[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Java
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: java.png (73 KB, 787x490) Image search: [Google]
java.png
73 KB, 787x490
I am still using Java. Is there something better? What are you using?
>>
Depends
>>
>>53857818
Ah i see. Thanks, marking thread as solved and upvoting.
>>
>>53857776
>be me
>learn java
>earn 6 figure salary
feels good
>>
>>53857888
whats you job, 8ball?
>>
I use Java only for serious projects that I finish.

C is good for feeling like a hacker, functional languages for feeling like a smart hipster. Don't think you'll end up with something functional when using functional languages.

JavaScript for if you don't care about writing good code or performance, you just want your HTML elements to have the right color.

C++ is like Java, but tends to be a good medium for people who can't into C and then don't understand the concepts when using C++ making horrendous abomination a of programs, be careful not to not understand the concepts and you're fine.

Python is funny for little convenience scripts, but not more than that.

C#, along with Visual Basic, Apple Script, Objective C and Swift is absolute garbage, you are not a developer, but a tool, if you use any of these lock-in languages.
>>
>be me
>learn java
>get hired by IBM
>get to move to USA on work visa
>earn $35k a year

feels good, but I am still learning how to use the loos here.
>>
>>53857978
How is Java any different than any of those "lock in" languages if it's fucking owned by Oracle?
>>
>>53858023
What do you mean with lock in. Java is literally write once run everywhere.

Yes Oracle is a patent troll tier company, but that's not very much related.
>>
>>53858055
>but that's not very much related
tell that to Google
>>
>>53858059
What on earth is your point.
>>
>>53858055
If Oracle doesn't write a JDK for your platform, you're not getting Java. I think they control the development of the open JDK too.

C# runs on pretty much everything now thanks to Xamarin, so idk what your point is.
>>
>>53858069
Oracle is suing Google over some Java related thing
>>
>>53858085
>some Java related thing
Google violated the GPL and/or the proprietary license on Oracle's Java code. The lawsuit was entirely reasonable.
>>
>>53858145
No, here's a TL;DR I found
>Google's implementation used the same names, organization, and functionality as the Java APIs.

As in the code itself is different, but the results are the same

that's fucking bullshit, because being able to copyright APIs can turn out to be dangerous as fuck
>>
>>53858076
Oracle creates the specification, that's how far their control goes.

Xamarin? Really? Don't you see anything wrong with that approach? So if i use Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Visual Studio and Microsoft Xamarin I can transpile my Microsoft app to two other platforms so there is no OS lock-in.
Also https://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono
>>
>>53858190
Yes, APIs are code. They were considered copyrighted before.
>>
>>53857776
Meh, java is a love hate thing. But it is okay.
>>
>>53857776

Honestly why does anyone need a anything aside from batch and powershell?
>>
>>53858229
Read that again

They didn't copy the code

They copied the functionality

That's like Mr Benz copyrighting the idea of all internal combustion engines (fuel + air + fire -> energy to whatever) even the ones that do it differently
>>
>>53857985
>move to USA on work visa

Good luck on being a literal wage slave, pajeet
>>
>>53858252
>>That's like Mr Benz copyrighting the idea of all internal combustion engines
As far as the copyright law is concerned, code is different from physical inventions.
>They didn't copy the code
>They copied the functionality
"Code" is a vague term. "Code" consists of interfaces and implementations. Interfaces (= APIs) are code.

I am not saying they're morally right, but the legal case is understandable.
>>
>>53858289
That implies that rewriting the interface code would solve the problem, which is not the case.
>>
>>53858289
So acording to you

static int multiply(int a, int b){
return a*b

and

static int multiply(int a, int b){
for(int i = 0; i < b; i++){
a += a;
}
return a;

Are the exact same thing and if I copyright one the other can't exist without the owner paying me?
>>
>>53858379
pls ignore my shit full of errors code
>>
>>53858391
oh fuck off, I didn't bother making the code 100% correct, but it gets my point across
>>
File: 1459735843769.jpg (44 KB, 484x534) Image search: [Google]
1459735843769.jpg
44 KB, 484x534
>>53857776
Enjoy your exploits
>>
>>53858379
>Are the exact same thing
No, but both are copyrightable.
>if I copyright one the other can't exist without the owner paying me?
static int multiply(int a, int b)
is trivial and it's just one function. But if you have hundreds of functions that are not trivial, then you have a case.
>>
>>53858498
So Oracle might have a point, but they shouldn't have one, and it would be an ethically incorrect one. And also be missing the point, https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.en.html

Nah, they might have a case, but not a justified one. They're just a bunch of dicks.
>>
>>53858625
The fun part is Sun praised Google for making Java popular with Android

then they got bought by Oracle
>>
>>53857776
>Is there something better?
Kotlin. Ceylon. Both are straightforward Java replacements with few downsides. The only problem is, there's two of them but only one will probably win big. It would be unfortunate to bet on the wrong one.
>>
File: 1455379508190.gif (514 KB, 221x231) Image search: [Google]
1455379508190.gif
514 KB, 221x231
>>53857776
>mfw constantly cherrypicking versions due to most of them being a buggy mess
Get your shit straight Oracle.

>>53857888
>learn java
>maintain age old company software because company doesn't want to change or port the software to another language
Thems easy dosh m8.
>>
>>53857978
>C# is absolute garbage
You're right about the rest, but C# is comfy as fuck man.
>>
I mainly use java for runescape, that's it. I don't use it anywhere else. If a site asks me to turn on java, then I fuck off that site and try to find an html5 version (there's always at least one).
>>
>>53858498
Copyright over a non-creative work, such as a collection of function signatures, is evil. Rentseeking is evil.
>>
>>53858783
>Copyright over a non-creative work ... is evil.
That's just shifting the terms around unless you have a good definition for what is "creative". Is a nonfiction book creative? Is a business report? What about a map? An instruction manual?
>>
>>53857978
I use python extensively and yeah, scripting is the best part of it... but you can write big software too.

I guess youtube-dl is an example for that.
>>
>>53857776
Value question.

If you are looking for a new programming language for the JVM, there's Scala. It's big, it's ugly in many places, it takes longer to compile than Java. However, it allows you to write code that's almost as concise as in Python/Ruby that still takes advantage of static typing and your software runs real fast.
>>
>>53858884
s/Value/Vague/
>>
>>53858717
what about Scala?
>>
>>53857978
Are you a freshman or already a sophomore?
>>
>>53858908
Contrary to what some say, Scala is not "a better Java". It is very much its own thing that's really far too complex to compete with Java directly. Teams that try it hoping only to get a better Java, rather than a Haskell-lite/OCaml++, may well regret it. Ceylon and Kotlin, on the other hand, are made specifically to replace Java. Each is in its own way more powerful than Java but they share the quality of being judicious about implementing new features that add to the complexity. If you are a Java dev, you should at least take a look at both. It may improve your Java.
>>
File: rage.gif (179 KB, 316x310) Image search: [Google]
rage.gif
179 KB, 316x310
>C# is pretty comfy, and is similiar to java as I know, so this should be easy
>Alright lets start learning java and android development.
>Look up how to start
>Install JRE, SDK and whatnot
>Their installers already complaining that they cant be installed into the directory I chose.
>God, fine.
>It installs its bloat all over the computer anyway.
>What the fuck, okay
>Install Android Studio, start it up
>Sorry this software requires previous version of java SDK and JRE.
>What.
>Install that shit instead.
>Android Studio complains that some java shit is still missing somehow.
>Install that too...
>Android Studio complains that some java shit was installed incorrectly, and please reinstall it.

What the fuck is this shit, this meme language cant be real seriously. This JRE and SDK bullshit is the biggest faggotry ever.

Never again.
>>
>>53858892
what's with this one fucking double nigger who thinks he can sed his posts with replies
>>
>>53859188
learn a real language
>>
>>53859277
>he doesn't have the post sed user script
>>
>>53859290
m8, if that doesn't exist I'm going to be pissed
>>
>>53859277
what's with this one person who thinks he's cool by being a racist
>>
>>53857776

Having an Oracle Java runtime installed makes you feel icky. Plus their updater is borked security wise. Look it up. And what about pushing garbage at you on each update? Get rid of it.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.