[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android FOSS thread? Also I have some questions. 1.Is there any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_20160403-203506.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160403-203506.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
Android FOSS thread? Also I have some questions.
1.Is there any way to get swipe typing working on full FOSS?
2.Any good launchers?
Also share your cool apps with your fellow freefriends.
>>
>No KISS Launcher
>No K9 Mail
>No WebTube

Try again
>>
>>53852604
Just installed about an hour ago.
>>
>>53852540
what calendar are you using?
>>
>>53852694
Stock cyanogen
>>
File: protonmail.jpg (29 KB, 679x428) Image search: [Google]
protonmail.jpg
29 KB, 679x428
How do y'all feel about ProtonMail?
>>
>>53852540
>1.Is there any way to get swipe typing working on full FOSS?
No. Google's gesture typing technology is entirely proprietary. You can edit the .apk of the open source equivalent to include this proprietary technology, but there is no open source way to do it.
>>
>>53852770
Wish it was on f-droid, not google play.
Shattered Pixel Dungeon is probably my favorite phone game, and it's on f-droid to boot.
>>
where that libresignal at senpai?
>>
>>53852540
>2.Any good launchers?

What's wrong with Trebuchet?
>>
>>53852846
This. Shattered PD is god-tier
>>
Any open source torrent clients for android? Using Flud rn.
>>
>>53852604
>>53852770

>Buy Android
>Need secondary email program with weird name and icon just to function properly
>Still not as good as IOS mail

It's like android was designed for children and non-professionals.
>>
>>53853049
>IOS even mentioned in a FOSS thread
l m a o
>>
>>53853049
at least they weren't stupid enough to not include a calculator
>>
>>53853049
>Buy Android
Android is free wtf are you talking about
>>
>>53852540
>Functioning WiFi
>FOSS
Nope, try again.
>>
>>53852540
Google keyboard is Foss and has the best swipe type
>>
>>53853049
They're doing full FOSS only. Default Android has a perfectly fine email client. That's like suggesting Windows in a "best fully open source Linux distro" conversation.
I rate your bait as 7/10.
>>
>>53853128
Your smartphone wifi module is app dependent? Nice.
Back to /v/eddit please.
>>
>>53853162
>Google keyboard is Foss and has the best swipe type
Mind pointing at the source code, then?
>>
>>53853184
Your smartphone WiFi driver is FOSS? Please, post sources.
>>
>>53852954
I don't think so.

Why is it so hard for someone to just make a transmission port and slap some basic UI on it?

Hell, iOS even has a transmission port.
>>
>>53853049
>iToy user can't comprehend using any mail client of his choosing and just syncing it with any other e-mail accounts he might have

It's like iOS was designed for childeren and tech illiterates.
>>
>>53852770
Unnecessary if you really care about privacy as you should be using PGP. That said, K9-Mail + GnuPG is best combo. (Nevertheless, it seems to be an excellent mail provider.)
>>
>>53853240
What dependencies does it have? It shouldnt be too hard.
>>
>>53852954
The outdated shitty Frostwire on F-Droid. Probably the newer edition may be build similarly to remove the ad jars.
>>
>>53852540
Android comes with swipe typing built in.
Are you that fucking autistic that you won't just use it because it isn't open software?
>>
Guys, is Trebuchet really the only kinda-full-fledged launcher that we can get as FOSS? :(
>>
>>53853355
Google keyboard does. The stock keyboard that comes with most custom firmware lacks swiping.
>>
>>53853355
>caring about the fourth amendment is only for the autistic
>>
>>53853409
>The fourth amendment applies to private corporations
>>
>>53853444
Obviously not... which is why we avoid them. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>53853517
What I am saying is the fourth amendment is irrelevant.
>>
>>53853049
There's idiots... And then there's this guy.
>>
>>53852540
>1.Is there any way to get swipe typing working on full FOSS?
No, there's no free as in freedom implementation of Swype, you can run it if you flash or copy the necessary closed source library, but then it wouldn't be full FOSS
But at least you won't flash Play Services and you won't be running Google Keyboard, not that it will be any different though
Unfortunately a good FOSS Swype implementation will be pretty hard to appear ever, since by design it needs a lot of data mining
>2.Any good launchers?
A lot of people like KISS, I'm fine with Trebuchet
>>53853049
Is there even a way to have GPG in iOS?
>>53853162
Most of the code is, but the Swype libs aren't, and I believe most of the sync code isn't either
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.