[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physical Security
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 413eAUeQPzL._SY400_.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
413eAUeQPzL._SY400_.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
How do you guys make sure your rigs/servers aren't stolen?

Especially asking anons living sketchy areas

Currently looking at server racks, bolting down, or using a really old computer case.

>picrelated
>>
You have proper physical security on the premises. And that doesn't mean you make up some story about how you can't wait to shoot a le nigger who breaks in
>>
>>53901595
A locked door and a security cam won't stop someone from kicking down the door and grabbing a computer
>>
File: 1440467347315.jpg (148 KB, 800x619) Image search: [Google]
1440467347315.jpg
148 KB, 800x619
>>53901553
Where do you live that random scum can bust down your door and take your shit?
>>
stay in the room with them 24/7 and keep a weapon by your side
>>
>>53901553
>Not having a two ton thinkpad
Stay pleb
>>
>>53901553
A rackmount cabinet will have at least some security just by virtue of being really fucking heavy. A thief doesn't want to stand around disassembling things, he wants to grab shit and leave.

For monitors... idk, I guess you could get a mult-monitor stand, I have one and it's pretty heavy, I have to unplug the monitors and take them off to move it.
>>
>>53901672
Somewhere shitty
>>
My office and house are on the same property. During the day when I'm at my office there are enough employees and people around that nobody would try to steal anything, and if they did the front gate (only way in and out) is outside my office window.

During nights and weekends the entire property has a 6' fence around it, plus I have a German Shepard in my house that you wouldn't want to fuck with.
>>
File: 1459314754876.jpg (44 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1459314754876.jpg
44 KB, 633x758
>be robber
>smash down door
>funny odor coming from basement
>investigate
>open basement door

>freeze.

>cheetos covering floor
>dragon dildos shelved by size
>assortment of small anime dolls, covered in cum

>ohshit.png
>run

>don't notice custom water-cooled 4-way sli meme machine

Invest in your petty security normie
>>
>>53901553
by not living in a fucking ghetto, poorfag
>>
>>53902563
Unfortunately a lot of good research universities have shitty surrounding areas.
>>
By putting it in a beige case.
>>
>>53902705
>really good research university
>doesn't have locks on the doors
>doesn't have security staff
>doesn't have video cameras
>>
>>53901553
Electrify everything.
>>
>>53902733
I was referring to my home setup. My home is "in the surrounding area"
>>
>>53902729
Actually considering this
>>
If you live in a shitty area, nobody is smart enough to know what a server is. They'll think it's a fucking water-heater.
>>
I got some pretty good doors and no windows.
>>
>>53901822
>>53902729
These.

>>53902772
Not so fast. Thieves can see that as a clue that you have a lot to protect - unless your home is already too flashy. Also, electric fences almost ever have gaps, and even if it's not the case, thieves in my country use blankets to circumvent them - it's too hot anyway (kek).

>>53902889
They will think, "If it's electronic it's worth a lot for sure - whatever this shit is." They would happily steal RadioShack DIY bullshit assembled by a 12 years-old teen.

>>53902143
I'm glad you have a GS. Just consider picking up another watchdog so you become less vulnerable to couples/gangs who could bait your GS using meat and even things you wouldn't believe and I prefer not to mention here. I knew at least two neighbours in my country whose dogs had been given poisoned meat and whose homes had been invaded 24-48 hours later - a mix of poor law enforcement, cultural disdain for animal welfare and an antigun law that's both hypocritical and unenforced favour such tactic.
>>
>>
>>53904399
>being home 24/7
Hello, NEET
>>
>>53904399
What it be wise to rig this to a door so when it opens?

Would the door be responsible for the death?
>>
>>53906419
>would the door be responsible?
Would the trigger be responsible?
Would the bullet?
Would any innate object in the area be an accomplice to murder?
Yes.
>>
>>53901553
my thinkpad dock has a lock slot, so does my good (from 2009) monitor.

i dont use either because nobody will steal this laptop. left it in a downtown starbucks and sat 2 tables away on my phone. not one chimp even looked at it.
>>
>Starbucks
>ThinkPad
Well obviously no one stole it
>>
Consider constructing a drywall false back into a closet, and putting things away back there.
>>
>>53901672
Los Angeles/San fernando valley
>>
>>53908545
>Jailmate taken to cell with a door menacingly leaning against the wall.

>has no clue to what the door is capable of
>>
>>53901642

It will if the door isn't made out of balsa wood.
>>
>>53902151
this basement is worth alot
>>
>>53901672
Reality. You're never safe, even if you live in a "crime free" area. I had not heard of a robbery in my area for years and one day some guy smashed a neighbor's window and ransacked their house in the 45 minutes that they were out buying groceries. It happens.
>>
File: Claymore2.jpg (17 KB, 450x334) Image search: [Google]
Claymore2.jpg
17 KB, 450x334
>>
>>53911091
but what if enemy is behind
>>
>>53911133
back to back claymores
>>
>>53901553
by having so many of them Tyrone won't know which one is actually worth taking
>>
>>53901553
I have two of those cabinets. They're pretty shobby
>>
>>53901553
In the case of a break-in while I'm not home? Well, I sold my PC. So no worries. In the case of a break-in while I'm at home(usually in my basement man-cave)?

Well, the 12G 5+1 18.5 pistol grip shotgun next to me desk can probably handle that.
>Autist keeps an open gun next to his desk
It's in a neat case out of plain view unless you were looking for it. Not old enough for a handgun and not dumb enough to mount an easy release mount under my desk for a shotgun.
>>
>>53910181
I chuckled
>>
>>53901553

>datacenter
>>
>>53913002
Aww, I has high hopes... what makes you say that?
>>
>>53915066
More worried about when I'm not home
>>
>>53901553
I rent 10 servers from countries against USA
9 of them are just hiding my cyber blueprints, and 10th is my data.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.