[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What sort of social opportunities (outside of 4chan, IRC and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 20150212_090022.jpg (853 KB, 2064x1161) Image search: [Google]
20150212_090022.jpg
853 KB, 2064x1161
What sort of social opportunities (outside of 4chan, IRC and so on) exist for us techie scum?

I never really had friends as a kid, never spoke to anyone in college and rarely leave my apartment, and I'd like to change that if possible
>>
>>53852469
you can go to hackerspaces and "maker" shit. that only works if you want hipsters for friends though so its not a general solution
>>
>>53852469
There's usually a bunch of hackathons going on around the world at any one time - They're a good place to meet other techies, I hear.

A quick google tells me there's one in NY in 5 days, for example.
>>
>>53852542
Yeah, the majority of the "maker" people I know are aspie and act like having a 3d printer is absolutely the best thing ever. I get it, it's a very useful device to have around, but they act like everything they do must revolve around it when they join the "subculture".
>>
>>53852715
Most hackathons these days are glorified TED level crap where they don't even bother doing proof of concept level stuff.
>>
>>53852807
Still, it works as a "social opportunity" right?

Unless you mean that the people there will also be shit-tier, in which case you might be right
>>
>>53852923
They are most likely either to be so far down the autism spread that socializing with them will literally cause pain or so far in the other direction that they have no clue about real tech stuff past "I have a mac!" I went to a linux convention a couple years ago and I was still hard pressed to find real tech people.
>>
>>53852973
I guess it depends on the area. I've been to a couple and they all seemed relatively decent people (obviously the odd autist as well, but...)
>>
I know what you're asking for, OP. I've looked too, and the answer is no. Sorry.
>>
>>53853030
Oh, alirght. Too bad
>>
>>53852469
I would very much like to know the backstory behind this image.
>>
>>53852469
>What sort of social opportunities (outside of 4chan, IRC
>I never really had friends as a kid, never spoke to anyone
just kill yourself op
>>
develop AI.
>>
>>53853155
Woke up one morning and saw this outside my apartment, and took a photo. It was painted over by someone a day or two later.
I live in an area in Seatlte where rent prices have risen sharply in the last few years as a result of high-tech development, so the backlash is understandable.
>>
>>53853223
We don't even have decent virtual assistants yet. I wish we actually had the capability to develop a working AI at the moment, but it is still incredibly far off.
>>
I've been hikkineet for the past 6 years. my boyfriend is the only social contact I have outside 4chan
>>
>>53852973
The hell kind of hackathon are you talking about? Nowadays they're all full of "muh startup" shit imported from SV, either that or it's some corporate scheme to trick idiots into giving them free work.
>>
>>53853242
>Seattle
Fuck, I assumed SV. How bad has it actually gotten in Seattle? Have they gotten to the "flipping busses" stage yet? (I'm also in Seattle, but doing a Ph.D, so I'm too broke to live in the sorts of neighborhoods that have these problems.)
>>
>>53853300
Since I don't really go out much except for work, church or groceries, I couldn't say, but going off the reactions online I can't imagine people are really happy about things
>>
>>53852469
Go volunteer somewhere. Only interacting with people in tech-related environments is autistic as fuck.
>>
File: telephonic_armwrestling.jpg (20 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
telephonic_armwrestling.jpg
20 KB, 400x266
The art world will accept techies with open arms assuming you have any sort of interest in that endeavor, can adapt to the lingo and pretentiousness, and you are at least a tiny bit creative and original. All depending on where you live, of course.
http://www.creativeapplications.net/
>>
meetup.com

or, you know, striking up a conversation with someone
>>
>>53852469
>and I'd like to change that if possible
Are you sure?
>>
>techie scum
>socializing
Normies.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.