[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for "guiding" my professional development please.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: CPxTeGsWIAAoL6S.jpg large.jpg (58 KB, 520x690) Image search: [Google]
CPxTeGsWIAAoL6S.jpg large.jpg
58 KB, 520x690
Advice for "guiding" my professional development please.

I finished college last year and started looking for a job, there's this fucking asshole that I worked for in an internship that has been talking shit about me when asked for references. I don't want to get into that but let's just say that even though I made mistakes, if he needs to make up lies to make me look worse, then it wasn't actually that bad. This made my job hunt harder.

I ended up taking a frontend dev gig at a hipster startup. I like everything about this job, the company, the workplace, what we're making... except obviously my role. I joined Computer Science in the first place because I loved algorithms, through college I fell in love with it due to stuff like processor architecture, operating systems, machine learning and algorithms&data structures. And now I'm doing fucking HTML+CSS with a horrible codebase that used to be outsourced to poo2loos.

This is like literally the only aspect of software engineering I dont like. I took the job because I needed money badly, and because as I said some aspects of it are good. And I'm going to keep at it for at least a year obviously for stability (being able to take the asshole I mentioned out of my resume and still have +1yr of experience, and saving some money), and after that what? I don't want my next job after this to be frontend, that's for sure. I have no idea how to avoid getting stuck in this ie not getting hired for anything else. I also can't afford to study a masters in order to get into the really interesting shit.

Oh and by the way I don't live in the US. Not in a poor country either luckily, im in western (mainland) europe, but the usa is where this industry is actually interesting so thats one more inconvenient for me. You may say going to the usa is a possibility but there's a bazillion of pajeets trying to do the same and i'd be on the same level as them.
>>
>>53921122
I'm not exactly experienced when it comes down to professional advice, but you could probably start learning things yourself with courses and books in preparation for your next job. After you feel comfortable enough, you could start searching for your next gig, something backend related or completely different than web dev even and you'd still have X experience in what you're already doing as a safety pillow in case something goes bad. I get that part of not exactly liking what you're doing, but kinda have to do it, but the reality is most jobs are web related (I'm from Europe too, not Western though) and at least it's nice to have a well paying (I suppose yours is) job even if it becomes tedious from time to time.
>>
I'm in a similar situation grinding through a job where I am overqualified. My previous boss was a fucking imbecile and blamed everyone else for his mistakes. All you can do is leave a good impression on your current employer and be there long enough so people know you can commit. If you need to, go outside of your job description to let your employer know you are capable of much more. Be a good goy and make them need you.
>>
>>53921122
I haven't gotten the impression that pigeonholing is a big issue in software development. It should be fine.
>>
>>53921122
>software engineering
programming
>>
>>53921957

alright bro who cares. what im doing right now is not engineering thats for sure, the most interesting thing i did today was a javascript workaround for an angularjs bug
>>
>>53921266
>>53921397
nice tips bros
>>
>>53921122
Consider the UK. There's similar opportunities there for softeng/compsci as there are in the USA, and as a western European it shouldn't be a problem for you to relocate.

My main recommendation is to build up a big GitHub portfolio of stuff you have or are working on, make a LinkedIn and connect with previous colleagues, alumni etc. and start job hunting. You will find something I promise you.

Also consider looking into PhDs if you're genuinely interested in compsci. Many (in the UK at least) have grants and don't require MScs.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.