>
1. why are you using SJWian?
2. why are you using LXDE???

install arch and use MATE, it's much nicer than LXDE and isn't a memeish windows xp clone.
>>
>>53978769
>install arch
FUCK no. If someone can't use Debian, what makes you think they can use Arch?
>>
continuing from >>53978745

>>53978502
>nice meme, again

"Debian is hard to configure."
Note that this says configure, not install, as some people find the initial installation of Debian easier than Windows. A lot of hardware (printers for example) could be made easier to set up, though. Also, some software could have a script that would walk the user through the configuration (at least for the most common setups). This is an area that is being worked on.

"Not all hardware is supported."
Particularly, really new, really old, or really rare hardware. Also hardware that is dependent on complex "driver" software that the manufacturer only supplies for Windows platforms (software modems or some laptop wifi devices for example). However, in most cases, equivalent hardware is available that does work with Debian. Some hardware is not supported because the vendor chooses not to make the hardware specifications available. This is also an area that is being worked on.

but no, please keep up with your ruse that debian is a desktop distribution that supports common things like printers out of the box and laptop wifi cards :^)

>Jessie's freeze happened in November 2014. It hasn't even been two years -- how is that "old as fucking shit,"

see op's fucking picture

2 years and a bit is ancient as far as software is concerned, why do you think everyone using debian on the desktop recommends testing and unstable?

>why is that inherently bad if it's still maintained by someone?

backporting security patches is fine but as sign that the distro probably isn't going to do well on the desktop that might want software versions from this year

>As I've said, absolutely untrue, Mr. Arch Me-me-man.

again, fedora, a proper desktop distribution (along with ubuntu) :^)

>>WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OUT OF IT
>Actually,

actually, maybe op wants a working system
>>
>>53978800
Arch is dying after the 3.20 release. Wait a few weeks for things to calm down.
>>
Stick to noobuntu. Debian is shit on desktop.
>>
>>53978800
There are a lot of up to date guides for installing arch. Teaches way more than ubuntu
>>
>>53978761
>Things like wi-fi drivers haven't been an issue for years
Yeah, the current hot issue is dual video card support. With Linux, the ride truly never ends, unless they stop inventing new hardware.

>Most problems these days are minor inconveniences, not system-breaking. It's not nearly as much of an issue as some people think it is.
>pic related, applies to hardware too.
>>
>>53978523

it's not just the fucking packages that count, it's the configuration and maintenance that distro maintainers put into the system

as it turns out, ubuntu works hard to work well on the biggest range of hardware providing the most driver support

debian's approach? well, it's the only major distribution to use the inferior linux-libre kernel for desktop hardwre but provide non-free software in the repos, what a fucking juxtaposition

>>53978694
>Still hardware support is still and issue since you are intentionally leaving the modern hardware part out.

nice fucking reading comprehension mate

debian will be inferior to ubuntu PURELY because debian uses linux-libre by default, linux-libre STRIPS HARDWARE SUPPORT because it does not include firmware that has proprietary blobs required for the more common desktop hardware such as wifi cards
>>
>>53978863
>With Linux, the ride truly never ends, unless they stop inventing new hardware.

or, you know, hardware developers hire competent software engineers to write non-shit drivers

nice pic btw, I'm sure you'll convince everybody with factitious arguments to counter imaginary strawmen
>>
File: Spectacle.XF1721.png (66 KB, 1184x400) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.XF1721.png
66 KB, 1184x400
>>53978502
>I used Arch before, but this happened: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46315. That's right, the maintainer broke my word processor the night an assignment was due by enabling a feature upstream did not support. But hey, bleeding edge is SO COOL, right?
Are you nuts? you can just change the vclplugin easily:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LibreOffice#Theme
You're not only cherrypicking but your example is pretty easy to fix in less than one minute.
>>
>>53978727
Look man, this is where reading comprehension comes in handy.

If you base hardware selection on
1. Whether your hardware is old enough to be fully supported
2. The perceived badass-ery (whatever you understand by that) rather than actual facts and specs.
Then you're locking yourself out of seeing what new hardware is actually capable of. Oh wait, you can't check what modern hardware is actually capable of even if you have it, because the OS of your choice doesn't support it.

And then again, what 99% percent of the users do is buy modern hardware. And then are in for a blast if and when they decide to give linux a try and see that shit doesn't fully work.
>>
>>53978769
>install arch
lmfao if OP cant get debian working, what makes you think he'll bother with making arch work on ~7 year old hardware
>>
>he fell for the Debian meme
>is stuck with an old as fuck version of xcreensaver
lmao dude
>>
>>53978916
>hardware developers hire competent software engineers to write non-shit drivers
and who's meant to hire those engineers? Because last time I checked they were delivering drivers for all the relevant OS out there. Talk about moving the goal post.
>>
>>53978800
Install i3, no DE bloat
>>
>>53978973
>Because last time I checked they were delivering drivers for all the relevant OS out there.

which is why they've committed support to linux and amd have gone ahead with a unified open source driver

if linux weren't relevant they would have dropped support 5+ years ago when linux really had no games

but okay, continue to believe the misleading <1% use linux steam os hardware surveys all you like :^)
>>
>>53978863
>Yeah, the current hot issue is dual video card support.
Exactly. The problem is with new and exotic systems. Most laptops work just fine.

And that is not Linux's fault. Blame your hardware manufacturer for not releasing drivers. I understand that it doesn't matter to users, but it annoys me when people act like the failure of vendors to release their PROPRIETARY drivers is the fault of FOSS developers.

>pic related, applies to hardware too.
A non-functional fingerprint scanner is FAR from system-breaking. If someone needs unsupported hardware they are out of luck, but most of that hardware is pretty exotic. Most people do not need it.

Please try to actually read what I write. I know you enjoy posting your snarky images, but posting them when they aren't even vaguely relevant is stupid.
>>
>>53978745
>I'm arguing against the virtues of using a difficult distro to a beginner and you think I'm suddenly an arch?
Not on a high horse, I just assume that most bleeding edge memers are Arch users. It's not an unfair assumption, let's be honest.
>arch too difficult for you
I guess reading the bug report I linked was too difficult for you.
>try google
Heyyy, you've discovered Google!
>try looking up what stable means in the context of linux distributions
Why don't you tell me, Mr. Bravery, since you seem to be an expert on the topic.
>fucktard
so brave
>here's an idea, using recent packages
the bleeding edge meme returns

>>53978801
I agree that Debian isn't designed for beginners, but that's no fault of Debian, and it doesn't mean that OP should stop using it.

>your ruse that debian is a desktop distribution
Should we tell him, guys?
>that supports common things like printers out of the box and laptop wifi cards
both work for me dood
>see op's fucking picture
April 10th, 2016: the day when jwz became the unquestionable judge of when software becomes "old as fucking shit."
>2 years and a bit
Whoa, it's November now? You're a time traveler AND a brave mememaster?
>everyone using debian on the desktop recommends testing and unstable
hi
>actually, maybe op wants a working system
which Debian can provide.

>>53978918
>you can just change the vclplugin easily:
I did, buddy. And that's not "cherrypicking" -- it's an easily-recalled example of what using Debian stable prevents.

When I'm working on an assignment, I don't want my word processor to crash instantly when I try to save my work. Whether I can truly fix the issue in "less than one minute" (patently false btw) is irrelevant. I don't want to deal with it in the first place, and now I don't.
>>
>>53978214
>new
>xp
Pick one.
>>
>>53978943
>Whether your hardware is old enough to be fully supported
I do not even run Linux on my X220. My Linux machine is a Dell XPS 13 my work bought me. It has official Linux support and works perfectly.

You are totally full of shit. Many modern machines have full Linux support. Most modern machines without full Linux support still work pretty much perfectly.
>>
>>53978625
holy shit that video really screams disgruntled macfag
>>
>>53978943
>The perceived badass-ery (whatever you understand by that) rather than actual facts and specs.
Do you always interpret what others say in the worst possible way? It's insufferable.

Thinkpads are dirt cheap and well built. They have excellent keyboards. They are powerful for the price. They are some of the only recent laptops that are made to be repairable and upgradeable. They have excellent connectivity. They have trackpoints, which some people vastly prefer to touchpads.

That is what I meant by "badass," as you would know if you had tried to understand what I was saying rather than launching straight into holier-than-thou mockery.

You are making no attempt to be honest in this discussion, so fuck off.
>>
>>53979147
>XPS 13
You can buy those with Ubuntu on them, right? I know that Dell ships several models with Ubuntu preinstalled.
>>
>>53979064
>Not on a high horse, I just assume that most bleeding edge memers are Arch users. It's not an unfair assumption, let's be honest.

well okay then, thanks for being reasonable

>I guess reading the bug report I linked was too difficult for you.

I didn't bother because I knew the response would be "update your packages", and it was literally the first response

but it's not an issue I expect to have to deal with from a desktop distribution, software telling you it's so old and to update

>Heyyy, you've discovered Google!

:^)

>Why don't you tell me

stable contrary to bleeding edge (fedora, ubuntu, opensuse, etc), of course some people take bleeding edge to mean unstable which shouldn't be the case because packages are put out as unstable, or as release candidates

>the bleeding edge meme returns

don't get me wrong, stable branches work for a lot of things, just not for a lot of things that people may enjoy like browsers or desktop environments etc

>but that's no fault of Debian

I don't think it's a fault of debian, -- the distro works well for those who know what to expect out of it and that it may require a bit of work but the results will have been worth it, I'd probably be using debian if I was in that family of distros but instead I'm a redhat guy and centos is far less unusable on the desktop than debian ever will be
>>
>>53979064
>the bleeding edge meme returns
Using packages that aren't years old is not "the bleeding edge meme." Debian stable uses ancient packages. It is possible to use a distro with more current packages without going all the way to bleeding edge.
>>
>>53978214
>Pick Gentoo, had to read a wiki article.
Windows has never given me this many problems...
>>
cont. >>53979352 >>53979064

>and it doesn't mean that OP should stop using it.

on the contrary, op has a problem with 'linux having so many problems' but many of them stem from using an unfriendly distro (okay I'll stop saying desktop, quit memeing me) that doesn't put a lot of effort into integrating desktop things too well, otherwise packages such as xscreensaver wouldn't be too old and whatever DE op is using wouldn't require packages that aren't installed with whatever DE he's using -- not to mention debian using linux-libre which won't even have the broken version of the driver for the wifi card he's using literally requiring op to get the drivers on another computer, nevermind having font rendering working well out of the box -- an issue many distros face

about the only thing I'd expect debian to do well for on op would be graphics drivers for his old integrated -- even recent fedora releases work with my integrated amd graphics on my 9 year old laptop

>Should we tell him, guys?

of course all distros can be used on the desktop but not every distro tries to make the experience as painless and integrated as possible, anything that uses linux-libre by default is going to make any distro painful to use unless you're using it for reasons of freedom (and if your hardware isn't supported like in op's case then you're shit out of luck)

>both work for me dood

wifi clearly didn't work for op out of the box but works once he had drivers - that would have been provided in the mainline linux kernel

>You're a time traveler AND a brave mememaster?

yes, I come from the year 2017

updates to report: hardware compatibility still sucks on linux, vr is a huge disaster, buy amd stocks, debian still using too old packages to be considered on the desktop

>which Debian can provide.

can provide but isn't doing a good job of doing out of the box with minimal issues in this case

anyway I'm off, it was fun anon
>>
>>53979352
>:^)
apologies for the memeing
>I don't think it's a fault of debian, -- the distro works well for those who know what to expect out of it and that it may require a bit of work but the results will have been worth it
yep, exactly
>I'd probably be using debian if I was in that family of distros but instead I'm a redhat guy and centos is far less unusable on the desktop than debian ever will be
I haven't used CentOS etc., but I respect this.

I think we mostly agree. Going to bed now, gn <3
>>
>>53979442
>can provide but isn't doing a good job of doing out of the box with minimal issues in this case
actually agree with this, too
>anyway I'm off, it was fun anon
thanks, you too. see ya around
>>
>>53978657
Don't you think that it is a problem to jump on beginners for not being experts? We all benefit from the wide spread adoption that would come with more users to the operating system.
>>
File: 1456323936389.png (250 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1456323936389.png
250 KB, 700x600
>>53978214
>>
>>53978224
Debian stable only updates their packages if a major bug/security flaw is found that a later version corrects.
>>
>>53979029
In reality, no, it isn't their fault, but when the platform's proponents act like childish mactards, putting people down and smugly proclaiming their platform to be objectively superior in every respect to others and attempt to make them switch, then it's not really surprising when the new users' collective ire is directed at the shitheads who told them to switch instead of the hardware vendors who simply looked at the numbers and deemed the platform not worth their time and investment.
>>
>>53978214
should have gone with opensuse leap, boi
>>
>>53978214
>Pick Debian because its the one I'm most familiar with

So familiar with it you don't know it's shit for desktop.

Sounds like you should go back to Windows if you're too stupid to make your own choices :^).

Better yet, why not get a tablet?
>>
>>53981025
That picture.. there's some truth to some of the points in it.
>>
Debian is trash, pick another distro
>>
>>53978214
>since it runs Windows XP and can't upgrade to anything else.
>>Windows has never given me this many problems...
I see a problem right there.
I thought Windows' big strength was the backwards compatibility. Can't you run Win10 on a 386/44?
>>
>>53981578
debian is fine for desktop, OP is having problems because he's running ancient closed hardware
>>
>>53978214
> Not using the testing stretch nonfree iso
> expecting it bit using wrong iso
> not muh fault for being to stupid to read el description
> being unable to make Screenshots
> acting like its complicated
> muh windows wey bettur cause me no needs to think a little bit
Tech illiterate gtfo
>>
>New laptop
>Can't run anything but XP or linux

what the fuck are you talking about
>>
File: coco (3).png (94 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
coco (3).png
94 KB, 512x480
whats the difference between ubuntu and debian? Rooks same to me and terminal works with same commands and same packages
>>
>>53982604
Go back to
>>>> /v/
>>
>>53978214
Werks for me! I'll send you the fix via PM.
Thread is now closed.
>>
Debian was the first distro I ever installed and so far I've gotten around every issue by simply googling it rather than asking /g/.
>>
>>53981025
Heh recently tried installing Java and can relate
>>
>>53978214
You should have installed xfce or lxde you cunt
>>
>>53979147
>Dell XPS 13
I literally laughed. But hey, maybe it WorksForYou™
>>
>>53984017
[adnan@primaryhost ~]$ pacman -Ss jdk
extra/jdk7-openjdk 7.u99_2.6.5-1
OpenJDK Java 7 development kit
extra/jdk8-openjdk 8.u77-1
OpenJDK Java 8 development kit
extra/jre7-openjdk 7.u99_2.6.5-1
OpenJDK Java 7 full runtime environment
extra/jre7-openjdk-headless 7.u99_2.6.5-1
OpenJDK Java 7 headless runtime environment
extra/jre8-openjdk 8.u77-1
OpenJDK Java 8 full runtime environment
extra/jre8-openjdk-headless 8.u77-1
OpenJDK Java 8 headless runtime environment
extra/openjdk7-doc 7.u99_2.6.5-1
OpenJDK Java 7 documentation
extra/openjdk7-src 7.u99_2.6.5-1
OpenJDK Java 7 sources
extra/openjdk8-doc 8.u77-1
OpenJDK Java 8 documentation
extra/openjdk8-src 8.u77-1
OpenJDK Java 8 sources
extra/visualvm 1.3.8-1
Visual tool integrating several commandline JDK tools and lightweight
profiling capabilities
[adnan@primaryhost ~]$ sudo pacman -S openjdk8-src
[sudo] password for adnan:
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) openjdk8-src-8.u77-1

Total Download Size: 20.99 MiB
Total Installed Size: 22.79 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
>>
>>53978214
>Familiar with Debian
>Took several hours to get wireless working
Moron or troll? You decide!
>>
> its the one I'm most familiar with
> 2014 version, apparently Wheezy
Pls upgrade.
>Takes several hours to get the wireless card working
You are not familiar with it. Install Ubuntu.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.