[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't believe I only just discovered that not all usb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (5 KB, 554x266) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5 KB, 554x266
I can't believe I only just discovered that not all usb cords are created equal. A shitty $1 cord from china may only carry 0.5amps, while a quality 28/24awg cable will carry over 2amps. Learned this when my raspberry pi wasn't getting enough power.

I can't be the only one, so I thought I'd educate.
>>
>>53841058
Well not going to pay more than 1$ for a cable anyway, unless it's DELL DisplayPort - that's the only worth cable investment
>>
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/11/google-engineer-leaves-scathing-reviews-of-dodgy-usb-type-c-cables-on-amazon/
>>
Just make sure you buy one from a reputable brand. I've bought a 10 feet chink usb a few years ago, shit would charge my ip4s in 6 hours.
>>
>>53843270
>implying the brand has anything to do with it
typical applefag thought process
just look at the size of the conductors. no amount of brand magic will make the same size conductor charge faster.
>>
>>53841073
Thanks Rajeesh, you have earned 1 rupee.
>>
>>53841058

what?

a cable (assuming it's ~zero ohms) will carry whatever you put through it, assuming it doesn't melt
>>
>>53843369
>>>53841058 (OP)
>what?
>a cable (assuming it's ~zero ohms) will carry whatever you put through it, assuming it doesn't melt

what? for you

Cables are def. zero ohms.

Also what's voltage drop
>>
>>53843400
>>>53843369
>>>>53841058 (OP)
>>what?
>>a cable (assuming it's ~zero ohms) will carry whatever you put through it, assuming it doesn't melt
>what? for you
>Cables are def. zero ohms.
>Also what's voltage drop
*def. not
>>
>>53841058
I tested a dozen of microUSB cables I got from different sources and they produced anywhere between 1.2 and 0.4 A when charging my phone.
The best were 30cm long cables bundled with a Sony general-purpose charger and, surprisingly, a Bluetooth headset, 1.5m cables bundled with Samsung and Sony phone chargers produced around 0.9 A, and all but one Chinese cables were below 0.6 A.
>>
>>53841058
It's not only about the cable, it's the power supply that matters.
>>
File: 4chan_servers.jpg (745 KB, 1216x1632) Image search: [Google]
4chan_servers.jpg
745 KB, 1216x1632
I didn't know this, thanks /g/
Here have this.
>>
>>53843369
>a cable (assuming it's ~zero ohms)

That's a very bold assumption. A normal (non Chinese) 28AWG cable at 5 feet is 0.32 ohms per wire, which is quite significant if you're trying to pull single amperes from a low-voltage power source.
>>
>>53841082

I hope one day I'm important enough to have my amazon reviews be news. also,

> arsetechnica

>>53841058
>>53843545

For a raspberry pi, you could have just cut and respliced the wire to make it as short as possible
>>
>>53843326
Are you retarded? Buying a usb cable from PajeetCables is alwats a bad idea even if the conductors are similar a good brand will use better quality components and solder it properly, PajeetCables will start to come loose after 3 dats.
>>
>>53841058
This has nothing to do with the cable, and everything to do with the transformer
>>
>>53841058
>>53841082
The same fragmentation is present (to a lesser, still annoying, degree) in USB Type-C too. Not every USB Type-C charger/cable needs to support Power Delivery, but some devices can be outside the reach of USB Type-C's wattage and require PD. You shouldn't have to fucking look up wattages before buying USB cables today.

Especially annoying if you have an XPS ultrabook which requires PD and there are exactly two chargers which support PD: Google (expensive), and Innergie (only available in the US).
>>
File: 1446935014370.jpg (43 KB, 340x319) Image search: [Google]
1446935014370.jpg
43 KB, 340x319
Can somebody explain to me why some devices (my audio interface and my macro keypad to mention some) don't function correctly if they're connected to a usb hub like the one in my monitors? They only work correctly if they're connected to the usb-ports from the motherboard.
>>
>>53846962
something to do with usb polling probably
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.