[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ Batteries are technology! Im planning on moving to live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: P1020330[1].jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P1020330[1].jpg
94 KB, 800x600
Hi /g/

Batteries are technology!

Im planning on moving to live narrow boat in a year or so and i have questions about power.
How do i work out how much power my devices require?
How do i work out what i can generate?
How do i work out what i can store?
Power will be generated by a combination of the roof being almost fully covered in solar and a hybrid diesel//electric generator/motor.
Is there a limit to how batteries can be connected in serial or parallel? whats the difference between serial and parallel? (I understand the definition of the words just not how they relate to batteries, what are the pros and cons?)
And what are Ohms, Volts, amps and watts?

Any advice would be much appreciated or if you can point me to a good online resource that would be great, a lot of what ive seen seems disjointed or outdated.
>>
All I can say from experience being on a boat for an extended amount of time is you're gonna become insanely claustrophobic I couldn't stand not being able to get off. As for the power I don't know, best of luck.
What kind of boat and where are you gonna be living? Definitely need a mobile hotspot at the least for your Internet and TV needs
>>
>>53896773
I remember you.

>what is electricity
Dam son you sure you want to DIY this?
Very interested in any knowledge collected in this thread for my future bug-out trailer though...
>>
>>53896773
>>>/diy/
it is tech but go there
>>
>>53896799
something like pic related though im having one built new and plan on kitting it out to a fairly high standard. Internet shouldnt be a problem, will be on the British inland waterway system and we have pretty reasonable 3g and 4g coverage over a lot of it. Ill be moving around a fair bit. TV not an issue, havent owned one for over 6 years now but i would like to be able to game for an hour or two on an evening along with running a fridge, lighting etc without killing my batteries. Also i currently have a dynamo on my bike and my tablet and phone are both charged entirely from my ride to work.
>>
>>53896854
Im not planning to DIY it I just want to go to the professionals armed with alittle bit of knowledge, I want to know how many batteries i need and what rating etc before i let somebody else decide for me.
>>53896865

Thanks i never thought of that, never really venture too far from /g/
>>
File: DSCF2248%20cropped[1].jpg (804 KB, 2848x976) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2248%20cropped[1].jpg
804 KB, 2848x976
>>53896877
forgot pic
>>
>>53896910
The only conclusion I can draw from that picture is that you intend to do some raiding
>>
>>53896928
i was thinking more marauding to be honest but i guess the difference is academic.
>>
>>53896877
I don't think your going to be able to run a fridge, those fuckers take up a lot of power. You should be able to charge electronic devices and run a small TV just fine though so you could have a nice laptop and stuff for watching TV/Movies.
>>
>>53896773
Batteries are DC so you will need a nice inverter to convert the power into AC. You are probably going to want a bank of batteries in parallel at a voltage your inverter will take, most likely 12-24 volts, higher volts is better if possible. Find out how the total amps your devices require and make sure your batteries can supply enough amps at the correct voltage for your inverter for however long you want to be able to run the devices for off the batteries. You're going to probably want more than you think your going to need since as batteries age thier max charge capacity drops.
>>
>>53896910
very nice
>>
>>53898447

You don't need a fridge, the water should be cold. Just tie a bag to a rope and you're done.

BTW I am definitely not a shark
>>
Propane fridge, propane stove, propane heat, and no microwave. Everything else will be good on battery solar. Well as long as you go to a laundry mat.
>>
>>53898613
Also look at car audio batteries. They tend to have the high amperage you are going to need for a nice inverter. I stress getting a quality inverter because shitty inverters can ruin a lot of devices due to the fact they are basically emulating the sine waves in AC current.
>>
>>53896773

>How do i work out how much power my devices require?

Power = voltage * current
Thats watts, if you want watts hour just multiply

>How do i work out what i can generate?

Depends on what do you want to use as a generator

>Is there a limit to how batteries can be connected in serial or parallel? whats the difference between serial and parallel? (I understand the definition of the words just not how they relate to batteries, what are the pros and cons?

Parallel: amperage of each battery sums, so they can last longer
Serial: voltage of each battery sums, so they can power up more devices
>And what are Ohms, Volts, amps and watts?
Volts are like the energy required to power up something (not really)
Amps is the current the devices demand to work, if the amps that a device require ask for more that the source can give, voltage will drop.
>>
>>53896773

A fission reactor should be OK, just make sure to use well insulated wires with plenty of length so the rods go at least 50 feet depth under boat. Don't want to disturb the neighbors know what I mean?

As for fuel, just get a good centrifuge so you can refine pretty much any shitty street uranium.
>>
>>53898731
>shitty inverters can ruin a lot of devices due to the fact they are basically emulating the sine waves in AC current.
What's bad about that? Sounds to me like it's exactly what such an inverter is supposed to do.
>>
>>53900529
Shitty ones use a square wave approximation or have failure modes that involve the output sticking to a rail and destroying things.
>>
>>53896910
Nice boat.
>>
>>53898986
So volts is the 'strength' of the power and amps is the speed its travelling?
>>53900914
not mine, just an example.

Is over charging an issue?
What happens to a battery at max capacity if theres still charge going into it?
>>
> not generating power from saline batteries
>>
I just realized:

>solar power
>britain

enjoy your shit micromol/(m^2 s) m8

you should really consider acquiring a small turbine for the top of your boat too as backup/load balancing for all those cloudy days I'm sure you'll get. that adds a lot of complexity though, especially when wind speeds get *too* high...

you're my hero for living like this btw, I don't mean to discourage.
>>
>>53896773
What i would say is just don't save cash on the dc-ac comverter get a good clean sinus one or you'll barely start a fridge... next thing is you asked about parallel and serial connections for batteries, think of it like this batteries operate on voltages between 12-16V 12 being when they're almost out of juice and 16 when they've had a bit too much, depending on what voltage your dc-ac converter runs at you should connect them differently, serial if you wanna double the volts and parallel for multiple storage. Tl,dr if you have 4 batteries and your converter is a 24-30 volts converter that makes 230v sinus or 110v sinus depending on wether you're european or american, you wanna get 2 batteries serial and another 2 batteries in a different serial and then connect them paralllel to the converter.
>>53901447
Amps aren't really the speed it's the amount of electrons that are running through the wire amps are what causes heat and what requires thick wires.
About overcharging, you'll most probably be using a charger that communicates with the converter bats and panels and makes sure your bats are having a good time so no worries
>>
>>53898634
Kek out of fucking no where
>>
>>53901447
Volts is velocity and current is torque if you want to express it in mechanical terms.

Connect batteries in parallel to keep the voltage the same but the capacity higher. Put them in series if you need more voltage(but not more capacity). Just figure out the voltage you need and just multiply that arrangement in parallel.

THEY NEED TO BE THE SAME TYPE OF BATTERIES WITH THE SAME VOLTAGES/CHARGE-CYCLES.

I would try to get devices that run directly on DC power to be efficient with your power usage. High voltage AC is used for long distances and in the conversion between them you lose power. But this is more of a luxury thing to get more energy out of your batteries.

The thing that makes things hot with current is relative resistance. If the wires are 0.001 ohm and the load is 0.999 ohm, only 0.1% of the power will be lost in the wiring. If your wires are 1 ohm and the load is 1 ohm, the power will be 50/50 distributed across the load/device and the wire. You want low resistance in your wiring(proper soldering, no shitty materials etc) so the voltage drop over them is low and won't burn your boat down in the middle of the night.

Also get a proper system for using solar/air for charging batteries. Judging by your questions you don't know jack shit. So don't cheap out on it(they're expensive)

Power = voltage x current (AC has a variation with power factor but just assume you can deliver 2x as much as you need at any given time)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.