[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What shit tools do u have to use in school/university? Netbeans,Oracle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: school-.-.png (248 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
school-.-.png
248 KB, 1680x1050
What shit tools do u have to use in school/university?
Netbeans,Oracle SQL Dev here
>>
Netbeans, Sublime Text, mySQL, Firefox for web stuff
>>
Virtualbox. Fuck that piece of shit. Also Matlab.
>>
>>53894131
CS major here
In my school they teach programming using BlueJ (for learning purpose). Then you pass on to eclipse or netbeans (you choose) in the second programming course.
The first database courses uses OP's pic related.
But after the second semester you can pretty much use anything you want. Some courses requires some academic tools that are not worth mentioning.
>>
Codeblocks, Sublime, Packet Tracer
>>
BlueJ for fundamentals.

Its disgusting but I undetstand its used cause of its tiny learning curve
>>
>>53894226
ohyeah, forgot codeblocks
>>
In our school we had some 'default' tool which the teachers gave us

Oracle sql developer, devcpp, vmware(a Very old cracked version), ubuntu, eclipse

Everybody could choose his own ides, intellij, visual studio etc.
>>
>>53894131
You are free to use any OS or text editor / ide you want.

Generally code is show in the professor's favorite tool and beginners usually just adapt to that since it's easier to follow the course in the same tool.

The only exception was that in the intro programming course (it was in C) you had to use a basix text editor and you had to compile from the terminal/cmd.
>>
I still have BlueJ fuelled nightmares.
>>
>>53894131
This was almost a decade ago, but I had to use Visual Studio.
>>
File: crap.png (275 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
crap.png
275 KB, 1680x1050
shit isn't working already
>>
>>53894131
VirtualBox
Code::blocks
Packet Tracer
MySQL

All that running on Ubuntu Unity.
>>
File: Python-logo-notext.svg.png (72 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Python-logo-notext.svg.png
72 KB, 1024x1024
Specifically, the Turtle library is the bane of my existence. I'm just a 10+ year software dev going back and getting my degree. Thinking like a retard is a challenge for me because I'm not used to it anymore.
>>
>>53894467
Hey, i gotta great idea! Let's build an IDE, something that has to do a high number of concurrent operations and disk operations, but let's do it in Java so everything has to be translated by the JIT. It will really piss those neckbeards off! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>53894239
sublime is awesome though. open up the command palette and install something
>>
>>53894478
what's wrong with virtualbox?
>>
>>53894131
>windows
>any office suite
>>
>>53894570
>installing office
yeah nah. i just use google docs. anyone who doesn't want to collaborate there can fuck off.

recently gave 2016 an honest shot, and wew lad, what a mountain of shit that """"""software""""" is.

besides, the two suites have virtually complete compatibility with eachother
>>
>>53894131
At my CS everyone let you choose any tool/language I want. The only exception is when we have to use C(that's reasonable for learning memory management) and one Java class where we had to use java and some shit frameworks.
On other classes I just use Arch, Atom, Rust and PostgreSQL everywhere.
>>
Matlab.
>>
The only times I had to use a specific tool was for a Software dev class where I had to use Android Studio/Intellij and another where we had to use a jtag interface. The department advocates for emacs but all my TA's use vim or gedit.
>>
>>53894643
>atom, not sublime
and you call yourself a rust programmer?
>>
>>53894594
I have to use microsoft office or libreoffice.
I'm not going to log into my google account on school computers.
>>
File: tovlvhmnr8zzga7xflrg.jpg (7 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
tovlvhmnr8zzga7xflrg.jpg
7 KB, 180x200
>tfw your teacher thinks recursion is too difficult to implement for problems where recursion is clearly better than iteration
>>
>>53894775
It's proprietary. If anything vim would be more suitable for Rust.
Also what's the difference, as long as you have working syntax highlighting, linter and can compile/execute inside the editor it doesn't matter what you use.
However I actually like that Atom is running on JS and webkit because I can change everything in it, from how things looks like, to implementing new features to already installed packages.
>>
>>53894835
For example?
>>
>>53894522
>this is a hobbled language that was designed so that iteration is preferred over recursion
>it is seriously, unironically used in database software (i'm durrring at you, django)
>>
>>53894131
Exactly this, NetBeans, SQL Developer on a shitty school database server, CodeBlocks and Packet Tracer. Not that I have to use them, but they are recommended tools. Also, one of the Java courses want us to use local Postgre database instead of shitty school one that you know how to use, because fuck you.
>>
Alice (beginner CS)
Netbeans or Eclipse (not required but recommended)
Visual Studio
MARS
DrRacket
Netlogo
some circuit design software
Microsoft Expression Web
Microsoft Access
MySQL + phpMyAdmin
Mathematica
Axure
Justinmind
IBM SPSS Statistics
Processing
Max
Arduino
GameMaker
Unity
3ds Max
Audacity
Photoshop
Premier
After Effects
Modo
Rhinoceros 3D + Grasshopper
>>
File: 1440278792837.jpg (127 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1440278792837.jpg
127 KB, 550x550
>>53895281
>Visual Studio
>Arduino
>Audacity
>Photoshop
>After Effects
>shit tools
>>
>>53895573
Yeah, I really dig ms vs, the only gripe I have with it was I spent a good 3 days googling how to run my website on a mobile device via wifi on the same network.

Could not do it at all.. I thought fuck it so I down loaded xampp and i had downloaded, configured and had my site on my test devices in about 30 minutes. Could have saved myself 3 days though ffs.
>>
>>53895281
>dr racket
just be thankful you're using Lisp. and dr racket is a solid IDE, and probably the best Lisp IDE
>>
>>53894131
- Cassandra
- IntelliJ IDEA
- PostgreSQL
- Visual Studio
- Xamarin
>>
Maple.

Fucking abomination.
>>
Wing, Eclipse, Linux.
>>
>>53894131
Not university, but still relevant.
There's an old HP procurve switch on my job that only has a web-interface that runs on straight fucking Java. Fuck having to interact with that shit ever.
>>
>>53894239
>codeblocks
>bad
>>
>>53898073
It is pretty unintuitive compared to the alternatives
>>
>>53894131
Fucking Office.

I also had to use Delphi once because some old instructor with assburgers insisted that it is a fine tool and not a proprietary piece of unstable shit with no good learning material anywhere.
>>
Is blackboard still total shit?
>>
>>53894594
care to elaborate what exactly is shit?
>>
mathcad is pretty buggy, at least the version my school has. Also creo, twice as complicated as its alternatives.
>>
>>53898090
which are? codelite is literally shit senpai
>>
>>53898408
Not him but:
>Visual Studio
>Clion
>Eclipse
I tried all of them and they were more powerful and intuitive than codeblocks.
>>
>>53894835
people who don't understand recursion should be gassed
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.