[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VRAM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: gigabyte_gtx_oc_wf2_2.jpg (173 KB, 880x769) Image search: [Google]
gigabyte_gtx_oc_wf2_2.jpg
173 KB, 880x769
>VRAM is technology, so...

I have a GTX960 4GB OC (pic related) and I wonder...

What is happening when you try to use the last 2GBs of VRAM on this card when it has only 128bit bus? See, on GTA V, on default settings, it sets almost everything on ultra and it takes around 2200MB - already somewhat passed that limit, but works perfectly fine on locked 60FPS.

IF I turn some more settings up, I get ~ 3200MB/4000MB of usage. So this looks like it is perfectly fine and it has plenty of VRAM left - but the bus is small. And when I try to actually play with these settings, I get 30-45FPS but it is dropping so hard it is completely unplayable.

So what happens here? Should I even use this part or what?

it is paired with i5 6500 and 16 gigs of RAM.

Also, I'm looking for new monitors and am wondering if it is better to buy some 1440p+ monitor or just a 1080p. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to play most of the games on highest settings, but monitor will stay and other parts will eventually change.

I built this configuration like a week ago, it is pretty great for now, but now I'm kinda wondering how upgradeable will it be. Going with "K" CPU and a "Z" MBO would be better but this was the limit of my budget. GPU will definitely be switched in the future but I don't know how actually good will be the CPU, being the non-clockable version. I have a feeling that in a 4-5 years I'll just have to buy a whole new rig again.

I mean, let's be honest here, all this mostly matters for high-end gaming, but the Photoshop, Premiere, FL Studio and other multimedia is what's actually important to me, but it's nice and comfy to be sure that you'll have a monster for the next half of the decade and you don't have to worry.
>>
You're hitting the actual GPU performance wall long before you even utilize all that VRAM. If Nvidia didn't make a reference spec for 4GB then its a board partners design. There may be applications that can utilize all the VRAM without raping the GPU, but most videogames will rape both and the 960 simply was not designed for 4 GB VRAM.
>>
>>53888679
AYO HOL UP
>>
>>53888679
AINT DAT SHIT 3.5 NIGGA?
>>
>>53888720
So basically, 4 gigs could be worth it (doesn't matter the price, 2 gig version was almost the same) for some other programs, but when it comes to games, I should basically treat it like a 2GB model and not push anything beyond that?
>>
>>53888804
Moar memory has been a practice used for over a decade, including video cards system memory and recently cpu/hdd cache size, majority of those improvements are like putting on a carbon fiber hood. Sure its a performance part but the car has other more serious bottlenecks
>>
>>53888679
>VRAM is technology
> GTA V
Back to your reddit.
>>
4gb helped run arkham knight smoothly with high textures.

couldn't do that with my 2gb 960m laptop.

if bus width is an issue why not go with amd, some of their cards have a 512bit bus i think.
>>
>>53889029
>implying vram isn't technology

I could say these fucking desktop threads and battlestation cancer threads aren't technology either, I could spout that shit in every fucking thread like you and your likeminded autistic friends do

Fucking degenerate
>>
>>53889079
>960M

That's a desktop 750 ti, Anon kun.

>>53888743
Wrong GPU. You're 10 short.
>>
gta5's vram numbers are approximations, not the actual usage. you can go to like 6gb of vram usage in gta5 before cards like the 970 turn into a stutterfest.
>>
>>53889218
>he is play in game for teenager
>call me degenerate
It's 18+ site, my friend.
Vram is technology, useful technology but not for child game.
>>
>>53889396
That game was just an example because it was demanding enough to test the power of my GPU. Stop with the nonsense.
>>
File: 1417811107694.jpg (129 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1417811107694.jpg
129 KB, 640x640
>>53889396
>>
>>53889396
What's an game for adulterys?
>>
>>53889396
Learn to speak english you fucking barbarian
>>
>>53889438
Love plus you can cheat on your gf.
>>
>Buying a Gtx 960
Wew lad
>>
>>53889413
Well this is shit example you don't talk about actual technology, you talked about your personal problem with game/driver/OS.
>>
>>53889561
What are you talking about? I was asking what happens with GPU when the usage passes the first 2 gigs.
>>
Enjoy your planned obsolescence op :^)

Seriously, buying a gpu with that low bandwidth in 2016 is ultra retarded. I can't wait to see all 128bit fags crying in abour a year. Sadly AMD is taking the same route with polaris 11, fucking jews.
>>
>>53889438
> I was asking what happens with GPU when the usage passes the first 2 gigs.
No you don't.
> I have a GTX960 4GB bla bla bla
> What is happening when [technically incompetent >ravings] of VRAM on this card when it has only >128bit bus? See, on GTA V, bla bla bla and it takes >around 2200MB - [technically incompetent ravings] >but works perfectly fine on locked 60FPS.
>IF I turn bla bla, I get ~ 3200MB/4000MB of usage. >So bla bla and it has plenty of VRAM left - >[technically incompetent ravings] . And when I bla >bla play bla bla, I get 30-45FPS bla bla completely >unplayable.
>So what happens here?
You mistake with subboard.
>>>/wsr/
>Should I even use this part or what?
Use brain.
Learn how to ask question.
>>
>>53889608
The GPU doesn't differentiate between the first and second 2GB sections. The 128bit bus is more related to bandwidth than memory access. Think about it, DDR3 is a 64-bit width interface, but has upper limits past 128GB.
>>
Yeah sure it allocates over 2gb but the ram on the card is getting paged out to your DRAM and eventually your hard drive.
>>
>>53889972
Not on the 4GB model.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.