[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, so after fumbling around for a few hours I finally changed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Hey /g/, so after fumbling around for a few hours I finally changed my OS for the first time yesterday to ubuntu after using windows all my life.

I had windows 8 and refused to update it at all, so things like the network connectivity, audio, and even the ability to charge while plugged in were becoming really inconsistent, hence the attraction to another OS.

I'm really happy with the feeling that I have more control over what happens with this piece of junk I use every day, but I have no idea what I can do with that control.

I just saw the desktop thread here and got sort of jealous of how you guys can customize your own stuff, hehe...

any tips/suggestions? I just learned how to use GNOME a bit to install a program to fix my fan speed, if that helps you gauge my skill level. Other than that, I proudly made a pig latin generator once with python :)

Thanks
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53825912
>
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxcommand/files/TLCL/13.07/TLCL-13.07.pdf/download
>>
>>53825912
remove unity
use MATE or if for some reason it appeals to you KDE

install tlp for battery life (apt remove laptop-mode-tools just in case)

install synaptic so you can actually search for packages

install mpv to watch video

install chrome for netflix

install fonts-croscore for chromebook fonts (arimo, cousine, and tino) which IMO are top tier

install arc-theme (google it, follow instructions on github)

have fun
>>
>>53826096
I'm having an unreasonable amount of fun atm. I'll look into removing unity and I'll definitely follow through on everything else, so thank you. I read somewhere here that unity is for some reason much faster that other alternatives, but I think it might be worth sacrificing some speed depending on circumstance

>>53826002
lol this is kind of exactly what I need, but goddamn.

>>53825977
lol let me not be uber-n00b first, but thanks.
>>
>>53826096
This
Except for the remove unity part. Go to fixubuntu.com
>>
>>53826420
>Except for the remove unity
no, its not terrible atm but there are other options that are better in every way
>>
>>53826096
>install chrome for netflix
What the fuck did you just say?
>>
>>53826096
Unity is fine. In 16.04 it's glorious. Mate is shit.

Don't listen to this guy OP, just keep learning at your own pace.
>>
File: 344282.png (257 KB, 777x869) Image search: [Google]
344282.png
257 KB, 777x869
install arch linux bro: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide
with enlightenment de: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/enlightenment

arch is much faster and compiled YOUR hardware performance, see pic related (ubuntu is a bloated slow vers of debien). come hang on irc #archlinux @ freenode bro.
>>
>>53825912
Get Unity tweaker, a custom theme and a custom icon pack from gnome-look.org. There you go. No need to thank me.
>>
If you like unity try unity-tweak-tool. Otherwise there's a good number of desktop environments and one size doesn't fit everyone. Good luck.
>>
>>53825912
You should've covered that faggot-ass bunny
>>
wow, a lot of links, this is more than I can ask for. Currently going through them while reading the linux command line anon linked to...

>>53826857
I thought she was charming...

I'll keep at it.
>>53826675
I'll thank you anyway :)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.