[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Love computers since I could remember >Started using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: 1433377500132.jpg (174 KB, 734x582) Image search: [Google]
1433377500132.jpg
174 KB, 734x582
>Love computers since I could remember
>Started using Linux as a main OS after finding out about Slackware in 7th grade
>Built my own file server sophmore year of HS
>Parents want me to become a doctor because of family's medical background
>Force me to major in bio despite wanting to do CE
>Half way through my degree now, not interested in the material or the misrable fucks that surround me
>Taking orgo 2 and have absolutely no interest or desire to go to class, let alone memorize the crazy number of reactions and mechanisms we're supposed to know.
What do I do? It's too late to switch majors now, and even if I did it would just do more harm than good at this point.
Is pharmacy school a good option? Its much shorter and eadier to get into than med or dentsl school.
I think my dream job would be to work as a unix sysadmin though.
Is it possible to get a job with just certs?
>>
>>53878868
Pharmacy school is good if you just wanna stable job afterwards.

I was in the same situation as you before. Wanted to become graphic designer, but my parents forced me to med school.
>>
>>53878868
Please write GPL licensed medical software.
>>
how about you start being a grown up man?
>>
Choose an investigative field, so you can use your computer skills for simulating ADN chains or bacteria or whatever the fuck
>>
There shit that unites the two. Like gene sequencing or shit, where you create data tables of all the genetic information. Don't ask me about the concrete name of the profession because I only faintly remember it.
>>
>>53878999
Let me tell you, because of that stupid piece of advice you just had the audacity to post in here, in the country where I live we have more of a reason to trust the fucking internet than doctors when it comes down to our health.
>>
File: DoubleDubsfeel.jpg (5 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
DoubleDubsfeel.jpg
5 KB, 250x250
>>53878868
Quit.
Go take up Computer Circuitry engeneering.
Never look back.
>>
>>53878974
This. Anon, you could change the world.
>>
>>53878868
>It's too late to switch majors now

No it's not. It's never too late.

But the longer you wait, the worse it is. So do it now.
>>
Youre in too deep. Finish something on your path and self teach the rest of what really interests you in tech.

Later on in life if the opportunity arises to get a 2nd degree and its not too expensive or schedule busting then go back to CE
>>
Same situation as you, parents doctors, but I had no interest in medicine other than being conditioned to like it as a child. Always loved computers though.
3rd year I switched to computer science and the only things that transferred were electives and some side classes.

I'm back in my 2nd year of college at 21, and it feels shit that everyone is already graduating, and I wasted 2 years of education and money. But I know even more people that don't go to school at all and work minimum wage. All I want is to be able to support myself comfortably and be able to work, so I'm fucking making this major work.
>>
File: 1400120853348.jpg (104 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1400120853348.jpg
104 KB, 480x720
>>53878999
Whoa, digits of the cold hard truth!
>>
>>53878999
checked and rekt
>>
>>53878868
Wtf shitty parents
>>
File: 1458802598330.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1458802598330.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>>53878868
>finished high school
>having parents that force you to build YOUR life the way THEY ***WANT***
>>
>>53878868
>letting your parents decide what you do after you turn 18
This is the future you chose.
Don't waste your talents, retard. Switch.
>>
>>53878868
I wish I could take up medicine.

Grow up and take the damn MD education, and when you have a comfy public job that will never get laid off and will always be at the forefront of getting payrises you will thank me.
>>
Do something biotech related. Biomedical engineering?
>>
>>53878868
OP, you're going to end up earning a shit ton of money. You're going to have a wife and kids and your parents are going to love you, but you'll forever be a bitch and you'll probably end up killing yourself. Grow some balls and do what YOU want to do. 2 years in comparison to 70-80 is nothing. Work your ass off and do what you've always wanted to do.
>>
File: 1459531660622.jpg (50 KB, 550x323) Image search: [Google]
1459531660622.jpg
50 KB, 550x323
>>
File: 1459531831036.jpg (154 KB, 1182x708) Image search: [Google]
1459531831036.jpg
154 KB, 1182x708
>>
>>53878868
Bioinformatics, maybe?
>>
File: 1343116844759.png (88 KB, 298x332) Image search: [Google]
1343116844759.png
88 KB, 298x332
You can still get your degree while getting certifications.

I have co-workers in their 40s from totally different backgrounds make the switch to IT with just certifications.
>>
>>53878868
Finish bio major. Attend grad school for CE.

Work in the bio computer field. Sure you won't develop machines but you can program embedded software for machines like MRI's shit. Maybe down the line get into neuroscience and shit. Who knows. But there's plenty of work in biomechanics and shit. Fuck you think an engineer can make an advanced prosthetic without a programmer who knows his shit? Pls gooby
>>
>>53878868
Do what you want to do with your life. Your parents already got to live their lives. Don't give up on what you want to do so they can be selfish and try to live theirs a second time through you.
>>
>>53879031
Computational biology, bioinformatics
>>
>>53878868
how did your parents "force" you? couldnt you just have said "no fuck you" and did CE?
>>
>>53878868
IT is a Hufflepuff field you go into after fucking up your other opportunities. At least aim one rung higher for CS.
>>
>>53878868
What do you mean "force you"? Are they paying for your tuition? If not, you should have told them to fuck off, but you said they have a medical background so it's highly likely that they're paying your college tuition.
>>
>>53880343
>>53880366
What worries me is that Pharmacists always make the highest salary list, but apparently the field is saturated as fuck with chinks and pajeets.
I really don't know what to believe
>>
>>53878974
This is such a bad idea holy shit
>>
>>53880743
I go to a public school, so they pay my tuition.
Also they wouldn't let me to to a state or private school because they didn't want me to dorm.
>>53878974
Medical software, imaging and office systems are proprietary as fuck; and practitioners who own an office have inspections to check if they're using the correct software. They get fined if they don't.
The medical field is not a freedom friendly one sadly.
>>
>>53879985
>MD
>Comfy
Sure pal
Do you consider the following to be comfy?
>Spending your whole undergrad stressed as fuck, taking bullshit weeder classes like orgo and being surround by literal subhuman cretin pre-meds
>Taking an 8 hour exam that requires months for memorizing to prepare for
>Sitting for an interview where they grill you on your whole life and every action you've done
>If you miraculously survive the low as fuck acceptance rate you have to spend 4 more years being even more stressed out and taking even more weeder classes
>Take not one, but FOUR 7-14 hour exams that you need to study for WHILE you take those weeder classes
>Go on even more intense interviews that decide whether you spend the next 3-6 years of your life in rural Alaska or a big city
>Spend those 3-6 years making pennies while working around the clock. Being on-call at least twice a week.
>Finally graduate with over half a million in debt, and have to take more money on if you want to open a practice
>When you finally do, insurance companies do everything in their power to fuck you over and limit the money you can make
>If you make the smallest fuck up your ass is in court
>Stressful job with long hours unless your parents/connections got you an impossible to get dermatology residency

Yeah, real comfy.
>>
>>53878868
Dude NEVER listen to your parents about anything related to your professional life. NEVER.
>>
>>53878999
>doing what your parents tell you instead of making your own mind up is being a 'grown up man'
>>
Not too late to switch. I stopped around orgranic 2 to focus on computers and graduated on time. Take extra night class or over summer and get caught up. Or extend your schooling slightly to change focus from something you hate. Not rocket science here.

Pharmacy pay/hours are pretty good but if it's not what you want fuck it.
>>
>>53881221
I would have to transfer, and most likely lose a lot of credits since the CUNY system is fucked up.
I just want to get out of the school system with something that can get me a job. It's looking like pharm school is the best option for me right now but I'm worried about the saturation problem.
If I have a job I can go to night school etc. and get that engineering degree.
I'm really glad I have thick skin. I keep my cool pretty well and even I'm starting to feel serious anxiety.
Eating a lot isn't helping anymore sadly
>>
>>53881019
Those are written exams, I take it?
>>
>>53881149
You're retarded.
That's literally the opposite of what he was saying. He was saying op should tell his parents to fuck off.
>>
>>53881709
The MACT is a 9 hour multiple choice test. The answers and questions are highly specific though so it's not like you can use process of elimination.
The Boards are MC, written and for Step 2 CK and 3 they're done on pretend patients while you're observed.
>>
>>53878974
Stallman, go home
>>
>>53878999
This

Op, grow up and tell your parents to fuck off. Doing medicine when you hate it is the worst things you can do.
>>
>>53881847
If I were a Freshman I would have switched out immediately.
I'm more than halfway done with the Bio degree though.
>>
>>53880806
>parents doctors
>not state or private
Your parents seem controlling as fuck, but also dont seem to be paying shit.
Do what will make you happy anon, dont let your parents make you spend the next 40 years of your life doing something you despise.
>>
You don't need to get an degree from university to prove you're a competent developer.
Get certifications, make projects, etc. instead of working your way up to a CS degree which may ultimately have little/no value whatsoever.
>>
Finish your bio degree and go back for CE or cs and work in bioinformatics
>>
>>53878999
Tyrannysaurus Checked
and
Rektosauus
>>
>>53880748
Is it hard to believe that it's both?

There's nothing wrong with Chinese or Indian people in $200k jobs, they're great and highly skilled people.

The ones you have to watch out for are the ones in $10k jobs for the same profession. There's a reason why they compete entirely based on cost.
>>
Since you need a B.S. Of some sort in order to apply to med school, you should major in computational biology. Not many schools offer that specific major but you'll be able to essentially take CS/CE classes along with fulfilling the bio reqs for med school. After that you can go into the field of soft/hard ware or if you want apply to med school. Maybe med schools like people who major in other things than specifically bio?
>>
>>53880749
what's a bad idea is letting the private sector run your health industry

but given the statistical likelihood that you're an american't I fully understand why you'd fail to understand that
>>
>>53878868
Graduated job-hating MD in the same situation here. Please, do it, switch. Do it faggot. Fuck your parents with a power drill. Hurt them badly if you must.
>>
>>53878868
Switching majors probably won't set you back as much as you think it will.
1. The fact that you're just now taking orgo 2 means you're not very far in your degree
2. All of your core requirements will be satisfied still, and all of the science you've taken will probably count towards CE
3. You've probably had to take a bunch of math courses, those will count too.

You will catch up quickly by only doing CE courses compared to taking bio courses alongside core/other requirements
>>
>>53878868
Don't be stupid anon, you are at the very verge of greatness, you just haven't realized yet.

Cross field pollination.

Go to med school and pursue your CS or CE on the side.

CE alone, ~150k tops
MBA alone ~170k tops
MBA + computer sciences ~300 to start.

Trust me, strong degree + certified computer skills and programming = the future.
>>
File: 1400771234314.jpg (1 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
1400771234314.jpg
1 MB, 4928x3264
>>53878868
Chemical engineering. You already have the Chem down and they're the best payed engineer discipline. After you graduate just get a job programming, that's what a lot of engineering majors end up doing anyway.
>>
Actually, at my own faculty, there is specialization in "Medical Physics" and that combines what you might like - physics, medicine and a lot of programming related things.

I think you might want to look for something similar.
>>
>>53878974
You would become a god among pharmacists. Pls do it.
>>
>>53878868
When a post hits too close to home...

I'm in my third year and after volunteering in a lab realizde I'd much rather go into academia. My advice, don't waste your years thus far - keep a 4.0 gpa and do a MD/PhD in Bioinformatics. You get to work with Unix systems, tackle meaningful problems, do all the programming you want, and keep your parents happy by getting the MD. Don't do a residency and stick to research after the 7 years. A MD/PhD has a leg up over every other PhD or MD when trying to get positions at universities or positions in industry.

Also, orgo 2 was fuck easy, if you can't memorize a dozen reaction mechanisms then quit now
>>
>>53878868

> It's too late to switch majors now

No need to.

Just get a fucking degree and then work somewhere completely unrelated.
A friend of mine studie history and works now in IT.
The sys admin of my university studie physics.

Basically the degree just shows that you can finish stuff. The stuff you did in your life (best you can prove them) shows what your skills are.

You see, a lot of companies will invite you for a job interview just because they are curious why a bio guy would want to work as sys admin.
And then it's up to you to convince them.
>>
>>53884243
What's a good way to learn IT on a job-worthy level without majoring in it though?
>>
>>53878868
>it's too late to switch majors now
Change the way you think about your future. It's never too late. Doing something you dislike will make you unhappy forever. Don't be a fucking idiot and see that your parents are just people, people who grew up without the internet, and that only you know what is best for you. Doing more harm than good? Why, because mommy and daddy will disapprove? You're a trained slave already, op. Quit med school before I find you and saw your arms off.
>>
>>53878868
What's the point in doing something you hate for two years? You've no kids or responsibilities. Do what you want fuck you're crazy man switch.

What's the worst your doctor parents are disappointed you won't be a doctor. You have no legacy to maintain you're not royalty are you?

Dude. Just switch. Study what makes you happy. You shouldn't even be stressing about this it's not like you want to switch to Art History.
>>
Do what you like OP. I am fourth in year of uni and first year of Pharmacy school. It sucks.
>>
>>53885850
No shit pharmacy sucks. Enjoy putting pills in bottles while doctors pass off their busy work to you.
>>
>>53880343
Fucking murrika. Here in east yurop the physician's pay is eternal mortgage tier.
>>
>>53884243
Same here with a friend. Majored in history but managed to learn to code.
>>
>>53882890
Shitty Brit healthcare is bankrupt, literally billions in the red.
>>
>>53885906

Exactly. You are not in too deep yet OP. Switch now.
>>
File: chloe_bennet_15700004.jpg (237 KB, 1155x1600) Image search: [Google]
chloe_bennet_15700004.jpg
237 KB, 1155x1600
>>53878868
Just finish your studies and become a depressed unemployed fucker for about 2 years.

Your parents will change their minds then.
>>
>>53878868
I studied Medicine for two years, then said fuck it and studied Telecommunications Engineering for two years, then said fuck it and started Japanese Studies, which is what I'm currently studying, and I am alive and well.
>>
>>53878868
CE isn't even the right major for sysadmin work, it's basically computer-oriented EE. CS/CIS is more oriented towards what you want to do.

That being said, just switch. Your parents won't find out until you actually graduate, because FERPA.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.