[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WhatsApp now offers End-to-End Encryption. What is your opi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: WhatsApp_Logo_1.png (134 KB, 1280x1067) Image search: [Google]
WhatsApp_Logo_1.png
134 KB, 1280x1067
WhatsApp now offers End-to-End Encryption.
What is your opinion on this?
Do you think there's a backdoor?
Why should a Facebook owned company do this?
Are you guys switching from Signal to WhatsApp?

https://www.whatsapp.com/security/
>>
Well, they worked with Open Whisper Systems together.
>>
>>53897502
Closed Source and owned by cuckbook
>>
metadata is still sent in the clear so there's that. however 1 billion people now have encrypted end to end chats is not a bad thing.

if asshole regimes start blocking it then they did something right.
>>
>>53897502
>Why should a Facebook owned company do this?
I wonder why they did this some months after Apple's case :~^/
But as >>53897617 said.They already planned it from start.
>Took so long for something that basement dwellers did years agol
>Most cuckbook software will have backdoors
>PR stunt
>Already uses it.Geiven up on freedubs any way
>>
Never trust an encryption setup that you have not reviewed the code of yourself.
>>
>>53897502
its cosmetic encryption
WA/FB has the keys to bypass the encryption if necessary
>>
>>53899683
How do you know?
>>
>>53899746
Did you see Sauce?
Did you set the keys yourself?
How do you know it does'nt?
>>
>>53899746
its fucking kikebook
of course they have the keys
its fake safety so that the normies can feel safe
>>
>>53899764
So you're just assuming.
It's way too early to make any broad generalizations, I think.
>>
>>53899787
Well they have done it in the past.Its better if we assume stuff based on their behaviour in the past.
>>
>>53899787
>assuming
one of the biggest nsa supporters just decided to encrypt their chat software.
biggest red flag right here
>>
>>53897502
>Why should a Facebook owned company do this?
>what is PR
>>
>>53899840
Honestly curious, done with what? I wasn't aware anything facebook-y ever offered encryption.
>>
>>53897502
>Do you think there's a backdoor?
Are you retarded? Data is encrypted in transit only, not on the device. Facebook still has full access to view the data. This is just PR.
>>
>>53899488
>https://github.com/whispersystems/libsignal-protocol-java/
apparently here there's something
>>
>>53899895
I was saying Fb had used backdoors previously,not they offered encryption.
>>
>trusting facebook
>trusting murican companies

cute
>>
>>53899683
They use the same system that Signal does to achieve it. They have them some funding for it. If you trust Signal's encryption, then WhatsApp works in a similar if not same manner since they worked with Open Whisper for this.
>>
https://github.com/whispersystems/libsignal-protocol-java/

IS THIS THE ENCRYPTION CODE?
>>
>>53897502
Aside from the botnet maymay, Whattsapp is pretty based on hueland, the government asked them some data and they simply refused, shit caused a shitstorm.
>>
>>53897502
>Do you think there's a backdoor?
yes

>>53897730
/thread
>>
>>53899787
not that guy but it's a fair assumption to make. It's owned by facebook ffs.

they have no reason whatsoever to care about your privacy.
>>
>>53900359
i trust the system but i don't trust kikebook
>>
>>53897502
Would this be better to use than FB messenger? Obviously neither are secure.
>>
>>53901028
its less intrusive and uses less resources
>>
>>53897502
I use telegram because its opensource.

Freetards hate it because the server uses some proprietary code but that shouldn't matter since the messages are encrypted before they ever touch the server anyway.

Also Telegram allows you to easily change your phone number and has usernames so you don't have to give out your number just to talk to people.
>>
>>53899914
That's not e2e. Educate yourself
>>
>>53899488
Reviewed and passed. They even used Trevor Perrin's Noise protocol framework to replace their old shitty link layer, on most platforms.

>>53899844
When I last spoke to them, Facebook's security team did not like the NSA very much at all - to the point of encrypting their servers' memory as a "fuck you". WhatsApp is run as a separate subsidiary.

>>53899914
All messages, including voice-call setup messages, are forward-secure encrypted, verifiably, end-to-end with the Signal protocol (formerly the Axolotl ratchet) - please see http://ia.cr/2014/904 for a full (updated with final protocol yesterday) analysis.

All transport encryption on the platforms I've analysed (iPhone, Android) uses trevp's noisepipes using AES-GCM-256/SHA256. It hasn't been published yet, but I've got proofs in the ROM for Noise when the rules are followed. http://noiseprotocol.org/

>>53900361
Yes. They need proper reproducible builds really, but that is indeed the library they are actually using, and they appear to be calling it properly.

I would definitely prefer it if the whole thing were open-source, but it does the job for now for like a billion people.

>>53901028
Yes.

>>53901524
Telegram's crypto is shit, when it bothers to use any crypto at all. Don't use it. You'd be better off with Signal, or even Nadim's new rewritten cryptocat (which also uses axolotl).
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.