[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Linux’s Bash shell is coming to Windows, courtesy of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: bash-windows-100653190-large.png (49 KB, 580x363) Image search: [Google]
bash-windows-100653190-large.png
49 KB, 580x363
>Linux’s Bash shell is coming to Windows, courtesy of a collaboration between Microsoft and Ubuntu-creator Canonical. Type bash into Windows 10’s Start menu, and you’ll be able to instantly get a full Linux command-line environment.
>It’s not a virtual machine or container
>This solution will be an app available in the Windows Store, and it will provide a full Ubuntu image that runs in userspace as a program on your desktop. Programs compiled for Linux will just run without even needing to be recompiled for Windows. You can use Ubuntu’s apt-get command to download and install programs, and it’ll just work. Developers can write Bash scripts and run them on Windows. It’s reportedly just as fast as running the same utilities natively on Ubuntu Linux.
Checkmate, atheists.
>>
>>53815852
What if they're compiled for Arch? Will they still work then?
>>
>>53815906
Yes, as long as you have the full arch root directory. Because it need the shared libraries.

They write a full linux binary emulator hooking the syscalls (lxcore.sys)
>>
Linux users on suicide watch
>>
>>53815852
so it's microsoft cygwin?
>>
>>53816020
Why?
>>
But bash is fucking awful

It's shit for scripts
-syntax
-capabilities
-speed
It's shit interactively
-godawful "well program you're own then :^)" tab completion
-readline is crippled and dated
-defaults are quite bad, newer, more useful features did not make it into the defaults (desu all FOSS software is like this. "you're free to stay ignorant of progress, folks!")
It has a shit security track record
-this would be a non-issue if bash were NOT USED FOR /BIN/SH OR ANY IMPORTANT LOGIC FUNCTIONS LIKE IT IS

I was hoping microsoft would kill bash forever, not immortalize the worst shell for the worst system shell paradigm ever made (let's just pretend csh and fish didn't exist, ever...)
>>
>>53815852
>only $9.99 good goy
>>
>>53815852
>Linux’s Bash
IT LITERALLY DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH LINUX

LINUX IS A KERNEL, YOU DUMBFUCK
>>
>>53815852
nice April's fool joke motherfucker.
>>
>>53815852

Can someone please explain what a "bash" is, why Microsoft hasn't had one until now, and why this matters?

I literally don't understand
>>
>>53816107
if only

microsoft is proliferating a horrible outdated way of scripting your OS instead of fighting for the dominance of a proper system shell (called powershell)
the only people who still like bash/sh are idiots who can't figure out perl, python, or ruby and use it for things it shouldn't be used for

and people who still use PDP-10s and UNIX sh without job control. many smaller binaries = well optimized and PDP friendly.
>>
>>53816154
It's the best command line scripting language/interface known to man, available on both linux and mac osx. Windows is the only one without it. They are still using DOS which hasn't really been updated since the 90s.
>>
>>53816173
>powershell
>proper
Compared to you, maybe.
>>
>>53816193
What do you mean by "scripting interface"? I thought computer programmers used programming languages like Python and Node.JS. I learned that "Bash" was the thing that gave you "LS" and "CP."
>>
>>53816193
>They are still using DOS which hasn't really been updated since the 90s.
not DOS, cmd.exe which is some fucked up patch that emulates DOS.

>>53816173
bash/sh it's fine, some people never learn but fuck them if they can't move on to write something on perl or python. For small simple stuff it's perfect and it works. Powershell it's also fine as long as you treat it the same way. You shouldn't try to write a 1000lines long scripts in either one.
>>
>>53816193
Bash hasn't been updated since the 90s. Conceptually, it's well behind research OSes like interim and amoeba (amoeba used python). Practically, it's one of the worst UNIX shells you could ever use, and is only popular because GNU fanboys shilled it everywhere as the de-facto standard until nothing else would work because of all its small ksh-incompatible quirks. It's like microsoft software in that sense, so it figures that MS likes it.
>>
>>53816267
Scripting language and command line interface. Most unix software is a combination of shell scripts (sh or bash) and C code.
>>
>>53816022
Nope, Better because you don't need to recompile, it's a full BINARY compatibility.
>>
File: 1459542468345.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459542468345.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>53816100
Just shut the fuck up and go home you smartass fuck, I bet you call it GNU+Linux don't you. Its called layman's terms you prick. If you want to be a smartass at leas be right and call it Unix's bash.
>>
>>53816267
>"Bash" was the thing that gave you "CP"
MODS
>>
>>53816107
It's not an april fool joke... The news is from 2 days ago
>>
File: _rms.jpg (103 KB, 350x278) Image search: [Google]
_rms.jpg
103 KB, 350x278
>>53815852
I've been using bash and core GNU utils on Windows for at least a decade through mingw / cygwin / git bash. They do make Windows slightly more usable but it still sucks massive balls, so this "exciting news" in neither exciting nor news.
>>
>>53816290
>Most unix software is a combination of shell scripts (sh or bash) and C code.
wat
this isn't remotely true

most of the gnu utilities are written in straight C
very little serious software is written in bash/sh
>>
>>53816084
FUCK YOU ALL GUYS!
It's a fucking binary compatibility for Linux... You can use zsh, fish, tcsh etc
>>
>its so good they want it in their shitty os to try and help improve it

>look guys were not a botnet, we have linux in us :3 pls come back
>>
If it's not clear to anyone here, now we have a sort of GNU/NT kek

Joking. The compatibility is for linux so it's something like
GNU/Linux/NT
>>
>>53816351
I know, I just want to shill against the zombie army of software tools so rob pike will finally suck my dick.
>>
>>53816287
Practically everything in both Unix and Windows is outdated. The funny part is that there are older operating systems that actually do their job better (ITS, TOPS-20, Lisp machines; I've working on Lisp machines before and have emulated TOPS-20 and ITS on one of them fancy PDP-10 emulators).
>>
>>53816287
>Practically, it's one of the worst UNIX shells you could ever use,
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>53816429
it isnt zsh
>>
>>53816467
So?
>>
Can one get it now. No updates for insider. Want to test thoroughly on the botnet
>>
>>53816533
No update for me also
>>
File: 1458236068458.gif (2 MB, 351x303) Image search: [Google]
1458236068458.gif
2 MB, 351x303
>>53816267
>tfw you see LS and CP in the same sentence
>>
>>53816533
I got it.
>>
I care about these things a little.
I have used linux(ubuntu) enough to recognize the command to copy a file is cp and what is it to delete, rem or rm or something and LS I would need to reference.

The Microsoft corporation just fucking sucks as I see it.
>>
>>53815852
>>Linux’s Bash shell is coming to Windows,
So... after what seems like decades of hearing how crappy bash is and how much better the many and various MS offerings are (were) we'll now be subject to all the trumpeting about how good bash is on Windows.
Oe noes...
>>
>>53816779
???
>>
>>53816022
No, it's Microsoft WINE
>>
File: 1435223257099.png (5 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1435223257099.png
5 KB, 640x400
>>53815852
Amazing progress.
>>
Another tool I'm never going to use... For those who love winshit enjoy !
>>
>>53816952
The very basic ls command is the linux corollary to a dir command listing files of course and that is from some specification 'higher' than linux.
I forgot that.
>>
>>53817290
and I never nearly got WINE running but so what
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.