[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is buying a license to all jetbrains products worth it? i work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: jetbrains_250x250.png (16 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
jetbrains_250x250.png
16 KB, 250x250
is buying a license to all jetbrains products worth it?

i work daily with python, javascript, java, db's and maybe ios/osx in the future.

it's 250$ for a year, and after a year it's just bug fixes and security updates.

it's a lot, but it's also my job. what do you think?

inb4
>buying software
>>
>>53829667
one of my coworkers uses phpstorm to great effect. I prefer Atom or Sublime Text 3 in vim mode more. Honestly, whichever tool you can learn and be productive with is the best, whether that's vim or a more fleshed out IDE like PHPStorm. Take the trial and then decide if you'll use all of the features.
>>
>>53829667
honestly their software is great.

if you're a student you get to use their software for free
>>
>is paying money for an IDE worth it
Buy it, the people scamming you deserve your money more than you.
>>
also wondering if anyone knows the legal status of using a student license at the workplace.

i'm a student so i'm eligible to a free "student license", but i also want to use it at my workplace as well (i also work full time as an engineer). i know that their regular "individual license" which i'm currently considering can be used at work (they say so in the FAQ), but i'm not sure about the student one. can't find any clarification on that.

if it's against their terms i can probably get fired for using it at work.
>>
I'd suggest simply using Atom / Sublime Text plus a command line. I've never understood or liked IDE's really, and the only one I've enjoyed in the past is Visual Studio.
>>
>>53829764
Kek
>>
>>53829701

i've used sublime in the past and i've been using atom since it came out (except for java, where i use eclipse). it's a nice editor, but it's very slow, and constantly having to find and manage its packages is time consuming. i want something that jest wekrs out of the box.
>>
>>53829667
If you make money with it, then yes. Also, depends how much money you make. If you are just a poor student doing side projects and get small payments, then hell no.
>>
>>53829775
my common sense tells me you are not allowed to use it.
>>
>>53829775
If it's not mentioned in the license, it's allowed.
>>
>Subscription based software
Go fuckin kill yourself

You know what, just doing it you fuckin faggot
>>
>>53829947
>not having a job
anon, your jealously is showing.
>>
>>53829667
Try the community edition for python - the other ides are basicly the same. python community is free
>>
>>53830289
You're a fuckin retard. Do you even know why some software are switching over to subscriptions? Because the software is saturated, there are no features to be add that would make a complete new version worth to upgrade. So they switch over to subscription to still leech from you.

Go ahead you fuckin retard, go get your sub.
>>
>>53830461

The things you mentioned really don't matter to me... I don't pay for it.
>>
>>53829947
as far as I know, when you get the license and cancel the subscription you can "keep" the version you bought, you won't get any more updates after that

there was some controversy over that when they switched over this year

>>53830461
also "named users" bullshit, mostly found in enterprise software, seems to be a recent trend
>>
PyCharm and PHPStorm are really great. Their student deal is awesome too.
>>
>>53830793
no they stopped that. You stop paying, it stops working. I am not upgrading until I have to. Told the fuckers to die in a fire. The software is good, but for those of us who are hobby programmers it is the big middle finger
>>
>>53829667
I have been using PyCharm and IDEA for 2 years now.

IMO they are the best IDE in their category.

My only complain with IDEA Professional is that i had a bad experience with Java EE, MVC type implementations and persistence.

As for Web Development(HTML/CSS/JS),Web and PHPStorm are overkill, any good text editor with a good trusty linter will do
>>
>>53831813

that's not true. you get something called "perceptual license" if you subscribe yearly or monthly after 12 months. it means that even when you stop paying, the product will still work and you will still get updates for bug fixes and such. you will not get new features, though.
>>
>>53831879
no, it really won't
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10165334
>>
File: 1306875324080.jpg (34 KB, 447x453) Image search: [Google]
1306875324080.jpg
34 KB, 447x453
webstorm is the best js/html editor

>mfw using atom on windows
>>
>>53831878
My only complain as regards WebStorm and JetBrains’ other IDEs is that they are using keyboard shortcuts that are already used by my keyboard layout for some useful characters, like { and such, so I have to make myself new keyboard shortcuts that won’t have any conflict with my layout. (I’m using the bépo layout)
>>
>>53831939

if i'm not mistaken they changed their mind about this after all the backlash

>HN
>>
>>53829667
Their IDEs slow like all IDEs are but compared to other IDEs their IDEs are great.
I use their C++ which I can't remember the name of.
>>
>>53831984
or you are stilling for no reason. Seriously, post a link or stop guessing at this shit.
>>
>>53832416
https://sales.jetbrains.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207240845-What-is-perpetual-fallback-license-
>>
File: lol765432.png (325 KB, 1921x1080) Image search: [Google]
lol765432.png
325 KB, 1921x1080
>>53829738

I have a student version. It's great software.
>>
File: wot.jpg (17 KB, 525x295) Image search: [Google]
wot.jpg
17 KB, 525x295
>>53831766
as a webbed student in college. they gave me phpstorm to use. and found that most classmates really never used any of the debugging or other features that come with IDE's. so for a job. yeah go for it. but as a student just stick with atom/sublime/vim
>>
>>53832416

stop being so buttmad, i read that shit today
>>
http://idea.lanyus.com/
>>
>>53832022
It’s Clion
>>
>>53833082
>>/csg/
>>
>>53829924
Just because you're on /g/ doesn't mean you need to act a retard.
>>
>>53829667
There whole suite is pretty much perfect. It is all the rage to with my peers. I'm not a huge fan. For what you've listed you probably could get away with just Intellij and install plugins.

As for the iOS and OS X. Xcode is just awful. If Jetbrains provides tools, 100% they are better. I'm hoping this Xamarin thing with Microsoft goes real well because it sounds pretty sweet.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.