[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the comfiest GNU/Linux distro and why it is Debian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
File: debian_splash2.png (25 KB, 331x350) Image search: [Google]
debian_splash2.png
25 KB, 331x350
What's the comfiest GNU/Linux distro and why it is Debian stable?

>it just works
>maximum stability
>updates don't break your system, programs you love don't get new bugs because of >muh updates. Predictability that lets you focus on your work.
>most used Linux distro on servers, so what you learn on your desktop is applicable on servers
>community-based instead of corporate-based like Red Hat/Fedora and Ubuntu and follows an open development model
>>
It's great

Anyone who says it's too stable has never used sid

Not that versions really matter beyond compilers and interpreters.
>>
>>53915623
Why did stallman stop using it again?
>>
>>53915723
Because it started including nonfree software in its repositories

ie chrome, steam, etc.
>>
>>53915623
>why is it the best
because
>named after a grill
>dev commits sudoku
>>
>>53915755
you can uninstall them though?

Why dont they just make it optional?
>>
>>53915786
You forgot the part where she dumps him after he made a whole distro for her
>>
>>53915794
They are optional
Stallman doesn't care
>>
arch is pretty comfy after you install it and set everything up the way you like, you can just use any kind of installer to get the job done. The aur is the biggest selling point to me.
>>
>>53915794
They're not even available by default. You have actively choose to use them and add the repositories yourself.

It's just RMS being RMS.
>>
>>53915805
Pretty sure they include binary blobs in the kernel like almost every other distro. Which is the reason why it's not fsf approved like like almost any other distro.
>>
>>53915831
>It's just RMS being RMS.
But it's never without reason. You can say what you want about him, but he is passionate about his ideology
>>
>>53915849
passionate about stealing cred from Linux?
>>
>Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the official Debian system. However, Debian also provides a repository of nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the project's main servers, and people can readily find these nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database and its wiki.
>There is also a “contrib” repository; its packages are free, but some of them exist to load separately distributed proprietary programs. This too is not thoroughly separated from the main Debian distribution.
>Previous releases of Debian included nonfree blobs with Linux, the kernel. With the release of Debian 6.0 (“squeeze”) in February 2011, these blobs have been moved out of the main distribution to separate packages in the nonfree repository. However, the problem partly remains: the installer in some cases recommends these nonfree firmware files for the peripherals on the machine.

Sounds pretty nitpicky, especially the firmware part. So what if Debian recommends nonfree firmware? Either Linux works on your machine or it doesn't. I completely get why people like free software but asking people to gimp or make their expensive hardware useless is unreasonable.
>>
>>53915849
So was Stalin.
So was Hitler.
>>
>>53915838
They've not included non-free blobs for years outside of the non-free repos for years now.
>>
File: myprolapseisleaking.png (68 KB, 517x733) Image search: [Google]
myprolapseisleaking.png
68 KB, 517x733
>>53915891
Hitler did nothing wrong
>>
>>53915723
>Caring what an insane egomaniac who eats his own foot scabs thinks about anything, ever.
Don't do it.
>>
>>53915889
>to gimp or make their expensive hardware useless is unreasonable.
Pretty sure the point of it is to inform yourself before buying hardware so you can make a good choice
>>
>>53915926
I have done your mother.
>>
Unlike GnEwsEnsE, it runs on Linux (which includes binary blobs). Their servers also host ISOs with non-free repos and pages explaining how to get them...
>>
>>53915826
This
>>
>using debian stable as a workstation/desktop
Seriously, you're retarded.
>>
>>53916026
>M-m-muh bleeding edge!
no u
>>
>>53915920
>Hitler did nothing wrong
He lost
>>
>>53916044
There's a big difference between bleeding edge and repos that have been updated in the past 50 years.
>>
Linux mint is better in every way
>>
File: 1434035333612.jpg (38 KB, 312x446) Image search: [Google]
1434035333612.jpg
38 KB, 312x446
>>it just works
Nice meme.

>download debian
>start debian on my laptop
>can't get wifi
>have to do an awful lot of googling
>try out all the commands I can find
>in the end I find out debian doesn't have the driver for my wifi card
>because even though the driver is freely available, it's not the kind of completely open "free", so debian refuses to support it
>implying I'm gonna search for the driver myself and install it manually
>fuck this sht
>install linux mint instead
>everything works
I want a fucking os I can work with. I don't want to deal with petty hardware bullshit.
>>
>>53915623
>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer
>>
>>53915623
I agree OP. Debian Stable is the best.
Using it on both my desktop and laptop.
>>
>>53916112
Fedora is a good inbetween, your hardware will work because it includes the drivers, but it does not include nonfree software other than those blobs in the kernel. So you can be free without jumping through hoops to get your hardware working. Stallman would approve of Fedora without those blobs, that is how free it is.
>>
>>53915926
Idk, he did make open source a mainstream thing and is imo the last original hacker.

Are any of the fsf approved distros actually good? They all have pretty bad looks logos and guis.
>>
>>53916112
>too stupid to know that Debian offers a ISO with non-free firmware included
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
>>53916169
They're mostly identical to what they're based on, minus all non-free software. Might as well just use the originals and not install nonfree software if it bugs you. They're kind of fascist about non-free software. I think that having the option for nonfree is MORE free for the user.
>>
>>53915938
This. People always cry about how their mouse/keyboard/etc doesnt have drivers but they never check if hardware is linux compatible or officially supported first
>>
>>53916213
Doesn't work when you reboot, though. The idiots didn't make it actually install them. It's only good for during installation.
>>
>>53915623
Stable + backports is noice, but I prefer Testing
>>
>>53916026
>using alpha/beta software as a workstation/desktop
Seriously, you're retarded.
>>
>>53916229
Strange, because it just werks for me, including after install.
>>
>>53916112
>buying hardware for Microsoft™ Windows® and expecting it to be fully supported by free distro
git bedder
also debian has a non-free firmware iso.
>>
>>53915623
>until it doesn't
>maximum is sometimes not enough
>until they do
>no contest
>community shakes between being commie shills and providing useful software developed elsewhere

still, it's the least worst so far, and even less worse than winblows for my needs
>>
>>53916259
Not him, but its very hard to get a hold of a usb wireless dongle that doesn't require nonfree firmware.
>>
>>53916307
not really in my experience. any asus/tplink shit dongle i had (or had contact with) worked ootb. also my acer laptop does (but the hardware is fucked on both windows/linux so i needed a dongle) and i didnt even check for linux compatibility. And i live in a poor region of Poland.
>>
>>53915723
Things like debian and openbsd are completely free software but they make it easy and accessible to install proprietary software. stallman said he would only be able to recommend such operating systems or distros to friends he trust will not install non-free programs but he can not publically endorse anything that non-free software in it's repositories
>>
>>53915794
they do. normal debian comes without non free software. but you can choose which ISO

stallman is just an oddball who hates other peoples freedoms
>>
>>53916026
cat /etc/apt/sources.list | sed s/jessie/stretch > /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>>53915623
>apt
>ancient packages
>no user repository
>comfiest
"no"

>>53917297
>cat /etc/apt/sources.list | sed s/jessie/stretch > /etc/apt/sources.list
average debian user
>>
>>53915709
What about Stretch?
>>
>>53916169
They're full of outdated software. I remember having trouble to watch a YouTube video with GNewSense a long time ago. I'll install it again to see what is going on.
>>
>>53917554
>ancient packages
But that's a good thing.
>>
>>53916234
Same here, it's been five years since I'm on testing and I'm loving it.
>>
>>53917772
Not always
Old packages tend to have more security issues these days thanks to shit like the recent security issues with different libs
>>
>>53918472
But Debian backports security fixes into stable.
>>
File: gnewsense-youtube.png (119 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gnewsense-youtube.png
119 KB, 1024x768
>>53917642
Yep... Still can't see YouTube videos in it.
>>
>>53916101
>Linux mint is better in every way
You can literally shit out a better distro than Mint
>>
File: 1459718886223.png (801 KB, 940x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459718886223.png
801 KB, 940x1200
Debian Stretch will be a good distro mostly because it will have a decent and modern kernel that can do btrfs properly and will have a nice up-to-date set of packages for most things

Jessie is shit and old like your mum
>>
Tried installing it today. Couldn't get the fucker to install on my X220 because of the wifi.
I know it needs non-free firmware, but it wouldn't let me install them.
It's ashame, I was looking forward to Debian.
>>
>>53919556
literally in the thread you fucking retard

not even gonna link it because cunts like you need to stop being spoonfed, only then will you take your fingers out of your cunts and use them to type words into a search engine
>>
>guys i tried it, but muh wi-fi

even after reading a billion debian threads, people always complain about the same
>>
>>53918819
http://mozilla.debian.net/

Try Firefox and report back to me.
>>
>>53920259
Sure it'll work. But I'm talking about software shipped with GNewSense.
>>
>>53920363
You freetards intentionally cripple yourselves, then complain about being crippled. Amazing bunch.
>>
Using Ubuntu server and just installing what I want works better for me. More convenient.
>>
>systemd
>>
>>53917554
>having the same file open twice
nice empty file as a result
>unnecessary calls to cat
>not using sed -i
average ubongo wimp
>>
>>53916065
Debian stable is released every 1-2 (rarely 3) years, that's not that old at all. Don't know what you're complaining about.
>>
>>53915623
>updates don't break your system, programs don't get new bugs because of updates

This has never happened to me on Fedora which I used for 6 months, and Arch which I used for a year. Is that just a meme or has the legitimately happened to someone on here?
>>
File: VMs.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
VMs.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>53920424
>You freetards
Are you crazy kiddo? It's just a VM.
>>
>>53919556
You literally just need to place one file in `/lib/firmware` for your device.

>I know it needs non-free firmware, but it wouldn't let me install them.
Just put the blob on the USB you're using to install it to begin with and it should work just fine. If not you can open a shell when it comes to that step and manually copy it over or just finish the installation, mount the USB and copy the file afterwards.

Anyone and everyone that complains about the wireless not working is either stupid or too lazy to properly research how to fix their issue since it's massively easier now than it ever has been in the past.
>>
>>53916169
>open source
>stallman

he would have an autist fit if you said that term in front of him
anyway, trisquel is not bad, basically ubuntu without non-free packages
>>
>>53920584
it's even easier than that. the wifitards literally only need to use the firmware cd. that fucking easy.
>>
I'm using ceres (sid) and sha1 got deprecated and now I can't access repos with old key(weak digest). wat do? anyone else had this problem?
>>
>>53916026
>>53916238
>claiming to know better than each other what each other needs/wants/deems acceptable for his workstation/desktop
You both retardests, my niggas
>>
Debian stable is about as fun as catching HIV whilst living in a 3rd world country that can't medicate you properly.
>>
>>53920893
What is good? Arch? Fuck off!
>>
>>53915849
Stallman is completely bonkers.
Sure he is fighting for a good thing, but he is a balls to the walls extremist.
>>
>>53920529
Debian sid has broke a couple of times for me.

Arch has a ton of broken packages in the repos, you haven't noticed? Like, they don't hurt your system but they don't work. Arch is terrible and has no quality control.
>>
>>53920529
If you have used Arch for over a year and never noticed how broken tha packages are you are either lying or have 2 packages installed.
I ran it for a couple of months, literally every update broke something else.
I want to actually use my OS instead of fixing it.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.