[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people get a Mac and then install Linux on it? What can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: mbp_ubu.jpg (110 KB, 800x478) Image search: [Google]
mbp_ubu.jpg
110 KB, 800x478
Why do people get a Mac and then install Linux on it?

What can you do in Linux (that's worth doing) that you can't do in OSX?
>>
become a neckbeard.
>>
Who cares dude fuck some people like messing around with their machines and trying new shit.

Also the terminal is much better on Linux
>>
Enjoy the wonders of systemd, ALSA, and unity
>>
>>53945462
>Also the terminal is much better on Linux
Why?
>>
>>53945484
He's an idiot.
>>
>>53945484
Kernel development (even though I know you fags don't use it for this), different set of command line tools, lighter weight, muh botnet, a bunch of shit. I have mine installed in a virtual machine.
>>
Same reason you'd install Linux on anything: because you can.
>>
>>53945596
its gnu/linux
>>
>>53945543
Well you can install gnu on it
>>
>>53945755

It's GNU plus Linux
>>
>>53945851
It's gnu+darwin. Or gnu+OS X? Gnu+Mach?
>>
I think the stupidity is why someone would spend all that money on apple hardware just to install linux on it, if they could just do it on a 200 dollar used thinkpad
>>
>>53945444
>What can you do in Linux (that's worth doing) that you can't do in OSX?
Enjoy my freedom.
>>
>>53945444
Best trackpad, period.

I will refuse to buy another brand of laptop until I find an equal or better trackpad.
>>
>>53945908
what's so good about it?

I use the clit mouse on my T420 w/the left/middle/right click buttons so I don't really see what the fuss about touchpad is all aobut
>>
>>53945444
Because your retarded to think that a persons personal needs can be fully sated by a single operating system.
>>
>>53945915
I use other people's thinkpads often. Feels like my finger is sticking when doing click-drag stuff.

Smoothness, gestures, and trackpad real estate are literally the only reasons I will happily dump $2500 on a MBP with TB3 ports over other lappies

Also, resale value of this MBP helps warrant sticking with Apple
>>
>>53945923
>your retarded to think that a persons...
yes anon, HE is the retard
>>
>>53945543
How is the battery life when running it in a VM?
>>
>>53945944
He indeed is, I'm merely incapable of writing propper English.
>>
>>53945444
I am looking for a laptop that would have metal body instead of plastic, would not have a numpad which makes the keyboard not aligned symmetrically, would have a higher resolution than 1366x768 and would take Linux well as its only OS.

I have been considering Apple as well since it's very hard to find laptops that have all that. I don't really like Apple but my options seem limited.

At no point am I willing to stick to OS X which is just hacks on top of hacks and only looks nice. Linux is way better and it's open. Even the filesystem in OS X corrupts your data and closed system can be infested with NSA as much as they want without no one ever finding out. I'm not even american so NSA would give zero benefit to me, only spying.
>>
File: reimu_beer.jpg (175 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
reimu_beer.jpg
175 KB, 850x850
>>53945444
You can have fun and be free!
>>
File: 1456565824774.jpg (129 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1456565824774.jpg
129 KB, 500x367
>>53945444
I'd simply like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system fashioned into something useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system everyday, without realizing it. Through a peculiar happenstance, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is simply a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53945908
half the trackpad shit doesnt even work on lincucks
>>
Dunno, it's pretty stupid. Because that one magnificent trackpad doesn't really have much of a function on linux. And that's one of the nice features macbooks have. Though not worth buying the whole thing, you could as well just fucking buy a cheap laptop and a magic trackpad.

Maybe it's related to them displays but aside from that, just grab a cheap laptop if you plan to use linux and it should do fine really.
>>
>>53945755
what if i built the kernel with clang, used a different libc and busybox?
no gnu
>>
>>53945936
From what I've heard if you can get used to it, with the trackpad you can do a gorillion functions if you use BetterTouchTool.

I ordered one of those magic trackpad thingies for cheap. It'll arrive next week.
>>
>>53945908
Linux support for MacBook trackpads is awful as fuck, it requires half-assed drivers just to get it half as usable as in OS X. It's even worse in Windows.
Surprisingly, ported trackpad Chromebook drivers make it just as good in crouton. Probably helps that it's Linux-based.
>>
>>53947600
Should clarify that I meant Windows trackpads in Linux, and Chromebook trackpads in Linux
>>
>>53945865
its actually XNU, OSX only uses one GNU utility.... the rest are their own
>>
I've replaced OS X on my 2010 MacBook Air with Windows 10 because:

1- it's faster and has better battery life than El Crapitan
2- I'm learning C# at the moment and I wanted Visual Studio, computer is too slow to use VMs
3- I have a Windows Phone.

Yes, probably if I could go back in time maybe I'd just buy a normal PC but limiting yourself to OS X just because it's a Mac regardless of your particular needs it's pretty stupid. If someone has a Mac and wants to use GNU/Linux or other OS for some reason they should just do it.
>>
>>53945462
But zsh works on both OSes
>>
>>53948287
Linux is not an OS, newfag.
>>
>>53945444

I can't wait to switch to linux so I can have a manageable service list. I'm almost excited about switching.

On windows at work I unwittingly left a program in debug running for several months. There's so much shit running you just don't notice stuff.
>>
I'd rather use OSX to be fair. I still get my proprietary bullshit without headaches and my little silly gestures.
>>
>>53948287
>using zsh
>>
>>53947156
can anybody post the video where he says this?
>>
>>53945444
Use Linux programs and drivers, for a start.
>>
>>53951297
>seriously?
>>
the point of getting a Mac is to basically use osx and use osx's exclusive programs. installing windows/Linux on one is retarded
>>
>>53954811
zsh is disgusting. get a real shell nigger
>>
>>53951968
He didn't actually say that. It's just another made-up /g/-meme, just like "install gentoo"
>>
>>53954884
I agree.
>>
>>53951968
He says it in every video he's in, because every interviewer says "linux" and he has an autistic sperg storm about it for the rest of the video. It's hard to find videos of him NOT sperging out over semantics.
>>
>>53948228
>windows phone

how many rupees does a mba cost?
>>
>>53954884
https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh

I enjoy using this over bash
>>
File: 1459268891884.jpg (266 KB, 1000x1308) Image search: [Google]
1459268891884.jpg
266 KB, 1000x1308
>>53945885
Lightweight, looks good, le Apple meme branding, etc
>>
>>53947600
so are you saying the best trackpads for use in linux are on chromebooks?
i've used a toshiba chromebook and the trackpas was breddy gud
>>
>>53948228
there's no way you're getting better batterylife on win 10
>>
>>53945936
The only problem with mac is click-drag stuff is a pain in the ass to do compared to windows. You have to click and hold down to drag anything, while on windows you only have to tap twice and don't let go on the second tap to start dragging things around. The touchpad might be big on macs but it sure isn't big enough to click-drag stuff around when you also have to hold it down.
>>
>>53947126
XPS 13
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.