[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To what extent is google image result order entirely cooked by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
To what extent is google image result order entirely cooked by google?

We've known google cooks its erotic results in English and many other languages for a long time, but never with Japanese.

Now it seems they also cook politically sensitive results.

Case in point: this google search for "Islam" vs. "イスラム" ("Islam" in Japanese)

And aside from just learning Japanese, are there any truly impartial (i.e. image order/selection based on an algorithm) image search?
>>
Duck duck go is typically the go to search engine on /g/ (or at least it was), but they just get a result from Google which isn't effected by your search history. It's essentially the same as incognito mode except without Google having a computer to match the searches to.
>>
Not to say that google doesn't interfere with the data, they do

But Islam and イスラム are NOT the same search term despite having the same meaning, and it's totally unsurprising that they reveal different results
>>
>>53916009
duckduckgo is closed source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo) , use searx
https://searx.me
or host your own instance
>>
It's not that surprising and not necessarily indicating doctored results. Japanese usual give zero fuck about Islam and the only time they hear about it is in the context of the beheading of their citizens.
>>
>>53915785
Fucking normies

Those two terms are two completely different search terms. Google just arranges shit based on terms on the most relevant webpages, islam in japanese and islam in english give different pages that are most relevant.
>>
>>53916154
Also google is generally shit for anything but english so you will usually get random results from social media sites
>>
Isn't Islam almost banned in Japan?
I heard even political figures require special permits and stuff.
>>
>>53916032
I'm not contending it should be the same result, I'm just questioning the possibility that a neutral click-based algorithm without human fiddling could produce such discrepency between the English and the Japanese result of a word with ostensibly the same semantic content.

Also, if you provide the formal form of "Islam" in Japanese instead, with a kanji suffix meaning faith/piety, you get cooked results very similar to the English ones.

イスラム教

Maybe they'll get around to cooking the much more popular イスラム search term eventually as well?

If DDG is just google images it sort of defeats the purpose.

Any actual impartial image results?
>>
>>53916183
How can you be so sure that the results are cooked?

It seems completely reasonable that websites using the formal version of the word contain more respectful content than the less formal spelling.
>>
>>53916202
イスラム = 18 million results

イスラム教 = 398 thousand results

You could be right, a relative handful use the "formal" spelling. Maybe those results aren't cooked.

And I can't prove that the google image results for "Islam" aren't decided by an impartial algorithm, and the Japanese ones for the same word. I'm just really doubtful.

So... impartial search engine? (Since google openly admits that it cooks results for various reasons)
>>
>>53916181
There are quite a few Muslim societies, and most major stations and office buildings have Muslim prayer spaces in Tokyo.

Japanese are suspicious of Western religion in general, Islam isn't singled out as particularly sinister.

Most Japanese still like to get married in a Christian church though, even without being Christian.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-07-12-12-56.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-07-12-12-56.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
I don't know if they really cook the results that much to be pc. I just searched "three black teenagers" and this came up. If there was really some pc conspiracy wouldn't they filter it?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.