[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fpg/ functional programming general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: functional programming vs.png (2 MB, 1000x3000) Image search: [Google]
functional programming vs.png
2 MB, 1000x3000
abandon #lambdaconf for racism edition

>>53819299

Resources:

- https://storify.com/realtalktech
- https://twitter.com/realtalkintech

Latest articles:

- https://storify.com/realtalktech/taking-down-haskell
- https://storify.com/realtalktech/haskell-has-no-benefits-is-good-for-nothing
- https://storify.com/realtalktech/why-functional-programming-sucks

IRC: #/g/fpg on Rizon
>>
File: CPP functional 2.png (12 KB, 454x286) Image search: [Google]
CPP functional 2.png
12 KB, 454x286
>>
Are erlangers welcome here?
>>
>>53841521
isn't cpp auto a scam?
>>
Why are so many people afraid of typeclass coherence and monad transformers? Please stop trying to ruin Haskell.
>>
>>53841611
? no
why would it be?
>>
>>53841569
It has always surprised me that Erlang gets categorized as a functional language. Static typing? No. Mutable state? Yes.
>>
File: great job!.png (776 KB, 390x406) Image search: [Google]
great job!.png
776 KB, 390x406
>>53841521
>for (unsigned int i = 1; i <= 100; i++)
>functional
>>
>>53841487
can't figure out if this is anti-functional programming or for
>>
>>53841803
Haskell fag detected
You aren't the only functional programming language
>>
>>53841615
explain, im a newbie
>>53841824
maybe its because haskell is my only lang
>>
>>53841803
Every OO language:

>hey we're functional too! we have lambdas and/or closures! you can use map and filter on collections now! that's what functional programming is, right? you don't need anything else, all the other PLT research is academic nonsense (yes, we know we said the same about the other bits we've adopted, but ignore that) pls stop moving away from us
>>
>>53841824
C++, C#, Java, etc. are not and will never be functional languages.

You can put lipstick on a pig, etc.
>>
post you're projects
imma post mine in a sec
>>
>>53841845
C++ isn't an OO language and I guess you're right, currying and function composition have nothing to do with functional languages
>>
>>53841904
define functional programming
>>
>>53841928
a style of programming involving heavy manipulation of functions such as combinatrics

everything else commonly associated is not functional
>>
>>53841487
why the fuck is the most important thread on /g/ not replied to enough?
>>
>>53841657

Yes and no. I always write dialyzer-safe code.

muhtypes.erl

-module(muhtypes).
-export([muhtypes/1, start/0]).

-spec muhtypes(pos_integer()) -> pos_integer().
muhtypes(Input) ->
Input + 5.

start() ->
muhtypes("Test").muhtypes.erl:9: The call muhtypes:muhtypes([84 | 101 | 115 | 116,...]) will never return since the success typing is (number()) -> number() and the contract is (pos_integer()) -> pos_integer()
done in 0m0.53s
done (warnings were emitted)
>>
>>53841952
how can you say currying is not functional when it involves manipulation of functions?
>>
>>53841995
are you retarded
>>
>>53842008
yes,, but you have to realize, currying and function composition are necessary
>>
>>53842043
currying and function composition are functional
I was being sarcastic in >>53841904 because I used currying and composition in >>53841521

but I guess I used a for loop so it's not functional at all
not like other functional languages have for loops
>>
Are Lisps welcome in this thread? I like Lisp.
>>
>>53842053
sorry senpai, I only noticed the loop, and immediately attacked u for it
>>
>>53842068
i take it you've only ever programmed in haskell
>>
>>53842063
I think so.
I heard common lisp should be learned.
anyways, why aren't functional langs more used in the market
haskell's ruined imperative programming for me,
I can't take C seriously
>>
>>53842081
yup
is that a bad thing?
>>
>>53842088
I still quite like C. It's relatively simple.

It's the OO stuff that I can't take seriously any more. All its pretensions and 'design patterns' and bloat is all made irrelevant when one uses a FP language. It's an industry built on snake oil.
>>
>>53842106
I agree, good thing I left python before getting deep into OOP
anywyas, too bad funtional langs arent used as much in the industry
>>
File: fSSh7df.png (80 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
fSSh7df.png
80 KB, 500x421
>tfw learned haskell before python
>tfw can't resist abusing map on lists all over the fucking place
>tfw other people who read my code complain that it's ugly and they want for loops
>>
>C is hard
Ahah, oh WOW ! Fucking functional baboon when will they learn, fucking monadlets.
>>
Explain to me like I am 5, what is a monad?
>>
>>53842177
what kind of job did you get with python?
how advanced are you
pls tell me, I need ajob
>>53842182
C is hard because I haven't learned it yet
haskell just seems easier because I understand it, duh
>>
File: laughing.jpg (15 KB, 200x178) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
15 KB, 200x178
>>53842088
>Macro Assembler is too complicated I need my baby functional sugar to code because i'm retarded
>>
>>53842201
A typeclass and some laws.
>>
Enjoy never using your meme languages for anything other than useless hobby projects.

>our paradigm is the most superior one the industry isn't adopting it only because everyone is too stupid to understand it not because it runs into a shit ton of problems outside of an academic setting
>>
>>53842177
Other people are morons. I hate Python, Ruby and all the other shit languages that became the future.

And their adherents have such fragile egos. They don't want to hear that their 'skills' are worthless.
>>
>>53842177
Ahaha, I do the same, I've actually had a co-worker say 'what the fuck is this?' in regards to my code.
I figured it was because my first real language was Lisp and it hard-wired my brain to think in terms of list operations. I'll have to learn Haskell now.
>>
>>53842220
>everyone is too stupid to understand it
This is true though. 'Senior' devs whine and bitch about moving to Scala from Java, let alone to something like Haskell.
>>
>>53842206
just simple webdev stuff
>>
>>53842201
a monad is a thing that supports state keeping and sequencing of actions
>>53842212
like i said, i haven't tried to learn it because dpt autsts paint it as hard
>>53842220
describe a problem, cuck
>>
>>53842236
But people without degrees or formal CS education are just as good at programming, right? /s
>>
>>53842220
>Enjoy never using your meme languages for anything other than useless hobby projects.
>using

Man you don't USE functional languages, you talk about them all day. They can't even code a basic text editor, a roguelike or an IRC bot without thinking about suicide.
>>
>>53842099
yes, it means you don't know how to program
>>
>>53842273
explain
you asked if "I programmed in haskell" and now say that means I don't know how to program?
>>
>>53842284
triggered
>>
>>53842284
>I don't understand it, therefore it isn't programming
I feel bad for kids taking CS at most colleges. They don't teach any functional languages at most of them.
>>
Functional programmim is just syntactic sugar that got out of hand.

It all boils down to your hated loops down in assembly boys.
>>
>>53842229
>Other people are morons. I hate Python, Ruby and all the other shit languages that became the future.

tr: I hate productive people, I just want to sit in the lotus position while chewing some poppy gum and meditating on the beauty of Hindley–Milner type system. In the future I will show them, I will be the productive one using my lambda-meme skills, but for now I will just call them sheep of babylon on the internet and listen to modadic-reagg
>>
What's the best resource for learning Haskell at the moment?
>>
>>53842318
go back to asking how to average two ints in C in /dpt/
>>53842332
learn you a haskell
>>
>>53842318
>Python
>Productive
>>
>>53842318
I have time to post on /g/ because I don't have to repeat myself in Haskell anywhere near as much as I would in Python, Ruby, Java, etc.
>>
>>53842337
Thanks, I'll start now.
>>
File: kippa_remover.jpg (53 KB, 486x620) Image search: [Google]
kippa_remover.jpg
53 KB, 486x620
>>53842351
>>
>>53842351
>because I don't have to repeat myself in Haskell

Who would want to reuse what they can't read?

There are no design patterns or idiomatics in Haskell. Its just this mess of ticker tape parts, opaqueness and trying to impress oneself that they actually were able to *accomplish* a simple task.

Building a ship in a bottle.

And if you build a ship in a bottle - is it easy for others to upkeep it? No!

The easiest way to think about programming is when you ARE verbose. You must allow global destructive updates to get things done.

Sure, if were to omit what Haskell limits - you have less bugs - because you actually got less done. You went through excruciating pain to score a pyrrhic victory so you wouldn't have to swallow your pride.

And after 25 years of Haskell - its hilarious to see that golang has had more useful things programmed in it in 5 years.

So sir, while I actually ship things in languages with these "gimped" type systems, when will you look in the mirror and find your language gimped? You hide behind these symbols in the same way intersectional feminists hide behind status to deny detractors.

Its not the job of society to go encourage homeless schizophrenics they're wrong by trying to understand their word salad and idioglossia. The burden of proof is on yourselves.
>>
>>53842177
they are idiots
I use maps, filters, etc, every time for my python scripts
>>
>>53842177
haha, learning Scheme ruined my javascript coding style
>map on lists
along with reduce, anon functions, ...?... : ... conditionals
>>
>>53841657
It's only categorized as a functional language because of its Prolog-like syntax.
>>
>>53841845
>we have lambdas and/or closures!
So do Simula and Smalltalk. Java's inner classes are closures too, but freestanding functions and lambdas were intentionally left out because they were superfluous.
>>
>>53842317
That's the point mommy
>>
>>53842332
Once you've learnt you a Haskell check out the advent calendar posts that have run each year since 2012. They go into more intermediate concepts. Also if you're having trouble with any part of LYAH check out the equivalent explanation in Real World Haskell; sometimes it helps to get two different perspectives.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.