[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the advantage of compiling a custom kernel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: installgentoo.jpg (289 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
installgentoo.jpg
289 KB, 512x384
what's the advantage of compiling a custom kernel
>>
Faster, smaller, lighter, configured how you want it to be.
>>
>>53871334
You get to enable features that the stock kernel doesn't include or misconfigured.
>>
Boy I'd compile her kernel if you know what I mean!
>>
>>53871334
It can be much smaller and load significantly faster, especially on hard drives (as opposed to SSDs).

You can also statically compile everything you want and disable the module system to cut off a very big chunk of the rootkit attack surface.
>>
>>53871334
it enables you to really know your system better because you know exactly what's running.
>>
File: make_xconfig.gif (14 KB, 776x398) Image search: [Google]
make_xconfig.gif
14 KB, 776x398
None today, really.
I compiled kernels before storage was cheap and the internet was fast for public repositories. Back when you got a basic kernel, and usually had to compile a kernel for one or three devices you wanted to use, you had to make a kernel custom for you.

Oh the time I spent choosing what to compile into a kernel...
>>
>>53871334
It lures you to thinking your life is not meaningless.
>>
>>53871477
In practical terms, the difference is minimal enough it's not really worth the time and effort spent.
>>53871484
Outside of a really unusual hardware setup, you're unlikely to find that necessary.
>>
For the average user? There isnt really, it's honestly a lot of hassle for very little increased performance. It's really only worth it for embedded system IMO.
>>
>>53871556
>In practical terms, the difference is minimal enough it's not really worth the time and effort spent.
I disagree, a minimal kernel with my own config is noticeably quicker. Not only that but I prefer to configure it myself for the purpose I need it for, any default kernel is a compromise compared to what it could when configured for one purpose.
>>
>>53871586
I dunno... I used to run custom kernels before getting sick of the process, and I didn't notice any drop in performance when I switched to a stock kernel.
>>
Feet and gentoo, the 2 best things.

Gentoo makes it easy to fuck with kernel. As simple as toggling something in a menu. Haven't tried it with any other distribution but it makes sense to do when it's that easy.
>>
>>53871652
It depends what you need it for. For browsing web, watching videos, listening to music, and stuff like that then there probably wouldn't be much difference but if you're compiling or encoding there are things which can make quite a big difference in terms of responsiveness while these tasks are performed. If you're in to music production then the difference between a well configured kernel and a generic one is very easily noticed (xruns and latency).
>>
>>53871696
make menuconfig is universal
>>
>>53871727
So in other words, not much point unless you've got some very specific requirements.
>>
>>53871556
>Outside of a really unusual hardware setup, you're unlikely to find that necessary.
Disagree. How many stock distros use grsecurity, for example?

Heck, how many stock distro's kernel configs still use SLAB by default over SLUB?
>>
>>53871334
>what's the advantage of compiling a custom kernel
you get to say that you did it urself
>>
>>53871780
Well, specific to one person is basic requirement for another.
Chances are you I could give you two kernels where you could see some difference, even if minor. Whether you think it would be worth doing all the work for a small improvement is another question.
>>
>>53871788
Again, not really *necessary*. Desirable, in certain situations, sure.
>>53871850
>Well, specific to one person is basic requirement for another.
Well yes... but if the person it's a basic requirement for represents a very small percentage of the total user base, it is still a very specific requirement.
>>
>>53871934
Using a computer is also not necessary.
>>
>>53871934
I would actually argue there are more users of linux who use it for specific purposes than there are general users.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.