[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/uys, I fell for the ultrabook meme, even though they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: seagate_expansion.jpg (234 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
seagate_expansion.jpg
234 KB, 1500x1500
Hey /g/uys,

I fell for the ultrabook meme, even though they're pretty sleek (ASUS UX31A), the 250gb SSD isn't cutting it for me, can you guys recommend me a good external HDD?

I was thinking about getting pic related, link below

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZTRXTPW/ref=twister_B00TS6JL4S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
Seagate are pretty much the last manufacturer to use actual SATA drives in their external HDDs.
>>
>>53905989
No one really uses those thick ugly external hard drives anymore, anon. Just use mega.co.nz
>>
>>53906014

>SATA drives
as opposed to?
>>
>>53906030
Ones that are soldered to the board and can't be replaced in the enclosure once they fail.

https://youtu.be/2GGTQF6oE3E?t=342

See above. Directly to USB 3.0 . If drive fails, you're pretty cucked.
>>
Is the storage in the UX31A non-replaceable? In the UX32VD it's just a normal 2.5"
>>
>>53906060

sorry for the confusion, but I'm not getting at what your point is.

going back to your first post, you mention that seagate is one of that last manufacturers that uses SATA drives, now here is where I guess I didn't get your point, this was mentioned to give the notion of a con rather than a pro, right?

the following post you quickly told me that (which?) drives are directly soldered to the board, as in the usb 3.0 interface. I don't get which drive you are referring to, the SATA ones or the ones that are opposed to SATA?

tl;dr SATA drives good or bad? are the drives in the video with usb 3.0 soldered to the drive not SATA? thanks
>>
>>53906227
I posted >>53906060 but I did not post >>53906014

2. I think >>53906014 meant SATA drives as a pro. I mean, I would. That means you can break the external enclosure and do shit to them if the controller board that delivers power to the drive fucks up. You can't do that to the Western Digital in >>53906060

3. My opinion: SATA Disk -> Controller -> Computer = Good
USB 3.0 only Disk -> Computer = Bad
>>
>>53906281
thanks for the clarification about the posts and the help on interpreting the other poster's post.

do you any other hdds to recommend as opposed to the one linked in the original post?
>>
>>53906356
1. Buy a sata3 2.5" SSD of your choice and GB requirement (I like crucial Mx200 series)

2. Buy a sata3 , usb 3 2.5" external enclosure of your choice. (I like vantec devices)

3. clean up your jizz

4. put the ssd inside the external enclosure

5. put to work

6. never ever ever buy a pre-made external hard drive.
>>
Buy a drive and an enclosure. Simple.
>>
>>53906431
>>53906476

you know what? I like you guys, you guys make me motivated to do things like this, might actually treat this as a little project for myself. thanks mangs
>>
>>53906538
Good 5 u anon. Here's some reasonable pros & cons to making it yourself:

Pros:
>you know what components you're buying
>learning new skills
>warranty will be longer on the drive (full 3 years vs 1 year)

Cons:
>initial cost investment
>you might fuck it up if you buy the wrong shit
>>
>>53906563

I'm paranoid enough to triple check if everything is theoretically suppose to fit like clockwork, which includes calling the companies for specifications and asking questions about compatibility; not to worried about fucking it up.

Although it will be a bit more pricier than I imagined going down the SSD route, but I'll see, maybe I'll get the Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 for $149.99, eventually I'll prob swap it into my future desktop, when I eventually get the funds to buy all the parts to build it.
>>
I have it. It's pretty not lit
>>
>>53906621
That's the advantage to doing it yourself too, swap out the part for something else if you want to.

Yeah, extra shill moment for me: I have the 500GB crucial mx200. Love it to bits. Wish I bought a 1TB though. Because I'm autistic.
>>
I brought the Inateck 3.5 Inch & 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 HDD Enclosure and put my Seagate 4TB HDD in it. Works with no problem
>>
>>53905989
I have this. It's pretty great. Get it op. Money well spent for me.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.