[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1459366256819.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1459366256819.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Was he right?
>>
the question of what is and isn't science is fundamentally a personal one. he doesn't think CS is science.
>>
Too often at too many universities, computer science gets equated with software development.
>>
>>53834968
No.

Is math science?
>>
>He crosses out science
That's like, your opinion man
>He crosses out computer
Uh, why?
>>
>>53835758
It's not really about computers, in the same sense that physics is not really about particle accelerators, biology is not really about microscopes and petri dishes.
>>
>>53835854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY
>>
>>53835758
Because a lot of computer science is actually abstract work independent of computers which has been developing way before computers came about. Computers are useful tools to implement the work at very high speeds though. I think his primary point is that CS isn't for you if you just like building computers and casual programming.
>>
>>53835854
"Computer" is anything that performs computation.
>>
>>53834968
"Computer Science" courses as taught in universities can be broken down into two categories:

1. Software development: things like OS, Networks, Databases, Distributed Systems, Software Engineering 101, Intro To Fizzbuzz etc.

2. Theory: Automata, algorithms, complexity, AI, ML, etc.

The former is as much of a science as Engineering. The latter is as much of a science as Mathematics.

And to each their own, personally I think Mathematics is a science, because even though it's a completely abstract construction ("it only exists in our minds"), it can be considered a non-physical property of the universe because our minds are a part of the universe.
>>
>>53835922

I agree with this.

"Computering" isn't exclusive to what we think of as computers.
>>
>>53836002
Some schools call computer science "computing science" and I think that's more accurate. Computer science isn't about computers but it is indeed about "computing".
>>
>>53835976
is grammar a science because you need to work on your comma splices
>>
>>53835966
Well computer science isn't merely about performing computation. Computer science is about designing computations. Computer science is not about computers but "the art of computation".
>>
heh
>>
File: m9g7L.gif (332 KB, 318x240) Image search: [Google]
m9g7L.gif
332 KB, 318x240
>>53835976
>>
>>53835976
computer engineering?
>>
>>53835871
Everyone in that class looks so fucking stupid.
>>
yes he is right, obviously

not that it matters
>>
>>53837955
It's the 80s. Your mom looked so fucking stupid. Just saying
>>
>>53834968
What does people define as science? Because CS is just as much science as physics is.

Also CS has plenty to do with computers, a lot of CS is built on actually applying math to problems that can be solved with computers. You'd formulate your algorithms a lot differently if you weren't going to assume that a computational device will be used to implement it.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.