[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the LaTex meme done with now when it's 2016 and the latest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: main_medium.png (102 KB, 560x352) Image search: [Google]
main_medium.png
102 KB, 560x352
Is the LaTex meme done with now when it's 2016 and the latest version of Word is good?

I see no reason to use LaTex whatsoever. Isn't it just these days for pretentious neckbeards who love to be smug about anything that has a poor UI and a learning curve?
>>
Use Libreoffice.
>>
I'm writing a paper and the journal I'm submitting it to only accepts LaTeX
>>
>>53862137
What are utter plebs like you doing on a tech board again?
>>
LaTeX can do chemical figures, graphs, reactions, math, diagrams, references and a ton of other stuff in a way that is easy to use once you get the hang of it.

I agree that it is overkill for simple text documents (you could argue that MS Word is too), but for scientific reports and similar documents, there is just no competition at all.
>>
>>53862137
>too dumb to figure out latex
>make a thread to see if anyone else feels the same
>latest version of word is good

This has to be bait
>>
>>53862387
>LaTeX can do chemical figures, graphs, reactions, math, diagrams, references and a ton of other stuff in a way that is easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Word can do those better. It might stumble on some corner cases though, so latex is still more reliable
>>
Pure text is more stable than propriety binaries.
>>
>>53862465
what about managing a 400+ pages document?

LaTeX allows splitting the document in several small files for easier editing. Then the LaTeX engine will recombine those parts with a consistent look.
>>
LaTeX has always been a meme; real Unix men use troff.

or asciidoc
>>
>>53862137
>I see no reason to use LaTex whatsoever.
Then don't use it, fucktard.

>Isn't it just these days for pretentious neckbeards who love to be smug about anything that has a poor UI and a learning curve?
Keep projecting. The math environment in LaTeX is pretty much essential for stuff like math and physics. Not just to get stuff done, but also to be taken somewhat seriously in academia.
>>
>>53862465
Word can not do chemical reactions unless you hand draw them in the """"""image editor"""""" which is somehow even worse than Paint.

The reference system in Word is also garbage as soon as you have more than 5 references.

Math in Word is getting okay, but there are a lot of things that LaTeX does better here too, like aligning equations, symbols and equation numbering.
>>
>>53862137
>latest version of Word is good
2016 was a downgrade from 2013 that was a downgrade from 2010 that was a downgrade from 2007
>>
>>53862137
>I see no reason
Doesn't mean there are none. The number of people ill with this logic fallacy in this board is outstanding.
>>
Latex is if you want to do a really long book or do complicated forumulas that involve a lot of notation. Outside of that and especially for making your CV, it is indeed for unemployables who want to turn even writing their CV into a timesink, ironically hoping to be hired with their "amazing looking CV" yet have no content planned to be on it and will ironically never finish it, just like their obscure linux distro, it was never meant to be finished.

Same retardation will make a homeless person not want to be with a company because they don't accept .pdf, and push the whole thing away because "it was probably a shit company anyway". They want .doc so they can put notes on it, and you're a contrarian protesting hippie idiot if you can't play along for two minutes if it's a real big company, you're talking to the HR dept not the IT dept. Honestly for some people free software isn't really used it's just their way to be different and fight absolutely everyone on it even someone who was going to offer them a job.
>>
>>53862137
>>53862465
This is obviously a disinfo shill
>>
>he fell for the WYSIWYG meme

If you want an UI just use LyX you braindead mouthbreather!
>>
>>53862417

most of 4chan is this. insecure teenagers trying to anonymously vet what is cool to--i imagine--be cool IRL
>>
>>53862137
>>LAaTeX
>>poor UI

Yes, tell me all about how LaTeX, C++, and German have a poor UI. Kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>53862465
Honestly, Word (or Writer etc) at this point should just be a front end for LaTeX. Not whatever shit format they use.
>>
File: why.jpg (30 KB, 482x453) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
30 KB, 482x453
>he fell for the LaTeX meme
>he doesn't realise the reason TeX looks good is 99% down to the font
>he doesn't realise you could use the font in any other text editor and achieve the same (if not nicer) result
>>
>>53862851
I actually missed a couple of the points there. Reactions, figures and drawing aren't even really supported by word, there's no packages for that unlike with Latex. For references there's a few programs (endnote?) which make word top-tier at reference management.

>>53862722
Latex is better at that obviously. Word does let you split too, but it's a hassle, and obviously you'll be better off if you can use your text editor when the document gets long.
>>
>>53862465
>better
lol what am i reading
>>
is the meme meme done now it's 2016, getting real tired of your shit
>>
>>53863200
Did you get frustrated learning it and give up anon? Try again! This is a good resource: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX
Good luck this time, you can do it! :-)
>>
>>53865537
Have you even used Word in this decade? The math and reference management parts are sufficient for 99% use and more convenient than latex.
>>
>>53862249
This, it works for regular writing and has just about all the math stuff needed for formulas, to where it's usable for all my discrete math assignments
>>
>>53865592
>more convenient

Maybe if you're some mouse user that enjoys the thought of clicking though multiple menus and text boxes just to do even simple things like a summation
>>
>>53862137
Word isn't nearly as powerful as LaTeX, and whilst I think it serves a particular purpose, it's not a de facto replacement.

What we do need, however, is an intuitive front-end for LaTeX, for the purpose of generating simple content such as slide shows, minutes, etc.

That aside, the only programmes that compete with LaTeX are Ventura (which is more-or-less defunct now) and QuarkXPress - both of which are more appropriate in a professional environment due to their support and ease of use.

That said, if you want to generate publication quality content, or, more importantly, if you want to submit papers for peer-review that comply with a journal's style, LaTeX is the most likely choice.
>>
>>53865672
You do know Word has Tex-style markdown with automatic completion on space, right?
>>
>>53862465
Pajeet, is that you? how many more rupees.
Are you insaciable?
>>
>>53862137
No, as they aren't aimed at the same market or designed for the same tasks.

Word is for slapping together a letter or memo quickly with minimal effort or knowledge required.

LaTeX is for making professional looking articles, typically for math and CS journals, and typically with lots of math formulas, charts and graphs.

Yes, you can make formulas, charts and graphs in Word, but it takes more effort to get them to line up just how you want and to sift through palettes of math symbols rather than type the formula out directly.

One example is the diagram in your picture. Once you know and are used to using LaTeX (and you will be if you write a lot of CS stuff), it's rather quick and easy to make that and have everything line up perfectly. Now want it shrunk to reflow the paper into columns? Simple. In Word you'd have to manually line up each line, and scaling it down can be messy.
>>
Because all alternatives are inferior. Stuff like Markdown and AsciiDoc works for some use-cases, but often they are under-powered. Yes, LaTeX is very complex, but you can do all kinds of stuff with it.

WYSIWYG is just complete garbage. Not even worth discussing, it's terrible.
>>
>>53865696
>What we do need, however, is an intuitive front-end for LaTeX, for the purpose of generating simple content such as slide shows, minutes, etc.
or you can stop being a little bitch and learn how to write in LaTeX.

that already exists btw it's called texmaker; although it's more of an IDE then anything...

Also anything/everything written in word looks like garbáge
>>
>>53865751
>Markdown and AsciiDoc works for some use-cases, but often they are under-powered

Typesetting isn't much of a thing anymore, it's been replaced by more semantic languages like AsciiDoc. For example, Oreilly publishing now requests that you use AsciiDoc when sending them manuscripts.
http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000065/ch04.html
>>
Well why yes, write this in Word. Nobody in sciences use Word
>>
>>53862795
> The math environment in LaTeX is pretty much essential for stuff like math and physics. Not just to get stuff done, but also to be taken somewhat seriously in academia.

No, it isn't. I used LaTex just occasionally when I was a Statistics student; but it was the 2000's, not 2016 as he pointed out. After completing high school you will found out many teachers and researchers won't care much if you use toilet paper to write a really good article - especially the most prominent ones. They are too focused on the spirit, discoveries and key aspects of it.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.