[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Routers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1688401_sa.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1688401_sa.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Ok, my situation has gotten to this point, we need to replace out home router.

Now, from my understanding, consumer routers suck all the dick, and I don't want to be stuck with one because I don't have the money to dick around with replacing shit on a whim, so I'm trying to figure out what the best router would be for the money.

What I believe to be the best for us would be
EdgeRouter X
with a
UniFi AP AC PRO

The issue that I run into is I cant fucking find people benchmarking this against consumer routers so knowing for a fact, something I can look at numbers and know this is the right choice is hard.

So I want to ask here, anyone know of good benchmarks that I can look at with this paired up against other consumer routers?

Possibly, does someone know of something better?
>>
$90 for used T-Mobile TM-AC1900, flash it with asuswrt-merlin (same hardware as Asus rt-ac68u)
>>
>>53853713
Don't buy Ubiquiti is all I can say. Cheap fucking shit. Their tech support is fucking awful too. I'm not saying this as a NEET either, but from having to use these in a SMB environment. They can't even survive SMB FFS.
>>
>>53853763
That is what I have, just not the T-mobile part, a firmware update fucked it, and I can not attempt to fix in case of bricking and not having internet at all.

>>53853763
Any alternative? Because everything that I have seen point to this being the best option but I just cant find the benchmarks paired against other things, largely its anecdotal posts about it.
>>
>>53853819
>any alternative?
No. Everything in tech is 100% shit tier. Just do yourself a favor. Whatever you buy, look up the company and make sure they have an A and are BBB accredited.

Accredited companies:
* apple
* red hat
* godaddy

F companies:
* Microsoft
* ubiquiti
* namecheap
>>
>>53853935
How am I able to look that up or is it just dick around on their websites till i see something?
>>
>>53853819
My AC68U running Merlin has been solid for like 6+ months serving a 1Gbps connection. What firmware are you running?

Also it really is pretty hard to brick an AC68U, the firmware update process isn't restricted in any way (you don't need to bypass anything or use dodgy methods) and I'm quite certain there are ways to recover even if an upgrade fails.
>>
use anything that runs shibby tomato*.

*since you're too dumb to use pfsense.
>>
>>53853819

What he's saying is that you should be spending thousands of dollars on new Cisco or Juniper devices because he couldn't get his Ubiquiti stuff to work in an SMB network.

Ubiquiti gear is fine. Mikrotik is also worth a look as it's in same price bracket.

You could also get a small x86 box and run pfSense for the router component.

There's also the option of a getting secondhand Cisco or Juniper router, but you would likely be paying same amount for brand new Ubiquiti device.
>>
>>53854197
This
>>
>>53854048
I literally can not dick around with it as I have no means to access the internet without it, so if a firmware fucks up, that's it, I have to go get something from wallmart as that's the only place near by that has routers.

The firmware is what asus supplies, just the newest one, not the beta, and it stopped wireless stopped working on half the devices in the house and it now crashes every other day.

The moment I get a new router, I'm going to dick around with that thing and try to get it to work correctly, if I can its going to be an access point.

I'm considering just getting the box router and not the wireless part, that way I have my backup if i fuck the asus router completely and i'm not left stranded.

>>53854094
That is what I'm going to move the asus to, however I require a backup for internet.

That and my family is sick of the internet going out that its either I buy a new one or they get the cheapest wall mart one and toss what we have away even if its potentially fixable.

>>53854197
That still brings me to the I have no idea what to believe on the benchmark side, as some claim its 500mbps and some claim 50mbps, so what would make me have confidence in the purchase is this router+access point or at least one of their access points compared to a consumer option in the same environments.

I really don't want to be stuck with another fucking Belkin like experience, even though i highly doubt it could ever get that bad.
>>
>>53854040
BBB.org
>>
>>53854197
I'd like to interject for a moment.

Our ubiquiti equipment did work in an smb. Just not for long. Faulty radios, defective ethernet, poe adapters dying. Typically dies within a year. And their tech support was dogshit, asking me to do things I explained I already did in the ticket I opened. /rant unless I get triggered.
>>
>>53854254
>wireless stopped working on half the devices in the house and it now crashes every other day
There's a known issue with certain revisions and wireless on newer firmwares actually. Reading up on that and downgrading as far back as required will probably fix it.
>>
>>53854267
All that I see there is 10 people had issues, and this being a tech company, and from what I have seen a half step between consumer and enterprise, its not shocking.

That and when someone shit breaks and they cant get it fixed fast enough or know how to apply what they are told, they get pissed.

I could be wrong but I would need a lot more then 10 cases of something fucking up from a company to write them off completely.

>>53854468
Yea, tried doing that and it gave us (namely me) a scare when the router just 100% stopped working when trying to put an older firmware on it.

Knowing that if I power it down the thing is almost certainly bricked, I left it alone for 5~ hours. Deciding that there is no way in hell that it is not crashed, i decided to power it off and on to see if the thing was completely, dead... shockingly enough to me, it wasn't, but it was still using the new firmware. Sense then I tried to find the old router, because that way I would have a backup plan if the router fucked itself... without a backup I cant bring myself to touch the firmware again...
>>
>>53853757
Are they seriously the same thing?
>>
>>53854615
It seems like the hardware is just rebranded, my specific version of the router is the retail version.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.