[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im spending my inheritance to kill clickbait
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (359 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359 KB, 2000x1000
Sup /g/. I haven't messed with programming since 2006. (I was a shitty c++ kid who never really learned) haven't built myself a PC since 2010. I used to be into tech stuff more but the new internet just sucks. I miss static websites and people who actually built things. I miss the old old hackaday.

The Internet is now a system that profits off normies. And I hate it. I hate clickbait.

I work as a carpenter now btw. I pay my bills and take care of myself, and I was going to spend this little windfall on a new rig. Install a distro on my old one, etc.

But what's the point if the Internet is fucking dead?

I want to spend this killing clickbait. I have an overall concept, and I did all the apple LOGOS stuff as a kid, workbench on an a500 was my desktop when the other kids has SNES etc. I have it in me to do this, just will have to hire out the actual coding.

Here's my concept:

A browser plugin that populates from user contributions. A sort of Waze for clickbait, and sort of like automatic album art / subtitle plugins in Kodi.

When you mouse over the clickbait, it displays a summary of the actual content, a link to the original stuff (faggots have a new scheme where they steal high ranked posts with images off of le reddit, with arcane linking for "credit") or whatever is necessary. Not even a single click or impression to the fuckfaces who are behind the clickbait, and that instant gratification "I want to know what the top five mistakes people make when being OP are" is sated.

I'm pretty sure it could become popular with the slightly tech savvy normies, who will then educate their friends. Clickbait advertising has thin margins, if we chip away enough we can kill it.
>>
Hulk Hogan is already doing critical damage to click bait journalism

Adblock even more so. The best you can do is install Adblock on every browser you can get a hold of.
>>
That's cool but I still want to do this.

I'm getting approx $2000 USD.

That should be enough to get this made, open sourced, etc. I'd prefer a way to do it without a central server so it's harder to take down but the risks of a p2p app are equally bad.

also a way to set it up in a hardware firewall (I made one out of a 486 once lol) that does the HTML modification on the fly would be pretty sweet.
>>
You'd do better to spend the money to start a trend of non-bullshit web pages.

Lead by example.

Nothing will get rid of clickbait. The best thing to do would be to provide a viable alternative.
>>
>>53846628
can't do that over https, i'm afraid
>>
>>53846628
This was already done in my country. The plugin allows to change the headline (the original headline is still shown below in a smaller font, crossed out). People can vote on headlines, the most popular is shown to everyone by default, you have to click to see other suggestions, add one, or vote.

This was an immediate hit, Facebook was buzzing with posts about the plugin. And the results were kinda hilarious, mostly in a good way.

However, it was programmed by one young student, so when publishers threatened him with legal action (absolute bullshit), he caved. So now the plugin works only in one website, because its owner offered to cooperate with the creator of this plugin in order to get some good publicity.

In short: this IS a worthwhile idea. Go for it.
>>
ublock Origin is the solution to clickbait.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.