[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long should you wait to upgrade your computer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: pm-631CD-big.png (209 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pm-631CD-big.png
209 KB, 500x500
I built my first computer about 3 years ago. It's still working fine for what i use it for but what kind of signs should i look out for to know when it's getting near time to upgrade/replace it?
>>
>>53874025
when your FPS drops
>>
>It's still working fine for what i use it for but what kind of signs should i look out for to know when it's getting near time to upgrade/replace it?
When it doesn't work fine for what you use it for anymore?
What kind of shitty question is this?
>>
I usually last about 5 years
>>
>>53874025
I built a high end computer back in 2008, upgraded to an ssd in 2010 and changed the graphics card once.

Last Nov (2015) I built a computer to replace it using the same graphics card from the old build. I would classify it as a mid-high end computer with an M.2 drive. I eventually plan on buying a new gpu for VR. Maybe a 980ti. If I'm lucky this computer should last me another 6 or so years with another gpu upgrade for 8k.
>>
>>53874025
30 years
>>
>>53874025
Upgrade a component when it no longer suits your needs, or it is defective. If the cost of upgrading a component outweighs the benefits versus a full system upgrade, go with the full system upgrade.
>>
>>53874025

>intelfag?
6-9 months

>amdfag?
3-5yrs
>>
>>53874842
I bought my i5 3570k 4 years, still no reason at all the upgrade. AMD has been absolute trash on the cpu front for years now and only true poorfags would even consider one.
>>
I built i5 2500k with a single gtx 560ti. 2011. 5 years later it is going strong and sli Ed thecard and oc the CPU. What a great machine
>>
Upgrade parts as necessary. Don't fall for regular upgrades, only upgrade when you need to for a use scenario.
>>
File: 4.png (176 KB, 579x326) Image search: [Google]
4.png
176 KB, 579x326
>>53874917
>B-b-but z-zen is suppose to destroy intel.
>>
>>53874917
AMD is able to match Intel in most cases at a lower price. Seeing as you already own an Intel i-series there's not much point in changing for awhile.
>>
>>53874025
When it doesn't work for what you need it anymore. It can either be because what you're doing changes or because software has moved forwards.

For example I built a computer in 2011 for mostly playing vidya, upgraded the GPU in 2014, but now my usage has gone from mostly playing games to working on making games, so I'm planning on upgrading significantly to do that better. If all I was doing was playing games still I'd just spend that money on a beefier GPU and still be fine.
>>
>>53875298
>AMD
>Match intel
>Their best chip can barely match an i5, let alone a standard i7 or the enthusiast i7s

Sure thing bro. Performance per dollar maybe, but overall intel's high end chips give you more bang if AMDs just aren't fast enough.
>>
bought my i7 4770k 2 years ago, computer been on pretty much everyday doing some resource heavy stuff - also since day 1 processor was overclocked to 4.3 and still is... not a problem, still works like in the first day.
>>
If your computer still runs decently the software you use, there is literally no reason to upgrade, unless you have a good reason to want better results.

As an audio dev, I upgraded a couple of months ago to a new audio interface because I needed better performances as regards audio processing, even though the audio interface I previously had was good.
But my computer itself is almost five years old and even if for muh gayems it is not good anymore (it wasn't really good from the beginning though), I still have no good reason to upgrade it.
>>
I use a twelve year old laptop with 2GB of RAM and a dual core 1.8GHZ (32bit though) CPU.

Really it's all about usage, or what you want from a computer. The only games I play are the occasional DOSbox/16bit console game, so I'm really not too fussed about upgrading.

Really it's the internet that's causing me to worry. The browser can take up nearly half my RAM on occasions.
>>
>>53874025
You must compare your processor with the modern ones to see the difference in performance.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.