[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mpv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: mpv.png (172 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
mpv.png
172 KB, 400x400
Hey guys, I have a question about mpv

When using mpv on Windows (no bully pls) and choosing hardware decoding, what is the difference between
Using hardware decoding (dxva2-copy).
VO: [opengl-hq] 1280x720 nv12

and
Using hardware decoding (dxva2).
VO: [opengl-hq] 1280x720 dxva2_vld

Is either of these backends significantly better than the other, or are they about the same?
>>
pls respond
>>
File: pepetrump-600x600-2.png (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
pepetrump-600x600-2.png
52 KB, 600x600
>>53835385
There is no difference
>>
You could have just opened the manual and searched for it.

Most video filters will not work with hardware decoding as they are primarily implemented on the CPU.
Some exceptions are vdpaupp, vdpaurb and vavpp. See VIDEO FILTERS for more details.

The vaapi-copy and dxva2-copy modes allow you to use hardware decoding with any VO, backend or filter.
Because these copy the decoded video back to system RAM, they're likely less efficient than the vaapi
or dxva2 modes respectivley.
>>
>>53836140
That makes sense, thanks

I'll read the manual in a little bit, but just to clarify, are you saying that dxva2 will play video more CPU-efficiently than dxva2-copy?
>>
>>53836241
If you need to use a VO or filter that is incompatible with dxva2, then use dxva2-copy, and if you don't then just use dxva2.

>dxva2 will play video more efficiently than dxva2-copy?

Yes.
>>
i dled mpv to open my webM

how do i configure it so it's always silent and also auto-repeats by default.. and also open a new instance every time i open a webM.. on windows
>>
>>53836297
Alright, thank you for the help.

I just have one more question that isn't covered in depth in the manual:

The manual says that in order to use dxva2, I must set the vo backend to either "angle" or "dxinterop". The manual then says that "dxinterop" is experimental, but it doesn't say much about which one is more efficient. Here is the relevant manual section:

>angle
>Direct3D11 through the OpenGL ES translation layer ANGLE. This supports almost everything the win backend does, except ICC profiles, and the nnedi3 prescaler.

>dxinterop (experimental)
>Win32, using WGL for rendering and Direct3D 9Ex for presentation. Works on Nvidia and AMD. Newer Intel chips with the latest drivers may also work.

Which one do you think would be better to use overall? A previous mpv general thread had dxinterop listed in the recommended configurations, but I just want to be sure about the better one.
>>
>>53836402
You shouldn't even use DXVA2 or any GPU decoding.
>>
I just installed this on linux and I for some reason I can't find the .config file or the .mpv folder, anyone know where could it be? Or i need to create them?
>>
>>53837594
https://mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
>>53836402
use dxinterop
>>
>>53837594
You need to create ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf
>>
>>53837698
>>53837645
thanks
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.