[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are you afraid of Windows 10 spying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: windows-10.jpg (310 KB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
windows-10.jpg
310 KB, 2000x1124
Hello fellow GNU/Linux users. I've been using Gentoo Linux since July because I didn't want to be part of Microsoft's botnet of spying. I have made a straw poll to collect the reasons why people are not using Windows 10. In addition to answering the poll's question, state your devices and operating systems below. Please give the details of the reason in your post.

Desktop - Gentoo
Laptop - Gentoo
Netbook - Debian GNU/Hurd
Smartphone - Replicant
Tablet - Replicant
Server - Debian stable

I was pretty outraged by the Snowden revelations and PRISM, so I ditched all my proprietary software and only use stuff that I can audit myself from now on. FSF approval also doesn't hurt.

Here's the poll:

http://strawpoll.me/7311440
>>
>>53929572
Nice try NSA
>>
Nice try microshit
>>
One day, you fapping to scat loli 2D will be used against you.
>>
>>53929572
Poor effort Pajeet,
unfortunately your shamefully executed shit post and inability to fool >53929636 has resulted in an immediate termination of your Bing account.

As of receiving this message, you are no longer employed by Microsoft India Marketing. You are to return your designated bathroom key promptly and are no longer allowed to use any Microsoft/Bing services.

Feel free to reapply in 9 months (as of receiving this message) or make an appeal against this termination at [email protected].

Thank You,
Pajeet Raijesh
Marketing Executive
>>
File: 1459670148001.jpg (181 KB, 1346x1485) Image search: [Google]
1459670148001.jpg
181 KB, 1346x1485
Have they made the UI and settings not complete garbage yet?
It's pretty fucked up how when I tried there was Control Panel, and Settings App for changing shit and some of it was connected and did the same shit, but some other stuff was moved from where I was used to in Control Panel to be used exclusively in the Settings App

I'd upgrade if I could make Windows 10 look exactly like Windows 7 too.
>>
>>53929803
That's illegal in my country.
>>
>>53929822
Things have been moved around, but you can do the same stuff. It's not like you can't configure things anymore. Only 3 months left of free upgrading.
>>
File: 1387230026963.gif (2 MB, 355x185) Image search: [Google]
1387230026963.gif
2 MB, 355x185
>>53929834
>you can do the same stuff
I don't know. Why does it automatically uninstall speccy then? Why do a lot of older programs just plain not work?
>>
>>53929849
>Why does it automatically uninstall speccy then?

This hasn't happened to me yet so idk.

>Why do a lot of older programs just plain not work?

Because they're designed for previous versions of Windows. I had to download a thingy to run Fallout 3 because it was made for XP/Vista.

Run newer programs or tell the devs to update their shit.
>>
File: 1400176560990.jpg (168 KB, 540x936) Image search: [Google]
1400176560990.jpg
168 KB, 540x936
>>53929869
Can I upgrade onto a new HDD so I don't have to lose my Win7 install? Or am I gonna have to clone Win7 to a new HDD then do the update?
>>
Microshit is shit...sometimes
>>
>>53929886
I don't know, but I think the default configuration is to install overtop of your existing Windows installation.

This will be my last reply to you as I don't talk to weeb scum.
>>
File: 1325210580694.jpg (29 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
1325210580694.jpg
29 KB, 474x595
>>53929914
>This will be my last reply to you as I don't talk to weeb scum.
kay
>>
>>53929572

Gentoo uses SystemD, so does Debian.

You are part of the botnet.

Use Slackware.
>>
> making a straw poll on a proprietary service
They may sell our data to FBI, you know. I'm not going to answer that.
>>
>>53929886
You should be able to if you make a thumbddive or something with the installer, and use the license key for your windows 7 installtion.
Although I recomend not updating
>>
>>53929572
Reminder: Gentoo is bullshit distro, building gtk+ takes forever since the maintainer died 4 years ago and no one has stepped up and removed the depreciated dependency.

Go with funtoo, sabayon or calculate linux.
>>
>>53929824
blackmail or 2d loli or scat?
>>
I don't give a fuck about the so-called spying or bullshit.

I simply don't fucking like Windows 10 because change for the sake of change is a terrible thing.

Windows 7 works just fine and is more than capable of doing anything that anyone needs done.
>>
Telemetry has a very specific purpose and does not collect the large majority of the information from the EULA. It also helps to put the EULA into perspective. It's not a technical analysis or blueprint, it's a legal document written (only for lawyers) that must cover absolutely everything Microsoft does across the entire machine even if it does not get transmitted back to the company.

>favorite cities, the teams you follow, the stocks you track
The Weather, Map, MSN Sports and MSN Money apps included in Windows 10.
If you want the weather, map, sports or money apps to show you anything relevant, it needs to 'collect' and 'store' the favorites cities, team information and stocks that you have added and it's the same if you want the Maps app to show you your home address or other favorites, it needs to 'collect' and 'store' the addresses.

>your contacts and relationships
The People app included in Windows 10.
If you want the app to show you your contacts then it's required to 'collect' and 'store' store your contacts when you add them. You can also add birthdays and other data for the Calendar app to show you reminders.
>>
Desktop - Gentoo
Laptop 1 - Slackware
Laptop 2 - Gentoo
Laptop 3 - Debian
>>
>"[Y]our first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, … passwords, password hints, and similar security information, … your age, gender, country and preferred language, … your location,
You provide this information when registering a Microsoft, Live or Skype account and purchasing things such as skype credit or items from the Windows Store: https://account.microsoft.com This information is also required for account recovery (You will be asked all of the above information when you try recover your account after the password and secret questions have been changed) and purchasing anything online (All of this this information is required by credit card companies to verify the order).

>credit card number and the security code
When you purchase Skype credit or items from the Windows Store: https://account.microsoft.com/billing/payments

>items you purchase
Account billing history: https://commerce.microsoft.com/PaymentHub/Transaction
The ability to view your Billing history is very important, so Microsoft needs to 'collect' and 'store' items you purchase and every company does this for both legal and security reasons.

>the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter
The Edge and Cortana apps included in Windows 10.
Firefox, Chrome, Google search and every individual website has been 'collecting' and 'storing' the pages you visit and your search terms for over a decade. I can log into Google analytics and view region, device, gender, age, pages visited, time spent on those pages and a LOT more information about you and others than what is currently being collected by Edge (I can also target specific data using Google Adwords).

>IP address, device identifiers
Every website records IP address and device identifiers.
This has been recorded by every website and online service for over 20 years and is very important for online security.
>>
>your documents, photos, music or video you upload
The Onedrive app included in Windows 10.
This information is 'collected' when you upload stuff to Onedrive, then 'stored' in order to show all your data on Onedrive from Explorer or via the website and would be kinda pointless and useless if it didn't.

>subject line and body of email
The Mail app included in Windows 10.
This information is 'collected' during sync and 'stored' to show your emails when reading your email and opening the app.

>text or other content of an instant message, audio and video recording of a video message."
Skype.

Web browsers 'collect' and 'store' your favorites, Hotmail and Gmail 'collect' and 'store' the entire content of your email. Just typing into the forum post reply box is considered 'collection' and 'storage' (by Tenforums.com) since the text and images you're about to post on the forum are 'collected' when you type, then 'stored' inside a memory buffer, before being transmitted and 'collected' by a socket and 'stored' inside database files on the server.

Companies have been sued over not declaring information is 'collected' and 'stored' due to the fact that machines must 'collect' information during an action and 'store' the information in a memory buffer for processing and in a file for logging (For Example; During an online purchase your credit card information is 'collected' then 'stored' inside a memory buffer for the duration of a transaction)... The EULA is a legal document written for lawyers who will sue over things like that. It's stupid but that's why EULAs have to state that you are 'collecting' and 'storing' things even if they are never transmitted back to the company (e.g. Microsoft) and only ever done on the local machine.

There are also zero industry security experts backing up the claims of Windows 10 'spying'... I think that's very damning evidence in itself.
>>
File: towers.jpg (75 KB, 468x683) Image search: [Google]
towers.jpg
75 KB, 468x683
>>53930753
>>53930760

Yo my nigga Mohammed Northtower Pajeeb Something9/11'y

How're those box cutters going?
>>
File: laughing.png (353 KB, 613x495) Image search: [Google]
laughing.png
353 KB, 613x495
>>53930801
>>
>>53929572
Myerson pointed to the fact that “over 80% of people use the same password across multiple web sites, managing around 20-30 different accounts requiring passwords.”

and they know this, how i wonder?
>>
File: fellowkids.gif (1 MB, 500x225) Image search: [Google]
fellowkids.gif
1 MB, 500x225
>>53929572
>Hello fellow GNU/Linux users.
>>
“People are spending more time on Windows than ever before – over 75 billion hours – with the highest customer satisfaction of any version of Windows…. We are on track to reach our ambitious goal of one billion Windows 10 devices in the next few years. We welcome everyone to Windows 10, whether you have a new PC, a five-year-old PC, or a brand new Mac – we are building the most secure, productive, and fun platform for you.”

nsa playground right there.

>Highest costumer satisfaction of any version of windows
>we are on track
>we welcome everyone
>brand new mac
>most secure

insert Laibach qoute here-
>>
Why should I use Windows 10 over Windows 8.1?

Long term support for 8.1 is good until 2023
>>
Hey fellows /g/aggers

I need a hand here. I just intall a fresh win10 on my new build but i dont have a key to activate.

I try mtk but it doesnt stay activated. I boot the machine and it is. But later on come back to not activated state.

I was thinking on use a wm whit win7. Activate that whit daz or something and make the "free" update to gain a key.

Its that possible?
>>
>>53931863
install GNU/Linux = no activation
>>
>>53931905

I have xububtu on my everyday laptop but i need windows to play shit
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.