[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1459040647877.png (53 KB, 188x168) Image search: [Google]
1459040647877.png
53 KB, 188x168
Previous: >>53813022

Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
I have done your mother.
- RMS
>>
Running a brand new arch install, can't get sound working.

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

is what lspci spits out.

Any ideas?
>>
I've been trying to install fedora 23 and a LTS ubuntu on my hard drive with a usb key, but the installer would never see the hard drive. I've searched for that problem for hours and hours, doing all the things said from the internet, but to no avail !
Could there be a solution to this ?
>>
>>53826170
install alsa
>>
>>53826183
wiki tells me I shouldn't need to, that udev will pick it up. But I've already installed alsa-utils and it didn't help.
>>
i've recycled an hp with an athlon 64 3200+, 1 gb of ram /w xp, installed lubuntu and now it run like a charm.
i was wondering if i can find an actual use for it, or even if there is something i can do with it just to waste some time
>>
>>53826170
I assume the wiki has a page on getting audio working that you've read. Reread that carefully, because you probably just missed something along the lines of putting your user in the audio group.
>>
Can gentoo get binaries from portage? I'd like to install gentoo to a Thinkpad T42 but I would think compile times for large applications would take forever.
>>
>>53826284
derp, audio group it is.
>>
>>53826246
Play the roguelike video game NetHack.
>>
>>53826170
pacman -S pavucontrol
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noRK9Ixvx44
>>
>>53826313
Gentoo understands this, and so very large programs (glibc, firefox, etc) are binaries while most come as source code. With 2gib of ram on a dual core (amd64) I compiled Gentoo (with xorg and xfce4) in ~7 hours.
>>
>>53826170
You just have to unmute it. install alsa-utils and type "alsamixer" into a terminal and then press M, it should unmute it and you can change the volume in there. Don't wo rry, your hardware is working fine.
>>
>>53826218
maybe you have more than one audio card, check for that with aplay -l and make one default out of few. Also check if your sound is muted.
>>
>>53826590
>>53826424
>>53826612

The other dude was right, my user wasn't in the audio group.

>>53826284
>>
>>53826284
>>53826341

I didn't have to do that and sound worked. According to the Wiki, you shouldn't do that, since systemd made it obsolete.

>Direct access to sound hardware, for all sessions (requirement is imposed by both ALSA and OSS). Local sessions already have the ability to play sound and access mixer controls.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups#Deprecated_or_unused_groups

This >>53826590 is the recommended and easy step everyone misses.
>>
>>53826629

Chances are you fucked something up if that was the cause. See the Wiki page >>53826638.
>>
>>53826638
When I tried to run alsamixer before adding my user, it would say file not found. I added my user to audio and alsamixer worked perfectly. It wasn't a local session, which jives with what your greentext said.
>>
>>53826638
it's also worth noting that your link doesn't list audio under deprecated or unused groups. It's in a separate heading for groups that predate systemd, but doesn't itself fall under deprecated or unused.
>>
Hello
Can someone recommend me a good terminal emulator ?
gnome-terminal won't launch
terminology crash with a segfault.

I'm running archlinux
>>
>>53826797
urxvt
st
xfce4-terminal
>>
>>53826812
>xfce4-terminal emulates the xterm application developed by the X Consortium.

Does that mean it's just a fork of Xterm?
>>
>>53826769

7.4 Deprecated or unused groups
7.4.1 Pre-systemd groups

>>53826739

>It wasn't a local session, which jives with what your greentext said.

How did you manage to SSH into it so early into the installation? With "manage" I mean, for what reason?
>>
>>53826823
xterm is underrated.
>>
Don't lie guys - it's the internet, there's no point

How many of you still have a small windows partition to do certain things you can't or are awkward to do in Linux?

I do, for just a few games basically
>>
>>53826823

No.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#VTE-based
>>
>>53826849
I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just curious. Is it literally xterm with a different name so it can work with the XFCE services?
>>
>>53826823
mupen64 emulates the nintendo 64 console developed my nintendo

does that mean mupen64 is a fork of nintendo 64?

POSIX does not specify a standard unix terminal emulator since posix was never about desktop use.

Xterm is ancient, very featureful terminal emulator.
It has become an unspoken standard, and some shitty applications straight up refuse to work correctly with different terminal emulators.
>>
>>53826862
a separate drive with winxp SP3 + posready2009 patches.
>>
>>53826862
Had one for gaming until January. Didn't bother reinstating it when I got a new SSD because I had booted into Windows fewer than ten times since last spring.
>>
>>53826862
I don't play games. And if things are awkward that just means you haven't learned how to into linux properly
>>
File: INSTALL_GENTOO.png (36 KB, 268x237) Image search: [Google]
INSTALL_GENTOO.png
36 KB, 268x237
>>53826170
install gentoo
>>
>>53826862

I never understood the point of dual-booting and I think that anyone who does it is a pretentious idiot or has hardware capable to switch operating systems in 0,5 seconds.

I do have Windows installed on my desktop which I use for guitar playing (amp simulation) and a single videogame. Everything else annoys me about it. Like the fact that I have to use foobar and a shitty http plugin to control the music while on my laptop, since there's no mpd for Windows.
>>
>>53826842
>how did you SSH so early into the installation?
I don't know how you got the idea I was in the installation period, but you can pacman -S openssh at basically any point after (or even during if you want) pacman -S base base-devel.

by "brand new" i meant within the last 24 hours, it only takes like 10 minutes to install arch aside from the downloading. I still don't have xorg or a DE installed on the system in question yet, may not bother.
>>
>>53826933
>.dll
>[triggering internally]
>>
>>53826862
Nope. I have 50 games in steam that work on Linux. The only thing I might want is street fighter V. But I'm bad at fighting games anyway, so emulating SSF2 for snes is good enough for me.
>>
>>53826938
Well...the point of dual-booting is precisely having a main OS you do most things in and a secondary OS for very specific tasks, like games that aren't Linux compatible for instance

No SSD that I know of will boot you into the other OS in 0.5 seconds, but I'm pretty comfy in just switching in 20 seconds

>>53826962
Yeah, most of the games I have installed now are Linux compatible thankfully, but there are still a couple that are never going to get ported, and I don't want to give up on those just because
>>
>>53826952

Because installing alsa-utils and unmuting it with alsamixer is typically done at the very beginning.

>but you can pacman -S openssh at basically any point after
Yes, but why would someone do that if they're literally sitting right there next to your computer, locally. That's what sounded weird to me.
>>
>>53826938
https://www.musicpd.org/download/win32/
>>
Is it usually suggested to do a clean install between Ubuntu Mate LTS versions or an upgrade would be fine? Also what could go wrong ?
>>
>>53826975

20 seconds is ridiculous in my opinion. How can someone justify waiting 20 seconds (which I think is probably longer) between browsing the internet (Firefox on Linux) and editing an image (Photoshop on Windows in this case). Then you go back to Linux to listen to some music, browse the internet, maybe read a few documents. Then you go back to Windows to do one tiny thing you use it for and on and on. At that point it's crazy not to stick to just one which gets the majority done.
I doubt that anyone even does that. I'm willing to bet that half of the people which have two operating systems installed, boot into Linux once every fortnight to type "ls -a" into their terminal.
>>
>>53827025
Well, I can't speak for everyone else that dual boots - but I can tell you this is what I do

>all my browsing and work on linux
>all my coding on linux
>all my music and miscellaneous entertainment activites on linux
>most of my games on linux (compatible)

Oh hey I wanna play Dark Souls for a while
>wait 20 seconds
>boot up Dark Souls
>oh hey I wanna play Rainbow Six Siege
>play Siege
>alright let's get back to work
>20 seconds
>back to literally everything else except a few steam games

I guess everyone has their tolerance threshold. Mine is fine with this setup I have, but that's just me
>>
>>53827017
Back up and fresh install is suggested. Or you could back up, update, and see if you're okay with the results or not, and i fyou aren't, just reinstall. What can happen is some packages could break and stop working properly. if you wan tyou could back up now and then dist upgrade to xenial, it's running great for me right now.
>>
>>53826985
>Yes, but why would someone do that if they're literally sitting right there next to your computer

It's a second computer, the only display I have free to hook up to it is my 42" which isn't very comfortable with kb/m. Since everything I need to do with it is console it's just easier to SSH in ASAP. Just, absolutely, loads more comfortable.
>>
>>53826988

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that the last time I searched for it.
>>
>>53826938
>and I think that anyone who does it is a pretentious idiot
Strong words, Anon. How so?

>or has hardware capable to switch operating systems in 0,5 seconds.
I take it you're not the most patient of sorts. That's fair.

I never found the process of switching OS to be that bad, personally. Hibernate → boot Windows → do Windows things → reboot. Granted, I don't think I'd tolerate it if I couldn't get my Linux session back in the state I left it, but hibernation is an angel.
>>
>>53826014
just recently installed Fedora 23 and so far really enjoying all this, was just wondering a few things:

1. how do i begin ricing? i checked out the wiki but the theme i wanted (Caledonia) is nowhere to be found and i dunno how to install if i did find it

2. recommended music/video player? again, i checked the wiki but wanted to know what you guys thought, i downloaded codecs already (was thinking of just using clementine)

3. anyway to view my windows files on my windows hdd? basically i have a 1TB HDD with win7 and all my music/movies/documents etc and another HDD with basically Fedora installed and nothing else. what's the best way of transferring files from win7 to my linux drive? (I have 2 16GB flashdrives but was hoping a software solution existed)

thank you all!
>>
>>53827137
You can install any theme by making a folder called .themes and then moving the theme there. Ricing is all about colorschemes, read up on color theory.

I use cmus, it is a terminal music player. Deadbeef is good if you want graphical. Mpv is the best video player on GNU/Linux.

You need to isntall ntfs-3g, this will allow you to mount your windows drive.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>53827189
>You need to isntall ntfs-3g
People often say this but I can't remember ever having had to install it myself; it's always been included in the default install.

I suppose I might have manually installed it years ago, on Arch and minimal Debian installs and whatever I ran. But with Anon running Fedora 23, I can after a quick check on my own system say with quite some confidence that they already have ntfs-3g installed.
>>
>>53827062
Thank you anon, what is a good way to backup a linux system? I never had to
>>
is there a way to remove window borders when maximize in openbox
>>
>>53827316
Just put your personal files onto a usb drive or something. Pictures, videos etc.
>>
>>53827511
>put your files on a usb
>backup
>loonix doesn't even have a backup program
Loonix tards will defend this.
>>
>>53827288
I don't use Fedora, so, I wouldn't know. But arch is a popular distro here and does not include it. Neither does Debian. But Ubuntu and Fedora do, I guess.
>>
>>53827525
I'm sure it does, I just never felt a need to look for one.
>>
>>53827525
There are a LOT of backup solutions. Maybe some people just want to put it elsewhere? Sounds hassle free to me.
>>
>>53827525
Rsync or dd exist
>>
>>53827525
Did you come in this thread to shit post? You can use rsync, FTP and dd with a simple script to copy files to a home sevrt
>>
>>53827575
Also, considering he is installing a new version of Ubuntu, "backing up linux" wouldn't make sense, since he clearly is not planning on going back to his old install. So backing up important files is all that is needed, and USB is the most convenient way to do that.
>>
>>53827525
We have a lot of options.
What kind of backup do you want?
Plain syncing files to another system? Rsync.
Simple file sharing? Owncloud or syncthing.
Advanced version control? Git or svn.
There is a lot of options.
>>
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/singing-stallman/
>>
File: IMG-20160331-WA0042.jpg (115 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160331-WA0042.jpg
115 KB, 720x1280
>>53826938
if your using guitar rig 5, it's quite easy to setup under Ubuntu, all I had to do was install it through playonlinux and do regular setup, oh and make sure to install the asio4all driver before into that prefix or just use a professional soundcard so you don't need the latency reducing driver, also what guitar anon?
>>
File: mountdDrive.png (209 KB, 1585x765) Image search: [Google]
mountdDrive.png
209 KB, 1585x765
>>53827137
>>53827189
>>53827288
>>53827528

hi, just wanted to follow up and say the drive actually mounted just fine with fedora, didnt have to install anything
>>
>>53827618
I wanted this to work but the icon on the top right is now showing up so I can't get it to activate
>>
>>53827780
>that font rendering
>that disgusting orange
>>
>>53827932
xDDDDDDDD what will you do about it anon, complain more to strangers?
>>
>>53827954
He could just not help you and make you fix your problems your self............
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-02_19-45-49.png (10 KB, 442x136) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-02_19-45-49.png
10 KB, 442x136
Not exactly Linux related, but it's privacy related and not really worth it's own thread so I figured I'd post it here.

Which servers do you guys use on Startpage? Asian or EU?
>>
>>53828023
>not using searx
>>
>>53828039
In what way is searx better? I've never tried it because I've never really heard much about it.
>>
>>53826464
It only understands it partially, fucking webkit still exists only is source.
>>
>>53828057
searx actually delivers it's source code, startpage, duckduckgo, etc don't. Sure that doesn't mean that the code on the server is the same, but at least they deliver source, which makes the service free software.
>>
Anyone tried getting Rosetta Stone to work under Linux? I head some versions work with WINE.
>>
Any reason for this to be happening after resuming? Sometimes alt+f2 r fixes it, sometimes it doesn't, and I don't really know what to look for.
Running Antergos with Gnome 3.18
>>
>>53828023
If you want to search secure, there's only one way: duckduckgo's hidden Tor service: http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion
>>
Any way to get Silverlight fully running? I tried Moonlight, but it didn't work. Do I have to run my browser with WINE or what?
>>
>>53828145
>Antergos
Found your problem.
>>
>>53828177
install gentoo
>>
>>53828084
Interesting. I'll do a bit of reading on it.

Actually, I've been a bit uncomfortable with startpage lately. I'm from the UK, and whether I set startpage to use Asian servers or EU server, I get results which are clearly tailored to a UK IP address. For instance, if I search for something like "running shoes" I get links to UK-based online stores.

>>53828151
I've seen concerns raised over just how private DuckDuckGo really is, and I'm sceptical about Tor too since the NSA probably own most of the exit nodes.
>>
>>53828177
install mpv and youtube-dl, then `mpv <url>`.
>>
>>53828210
>being a useless, non-helpful cancer faggot
found your problem
>>
>>53828145
Does it happen with default theme and extensions disabled? I don't reckon extensions could have anything do do with it, but best to cover all bases.

If you experience the same behaviour, then I'm with the other Anon.
>>
>>53828080
>WebKit
Why are you installing Safari on Gentoo?
>>
>>53828264
Lots of things require webkit.
>>
>>53828242
Exit nodes don't see anything when the target is a hidden service, aka an .onion site, since the connection is still inside Tor and therefore still encrypted. Tor is only vunerable through bad exits when you use it to connect to the clearnet.
>>
>>53828264
I'm not sure you understand what WebKit is anon.
>>
>>53828244
Does that work on netflix?
>>
>>53828274
Then lots of things are outdated af. Blink is the new WebKit.
>>
>>53828297
I have no clue, I don't use Netflix. You can try, though. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made it work.
>>
>>53828217
thanks !!!
>>53828244
I use mpv for everything possible, but it doesn't do the trick for what I need silverlight.
>>
>>53828319
You are a fucking moron.
>>
>>53828330
10/10 quality post.
>>
>>53828177
If Moonlight doesn't work, then WINE or a Windows VM would be your options, yeah.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to access that still requires Silverlight?
>>
>>53828380
Probably some school shit
>>
>>53828380
>>53828420
Skygo... It seemed to work with pipelight and a windows useragent some time ago, but I just can't get it to run.
>>
>>53827462

You could create a custom action for it and bind it to a keyboard.
>>
I want to replace my laptop running Mint with either Gnome or Kubuntu. Is Kubuntu really that bad when it comes to bugs n stuff?
>>
>>53827634

Yep, using Guitar Rig. I don't want to use Wine, it's disgusting. I'd also have to run Reaper (or another DAW) and 2 VSTis plugins. It's just too much of a hassle. For now I don't mind "wasting" my desktop on Windows alone.
It's a budget Ibanez GIO series guitar. Works for my casual playing, but I wouldn't mind if the neck were a little bit wider.
>>
google maps often crash my firefox 45.0 on min mate
I don't use swap file, but crashes occur when I'm nowhere near exhausting ram. Where can I find error logs, in order too diagnose the cause of crashes?
>>
>>53828479

keyboard key*
>>
>>53828546
>firefox
There is your problem
>>
>>53828479

can you hemp me out, what would be the action to remove borders
>>
>>53828624
help*
>>
>>53828542
Ahh I understand, me personally, I have an x201 with win7 around that I used as my go to amp sim when I'm not at home at my desktop, I've got a mexican made fender strat, real beauty, but I havnt been playing her much because I recently picked up an ephiphone les paul to get more into rock stuff, it feels a lot more comfortable to be pulling of rock things and the pickup positions are more comfortable for it compared to the 3 pickups my strat has , I do miss my whammy bar tho, but this fixed bride is great. :) overall I'd say anyone should have both a strat & a les paul if they really wanna cater to both casual & rock styles
>>
File: 1454686705017.jpg (255 KB, 681x999) Image search: [Google]
1454686705017.jpg
255 KB, 681x999
Im finally going to make the switch from Windows to Linux. But first i will run dual boot with Windows 7 and Xubuntu.

What anti virus should i run for xubuntu and the most essential programs?

Thanks
>>
>>53828624

With "remove borders", do you mean the titlebar with the window buttons? If you mean the actual borders around a window, I don't think that's possible on a per window basis, since it's dictate by your Openbox theme.
>>
>>53828708

dictated*

In case it's the titlebar, just install obkey and use the "Undecorate" action. You could also manually edit the XML config, but that's torture.
>>
>>53828679
None.
>>
>>53828707
welcome to the show! No need for an antivirus, just use adblock and common sense. Try to install software exclusively from the repositories through your packet manager.
>>
>>53828708
>I don't think that's possible on a per window basis, since it's dictate by your Openbox theme.
dam, i added colored borders not when windows are maximized there is a blue border at the top

>>53828707
no anti virus needed
>>53828707
>essential programs?
feh for images
urxvt for term
>>53828785
^this too
>>
>>53828707
No need for antivirus on GNU/Linux.
However, you can use ClamAV to scan for Windows malware, but they wount do anything anyway, except you run them in WINE.
>>
>>53828812

How do you move your windows around when there's no titlebar?
>>
>>53828879
alt and left mouse button, alt and right mouse button to resize
>>
>>53828829
>>53828812
>>53828785
>no need for antivirus
I wish this meme would die
>>
>>53828920
show me something i would need an antivirus for in *nix
>>
>>53828900

Nice, but it's a bit awkward on a laptop.
>>
>>53828940
Mac OSX is unix based, and they have ransomware and shit. Altough if I ever got ransomware I would just reinstall and laugh.
>>
I'm looking to build a PC soon. I want to be able to play games and stream things from Linux on that PC.

Is there a list of resources for GPUs with good drivers?
>>
>>53828940
>Linux/Rst-B
>Troj/SrvInjRk-A)
>>
>>53828983
>Two entire things WOW
>>
File: 1454695711490.jpg (71 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1454695711490.jpg
71 KB, 640x640
>>53828785
>>53828812
>>53828829
Thanks.

The last time i used Linux was about 16-17 years ago but earlier today i installed Debian and played around with it. Linux / the distros seems like a really cool OS in general.

Also why im switching from windows to linux part from the obvious spying is because MS will drop its support sooner or later and i will only regret not learning linux beforehand.
>>
>how do i fix x?
>why isn't y working?
>why is z still so buggy?
>>
>>53829051
>The last time i used Linux was about 16-17 years ago
wew lad, what was it like back then
>>
>>53829021

Botnets

Mayhem - 32/64 bit Linux/FreeBSD multifunctional botnet

Rootkits

Snakso-A - 64-bit Linux webserver rootkit[32]
Trojans
Effusion - 32/64-bit injector for Apache/Nginx webservers, [33]
Hand of Thief - Banking trojan, 2013,[34][35]
Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[36]
Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[37]
Waterfall screensaver backdoor - on gnome-look.org[38]
Tsunami.gen — Backdoor.Linux.Tsunami.gen[39]
Turla — HEUR:Backdoor.Linux.Turla.gen[40][41]
Xor DDoS A Trojan malware that hijacks Linux systems and uses them to launch DDoS attacks which have reached loads of 150+ Gbps.[42]

Viruses

42[43][44]
Arches[45]
Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[46]
Binom - Linux/Binom[47]
Bliss - requires root privileges
Brundle[48]
Bukowski[49]
Caveat [50][51]
Coin [52][53]
Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[54]
Hasher [55][56]
Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[57]
Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[58]
Lacrimae (aka Crimea) [59][60]
Linux.Encoder.1[61][62]
MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[63]
Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[64]
OSF.8759
PiLoT[65][66]
Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[67][68]
RELx [69]
Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[70]
RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[71] (known for infecting Korean release of Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 in September 2005[72])
Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[73]
Staog
Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[74]
Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[75]
Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[76]
Wit virus[77]
Zariche - Linux.Zariche.A (and variants)[78]
ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[79]

Worms

Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[80]
Adore[81]
Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[8][82]
Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[83]
Devnull
Kork[84]
Linux/Lion
Linux.Darlloz - Targets home routers, set-top boxes, security cameras and industrial control systems.[85][86]
Linux/Lupper.worm[87]
Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[88]
Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[89]
Ramen worm - targeted only Red Hat Linux distributions versions 6.2 and 7.0
Slapper[90]
SSH Bruteforce[91]
>>
>>53828255
I'm only using dash2dock, but it happens rarely enough that it's an inconvenience trying to hunt it down without extensions.
afaik, this is the default theme. or do you mean switching back to adwaita or whatever it was called?
>>53828210
Literally what's wrong with it? I won't accept "I don't like it" as an answer.
>>
>>53829077
I thought Tux was a game when i saw the CD. Thats all i remember, That and playing around in the terminal just typing shit.
>>
>>53829084
now tell me witch one of these a normal linux user would get infected from and or are relevant in 2016
>>
>>53829084
You've serious brain problems, buddy.
Maybe write a mail to GNU, because rm may remove your home directory.
>>
>>53829143
cool
>>
>>53828983
>>53829084
Linux/Rst-B first appeared in 2002, 14 years ago. Troj/SrvlnjRk-A requires you to run Linux 2.6.32 which is very much outdated.
as for everything else, is it really worth sacrificing 2% of your cpu time to a virus scanner that might or might not catch those? It's not like your distro's repository contains them.
>>
>>53829077
Better
>>
>>53828297
No.
I keep chrome around for that.
You can launch it with the app argument and set the window rules to not show borders or title and it will work as good as a standalone video player (although no global hotkeys)
>>
File: 1438645212583.jpg (184 KB, 533x594) Image search: [Google]
1438645212583.jpg
184 KB, 533x594
>>53829084
Please add my OC virus:

Desc.: Shell/Vir
File: iloveyou.txt.sh:
#!/bin/sh
echo '/flt/ - Mess with the best, die like the rest!!!'
rm -rf ~

Thanks.
>>
>>53829154
That's the whole problem. These are just the know vulnerabilities, that have been discovered in the past, which prove that Loonix does have viruses. Who knows how many there are in the real world that have yet to be discovered?
>>
>>53829250
Seriously. Do you even know what you are talking about? Do you know what a virus is?
>>
I'm trying to find out why my laptop with Arch is freezing up sometimes but I can't find valuable information right now.
It happens when I'm watching a stream on livestreamer and browsing "heavily" at the same time (multiple tabs open). I have 4GB of RAM on this laptop but I'm far from hitting the ceiling. Is my RAM failing? Is my CPU/integrated GPU frying? Is my SSD dying?

I know /g/ isn't /tech support/ but if someone can at least tell me where I can find any info. If it helps, I can easily force a crash.
>>
>>53829207
>as for everything else, is it really worth sacrificing 2% of your cpu time to a virus scanner that might or might not catch those?
No, but lying to yourself and the newbies that Loonix doesn't have viruses doesn't make you better than an apple sheep that does the same
>>
>>53829250
>vulnerabilities
>viruses
those are two entirely different things
>>
>>53829136
>afaik, this is the default theme. or do you mean switching back to adwaita or whatever it was called?
Yes. Sorry I can't be of more help.

>Literally what's wrong with it?
Anon is referring to how Arch and its ilk aren't always the most reliable distributions around. While there is substance below the surface of what Anon says, I do wish they wouldn't do it in such a look-I'm-one-of-the-cool-kids-on-the-Internet kind of way.
>>
>>53829271
>Do you know what a virus is?
Do you?
>>
>>53828707
I think dualboot is a sane solution. Just pay attention when you partition (or do it from windows) and you'll be fine.
As for essentials, it depends on what you want to do.
I would recommend that you install the dolphin file manager. It has a built in terminal (f4) so running a command will seem less scary as you find a situation where you need to.
Other things depend on what kind of work you do. Good luck.
>>
>>53829299
nobody said "Linux doesn't have viruses." What was actually said was "no need for an antivirus program"
there are other ways to avoid malware than running antivirus snakeoil
>>
File: 1458655328892.gif (197 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
1458655328892.gif
197 KB, 500x285
I use a raspberry pi with Raspbian installed as a general server (SFTP, NFS, Apache, Express, mongo, mysql, among others). Now it's getting slow, I am thinking of setting up this old computer I got and make the rpi boot up the computer whenever it is under heavy load. My questions are:

Would this setup qualify as a computer cluster?
What is the best way to go about this, making two Linux computers share processing power?
What articles should I read and what terms should I look up?
>>
>>53829303
>Virus writers use social engineering and exploit detailed knowledge of security vulnerabilities to gain access to their hosts' computing resources.

Honestly guys I feel like you are trolling me.
>>
>>53829320
>theme
I'll try that and see what's up.
>Arch and its ilk aren't always the most reliable distributions
Yeah, tell me about it. Sometimes, albeit rarely, I can't even get x to start, always leaves me scratching my head and fusing with conf. Then I leave it off for the night, power it on the next day and shit works, however illogical that is.
Thanks.
>>
File: 1458916307692.png (46 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
1458916307692.png
46 KB, 602x500
>>53829376
>Honestly guys I feel like you are trolling me.
Isn't it what you came here for in the first place?
>>
>>53829249

DO NOT RUN THIS! It destroyed my life by deleting the only picture I had of my mother on my computer.
>>
>>53829404
>Isn't it what you came here for in the first place?
Pointing out the obvious flaws in your reasoning is trolling? Welp, now I feel sorry for bursting your 'I'm 100% safe form l33t h5kurz' bubble
>>
>>53829327
Viruses don't exist.

A virus is a normal program that does things.
Windows users are scared off some things programs do, because they espect programs to be nice.

The problem with propritary software is, that you can't discover what a program does, if it does something harmful, people call it "virus" while actually it's still a program, doing what the developer told it to do.

On GNU/Linux we don't have to be afraid for harmful programs, because we know what the program does. Except you run cuckware like skype or steam. etc. Then you should just go back to windows anyway.
>>
>>53829443
you appear frustrated because of our little discussion anon.

what's the problem?
thread not friendly enough?
>>
Went from Ubuntu to Mint, it's so fucking better right from the start.
How?
>>
anyone use the urlserver plugin for weechat? I can't open any links from it, when I click them it opens a page in my browser but it says "unable to connect".
>>
>>53829365
That is also completely flawed reasoning. The reason why Windows has so many viruses is it's desktop market share. But in servers it's Linux with iirc around 50% market share, and on supercomputers almost 100%. It makes it a prime target for anyone wishing to make a profit. Especially since some of the most important structures are on Linux.
>>
>>53829499
It's designed for use by people even more retarded than Ubuntu users
>>
>>53829525
Good, I'll save time and do what I want to do instead of going after errors popping up after a clean 15.10 ubuntu install.
>>
>>53829505
>The reason why Windows has so many viruses
I think it's because windows users are known to be tech illiterate and known to click everything.
>>
>>53829499
It's made by bunch of completely incompetent people that are unable to provide basic security for their project and their website.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

Mint is also completely dumbed down security wise - it doesn't ship with AppArmor profile Ubuntu LTS (which Mint is based on) has by default

Not to mention the only reason why Mint is not "Ubuntu Cinnamon Edition" is due to the fact that Mint/Cinnamon devs are unable to keep up with gnome developers and have to ship older gtk libraries in the repo so Cinnamon doesn't shit the bed

Enjoy your """""""better"""""""" distribution
>>
>>53827525
Write once a batch file containing a sequence of file and directory copy commands for exactly what you want to back up.
Then run the batch file each time you want to back up.
>>
>>53829545
Don't listen to trolls, Mint is pretty baller, specially for a "just werks" kind of distro.

I switched from Mint to Debian a few weeks ago and love it even more, but Mint is definitely a solid distro - specially for beginners
>>
>>53829499
You went from 15.10 to 14.04.
>>
Why trolls keep trying to kill /g/'s last good thread? ;_;
>>
>>53829575
>have to reinstall the OS to upgrade to a newer version
>solid distro
>>
>>53829555
Sure there is that as well. But look at it this way. What better way to catch the most fish? Go fish with a tiny rod in a small pond? Or throw a huge net in a gigantic ocean?
>>
Alright guys I have a question, was wondering if anyone could help

It's a Tumblr thing, so if you have a hate boner for that you can just stop reading now (or just go ahead and meme, that's alright)

On Firefox, whenever I scroll back up to previous posts, the images appear as blanks instead of showing the actual image. What could I do to fix this?
>>
>>53829600
>trolls
I've seen none interjecting yet
>>
>>53829575
>>53829582
I am actually using ubuntu, mint and debian on the same machine right now.
Installed mint and debian after raging because a 15.10 install was shitting the bed after first login and freezing after changing desktop environment.
>>
>>53829610
I remember this being a bug with huge images. Update FF.
>>
>>53829635
>Three distros in one computer
Why not just stick with one for everything?
>>
>>53829660
>Why not just stick with one for everything?
I bet you don't own a PC, and a laptop, and a smartphone, and a tablet, and a mp3 player?
>>
>>53829691
I do. I'm talking about your machine.

What do you do on ubuntu that you can't do on mint or debian,
what do you do on mint that you can't do on ubuntu or debian

you'd be better off just using debian since the other two are based on it
>>
>>53829691
he means one distro for the one computer, considering debian, ubuntu, and mint are all debian based and very similar anyway
>>
>>53826442
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbABy9ul11I

This link is better, Anon.
>>
>>53829660
Because I wanted to try out new shit, and since I am playing with services, servers and ports nowadays I want to have something that I can switch to asap and keep working on since the reason i installed 15.10 in the first place was that something really fucked up happened while playing with servers and ports.
In 6 months I'll probably decide on wich distro to hang on.
>>
While I'm downloading ubuntu 16.04, let me tell you how horrible hidpi is on xfce while still being possible.
> xscreensaver doesn't scale, no matter how much you try
> LightDM only scales fonts. Images cannot be touched
> Icons on the system tray will always be blurry
> Certain panel items do not work well with the increased font size (Window Buttons)
> A lot of xfce programs don't work with hidpi at all (Not surprised there)
> Getting a non-simple theme to scale properly is a nightmare

Arch Wiki lied to me. XFCE has no real hidpi support.
>>
Hey guys I have a question

I'm using Debian, and my root and home partitions are in an LVM, which resides in an SSD. I left some space in the LVM unused just in case I needed to make more partitions, shrink, expand, etc. I keep my music/documents etc in a separate hard drive for storage, which I link to home.

I want to make backup images of the root and home volumes. As far as I understand it, the snapshot partitions are rather small and only record files which get changed in the original volume. Right?

So supposing I make snapshots for root and home and I end up fucking something up with root - bad enough that I can't boot into the machine properly - how do I restore the snapshot? Using a live CD and installing the LVM GUI tool from Red Hat? Or how?

Also I keep getting this error whenever I open the program. How can I fix it?

>An error occured while loading or saving config info for system-config-lvm.py. Some of your config settings may not work properlyu
>No D-BUS Daemon running

Sorry if the questions seem a bit dumb, I'm sort of new. Cheers guys
>>
So I have this Lenovo Ideapad U510 and decided it'd be perfect for Ubuntu. The problem is that it utilizes UEFI which I am not too familiar with and snooping in search engines yields nothing about my particular problem.

So it had win8.1, I made a bootable Ubuntu live USB and did a clean install (wiping my windows cause I had nothing I wanted to hold on to and dont game a lot). Ubuntu installed no problem, my issue is different. Win8 took like 15 secs max to boot since it utilizes the SSD for boot files. Ubuntu takes 35 secs to boot, does it also utilize the SSD the same way? Should I have done something different since its UEFI?
>>
>>53830496
it might be because Windows 8 and 10 suspend parts of the session to disk instead of shutting down entirely. That speeds up the boot process.
You can either a)suspend to disk with Ubuntu, or b)remove unneeded services at boot (run 'systemd-analyze blame' to see what's taking so long)
>>
>>53830030

Most of those things are Xfce unrelated. Xfce's applications use GTK2 and that has shitty HiDPI support.
>>
>all these anti linux threads
What's happening?
>>
>>53830696
Microsoft doing an ad campaign "lol windows 10 has bash now xD" but it's just official cygwin.
>>
Is LFS worth trying?
>>
Aside from installing Flash, what's the most convenient way to watch Twitch streams on Debian w/GNOME?

I've seen a few shell extensions for GNOME that can do it but they are a bit barebones - as you can't log in or see the chat from them.
>>
>>53830496
Yeah that makes sense. I really don't care about boot time, 35 secs is fine by me I just wanted to know whether I've fucked up with the UEFI. I really dislike it. It seems like it was rushed as a standard. I
>>
>>53830895
mpv with youtube-dl. Twitch also supports IRC clients for the chat.
>>
>>53830895
why wouldn't you install flash?
>>
I've never used linux before, can I get some recommendations on distros for noobs like me? Are ubuntu or openSUSE good options? What pros and cons do they have?
>>
>>53830979
Ubuntu. OpenSUSE is literally who the distro.
>>
>>53830979
Ubuntu, Opensuse, Fedora, Linux Mint are all considered noob-friendly. Ubuntu and it's derivates (all the *buntus and Linux Mint) ship with non-free drivers for wifi and such. Some consider this bad, some like it.
Ubuntu is certainly a good start, although you might look at some current screenshots of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu just to check if you like the look of the desktop environment you'll be getting.
>>
>>53830696
They don't create these threads to bully GNU/Linux users or for posting anything of value; they create them to justify themselves. They espect other tech illiterate sheeple to confirm that GNU/Linux is a waste of time, so they can feel secure in the crowd. The daily anti-linux thread is the daily drug that makes that bad feel go away.
>>
>>53830979
Ubuntu, Mint, and OpenSUSE are probably your best options as a beginner. I tend to lean more towards the first two for beginners, but openSUSE is fine as well

If you're willing to get your hands a little bit dirtier and have wiki's handy as you set things up, maybe try Debian as your first experience as well. Keep in mind this option might be a tad daunting for a complete beginner though. But eventually it's a good idea to move out from the 'beginner' distros if you want to learn more about linux - as they tend to hold your hand a bit too much. Which some people don't care about, which is fine

Ubuntu is based on Debian
Mint is based on Ubuntu

Memers here will get triggered at my recommendation of Mint because of a security flaw their website experienced back in late february where a compromised ISO was slipped in - but the flaw was quickly removed, they were very professional keeping people informed about the flaw and how they were fixing it, and they've taken measures for it not to happen again.

If you go the Ubuntu route, I encourage you to take a look at its different flavors. Default Ubuntu can be a bit ugly, since it uses the Unity Desktop Environment (but this is entirely subjective). Check out Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu or Kubuntu
>>
>>53831039
I'm not sure recommending Fedora to a beginner is the best of ideas
>>
>>53831039
>Ubuntu and it's derivates (all the *buntus and Linux Mint) ship with non-free drivers for wifi and such.
Does this mean that there will be wifi drivers for any laptop? Are they hard to get if they are not already there?
>>
>>53831107
Yes. If you see someone saying a distro ships with non-free drivers, that means everything should theoretically work out of the box with no hassles.

If it does not ship with non-free drivers, you might have to install them yourself if there is not a free option available. Which is very easy - Debian even tells you which ones you need to download during installation, if you need any
>>
>>53831081
What's wrong with Fedora?
>>
>>53831107
non-free drivers = propietary drivers = everything werks, but they are propietary so they don't comply with FOSS

Including free or non-free things is a philosophical decision each distro team makes. If you don't really care about free software, just use the non-free drivers and everything should work without muchtrouble. If you care very deeply about free software, you will have to go through a bit more hassle but will stay true to your philosophy
>>
>>53831136
Thanks man.

>>53831058
>If you go the Ubuntu route, I encourage you to take a look at its different flavors. Default Ubuntu can be a bit ugly, since it uses the Unity Desktop Environment (but this is entirely subjective). Check out Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu or Kubuntu
So the different desktop environments are just for aesthetics or do they have different functionalities too?
>>
>>53831175
>using a tripcode
fuck off
>>
>>53831175
filtered
>>
>>53831191
Unity looks way better than the others with a bit of tweaking (and especially now that the side bar can be changed to the bottom). Most people have bad opinions of unity as memories after the gnome 2 switch to unity. It was terrible back then but it's grown a lot.
>>
>>53831191
>So the different desktop environments are just for aesthetics or do they have different functionalities too?
So this is how the layers go

GNU/Linux -> your chosen distro -> your desktop environment

Everyone starts off from more or less the same base. Each distro does things differently under the hood (things like package management, updates, etc etc). You can choose any desktop environment you want for your distro, more or less (or even no desktop environment).

So for example: to any observer, Ubuntu GNOME and Debian with GNOME would look aesthetically pretty much the exact same, but they are very different beasts underneath the hood (even with Ubuntu being based on Debian)

As for the differnces between DE's: they are mostly aesthetic but they all have different functionality in that they have different file managers, customization options, etc etc.

At the end of the day, whether you get Ubuntu GNOME or Kubuntu - it's still Ubuntu, just with a slightly different coat of paint above it, and maybe different door handles to get into the car.

This is what using GNU/Linux is all about - freedom of choice. Go crazy, have fun
>>
>>53830895
Twitch has an HTML5 player since a while back. Otherwise, Livestreamer plus media player of your choice, with an IRC client for chat or just the normal chat on Twitch.

There's also some client that bakes Livestreamer into some interface for Twitch, but I've no idea if it's up to date.
>>
I just installed Debian 8.x in VMware 12 (using a GNOME shell apparently) and wanted to get the resolution to scale with the VMware window. I installed VMware tools through VMware and still don't get this feature. Is it not supported? Ubuntu runs on Debian, and Ubuntu can do it. Maybe I didn't config it correctly, I'm a linux noob.
>>
>>53831191
if you're curious about differences between distros you can just download a few .isos and make bootable USB sticks with them. Most distros have live-cd or live-usb images, which will let you try the whole system without installing. Then you can see whether or not you even "get" the idea behind GNOME, for example, or if you should stick with something like KDE or Xfce.
>>
Maybe someone could improve and extend this to a worthy pasta?

logicalincrements /g/uide :
http://www.logicalincrements.com/firefox/

Must-have addons:
https://github.com/gorhill/ublock/
https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/
https://github.com/Synzvato/decentraleyes
https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere

Config hardening:
https://github.com/Narga/user.js
https://github.com/CrisBRM/user.js
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js
https://gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5
>>
>>53831183
Hm I see, I'm ok with using non-free stuff, so that's not a problem for me.

>>53831289
Thanks.

>>53831309
Very informative, thank you very much. Would it be possible to build you own distro if you had enough time and skills?
>>
>>53831458
No skills needed. All you need is to follow the install guides. Then install your favorite file manager, terminal, window manager, etc, done is your very own desktop.
>>
>>53831458
Yes, everyone and anyone is free to make their own distro and share it with the world (or keep it to themselves). That's what's so cool about FOSS

Which is why nowadays there are thousands upon thousands of Linux distros in the world

distrowatch.com is a neat site to browse if you want to find out what's trending lately, and which ones have risen and fallen in popularity over the years etc. Keep in mind it's not a be-all, end-all source of info for distros because the way they measure interest is not perfect. Take it as a rough guess-timate.
>>
>>53831604
I know, which is why I included the disclaimer at the end of the phrase there.
>>
>>53831515
>>53831538
That's very cool, thanks again.
>>
>>53826797
terminator (the python-based one). Though it borrows a lot from gnome-terminal. But who knows, maybe it'll run.
>>
I have a text file and I want to print it, but with it's words randomized. What's the easiest way to do this in bash?
>>
I want to install Cava on Gentoo, but I'm trying to get around this bug:

https://github.com/karlstav/cava/issues/83

It says the solution is to uninstall version 3.1 of iniparser, and let cava use its bundled 4.0 version, but I couldn't do that because iniparser is listed as a dependency for some important packages. So what I did instead was unmask iniparser 4.0 and install it. (Pic related)

However, when building cava it still gives me the same error as if I were using version 3.1? How can I tell it to use version 4.0 instead of 3.1?
>>
>>53826797
urxvt
>>
File: swim.jpg (35 KB, 499x302) Image search: [Google]
swim.jpg
35 KB, 499x302
>>53830328
Anybody know?
>>
>>53831818
So just fuck everything by scrambling the words?

>Anon made a request
>a made request Anon
>>
>>53832042
Exactly like this. I looked into shuf and sort -R but these sadly only shuffle the lines, not the words.
>>
File: 1454910473279.jpg (51 KB, 492x557) Image search: [Google]
1454910473279.jpg
51 KB, 492x557
Anyone know a fast booting os that isnt arch or debían. It has to be usable.
>>
>>53832231
Just out of curiosity, what on Earth are you trying to accomplish? Is this going to be for a challenge of some kind?
>>
>>53832312
puppy
>>
File: 1450922053067.jpg (35 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1450922053067.jpg
35 KB, 800x450
>>53832312
Define "useable".
>>
>>53832312
*buntu, fedora, mint, opensuse, slackware, crux
>>
>>53832320
A fun script for the sole purpose of learning shell scripting.
>>
File: 1437584161240.png (298 KB, 450x399) Image search: [Google]
1437584161240.png
298 KB, 450x399
So this is what comes out when playing with ImageMagick goes... wrong.
>>
>>53832435
Looks like it went right to me
>>
>>53832398
uh huh, sure you don't plan to embed it into the firmware of a public printer to fuck with people
>>
First timer here: I just installed Trisquel Mini after a month or so of using Lubuntu.
Tell me /g/, Is Midori a good browser? Feels faster than what I use normally (Firefox). Also, what addons do you recommend?
>>
File: 1.png (136 KB, 450x399) Image search: [Google]
1.png
136 KB, 450x399
>>53832435
IT'S RICHARD.
>>
File: 1429711433460.gif (4 MB, 450x399) Image search: [Google]
1429711433460.gif
4 MB, 450x399
>>53832435
... but there were also nice results.
>>
>>53826246
I use an old pc with ubuntu server (no x) as backup, baackground downloader and samba share to a local windows network.
>>
>>53831707
terminator is what I use currently. Not disliking it so far. Still need to modify how colours, fonts and stuff like that but might be what I wanted
>>53831866
since lot of people recommend it I'll try it
>>
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 659x595) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 659x595
Trying to use rsnapshot and can't get it to fucking work. When I execute it I get nothing, no error message and no disk activity.
>>
>>53832312
something using systemd that use light stuff.
>>
File: 1449483707682.gif (4 MB, 450x399) Image search: [Google]
1449483707682.gif
4 MB, 450x399
>>53832481
Alternative version.
>>53832478
Yes it actually is.
This was the script that went wrong:
convert rms.png -crop 5x5 -set page '+%[fx:page.x+3*page.x/10]+%[fx:page.y+3*page.y/10]' -background '#111' -colorspace Gray -layers merge +repage out.png

The wrong part was -crop 5x5 which should be -crop 10x10. -crop 5x5 produced this fucked up piece of art.
>>
>>53832472
I tried Midori and Epiphany when I decided I wanted a "lighter" browser than Chrome or Firefox. Midori crashed more often than Epiphany for me, both use less resources though. Great for lurking here
>>
>>53826014
how do I screenfetch on lubuntu? I have to install something to do that?
>>
>>53832707
sudo apt-get install screenfetch

But you should install screenfetch-deb from git, since the packaged version is always outdated.
>>
>>53832729
>screenfetch-deb
I meant screenfetch-dev
>>
File: The_all_encompassing_pleasure.gif (546 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
The_all_encompassing_pleasure.gif
546 KB, 255x255
>>53832751
Screenfetch.deb?
>>
>>53832695
Browsing 4chan nicely with Midori as well.
I'll look into Epiphany, thanks.
>>
>>53826173
I had a similar problem. My hard drive had a GPT partition table, bu my USB key had a MBR table. Maybe its the same issue?
>>
How do I do my simple taxes for free? I qualify for free on most sites, and live in TX so don't need to do a state return..

Do TurboTax/HNR/Jackson Hewitt have a web based service? I don't want to install their non-free shit.
>>
>>53832695
luakit and uzbl are pretty nice, if you want keyboard driven browsing.
>>
What's on GNU/TV today?
>>
>>53832751
>>53832729
Weird that 4chan X isn't giving me notifications that someone replied...

Anyway, what do you mean by git? git hub? If so which one do you use?
>>
Guys can Linux run BSD?
>>
>>53833340
yes
>>
>>53833340
lol they are seperate kernels.
>>
>>53833382
lol no they are two OSs
>>
>>53833402
The BSDs and GNU/Linux have seperate kernels. And you saying "Can Linux run BSD?" Makes no sense because Linux is itself a kernel, and BSD has it's own kernel, so if you ran the BSD userland on Linux, it would basically be Linux. Considering there are a lot of shared utilities especially. Your question makes no sense.
>>
>>53833340
There have been projects to use the bsd kernel in linux distros like debian and arch.
>>
File: 1458972943520.png (20 KB, 540x479) Image search: [Google]
1458972943520.png
20 KB, 540x479
>>53833316
https://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch
>>
File: scramble.png (42 KB, 599x410) Image search: [Google]
scramble.png
42 KB, 599x410
#!/usr/bin/env bash

while read -r -d ' ' word; do
while true; do
index=$RANDOM
[[ -n ${words[$index]} ]] && continue
words[$index]=$word
break
done
done
>>
>>53833524
ebin, saved
>>
>>53833524
forgot the last line
echo "${words[@]}"
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.