[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TL;DR: Go to https://www.takedownabuse.org/ and sign it. nao
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: fail dvd rewinder.jpg (60 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
fail dvd rewinder.jpg
60 KB, 750x600
TL;DR: Go to https://www.takedownabuse.org/ and sign it. nao.

Chances are you have noticed DMCA takedown notices everywhere, even on content that is fair use, videos of people talking about media in front of a camera without showing any of the media they are talking about, and items the DMCA-issuerer doesn't even own yet wanted to flag just because they could. Legit content creators are getting hit by this more than pirates are. There are no penalties for filing false DMCA claims and the claims may be repeated over and over even if the creator is proven innocent. It also follows a "guilty until proven innocent" style of handling where innocent people are having content removed and are being penalized before anyone even looks at what was flagged.

If you want to do something about it you have until the end of today (April 1st) do say something to let the government know the rules need fixing.

This isn't a prank. This is actually real. Even better, the EFF has streamlined it so you just go to the address, fill in a few boxes, and you're done. It's that easy.

For the sake of a better internet, I hope you will take a few moments of your time to lend a hand. Thank you!
>>
>>53814703
bump.
This is important
>>
File: Motorcycle bell.jpg (52 KB, 477x600) Image search: [Google]
Motorcycle bell.jpg
52 KB, 477x600
>>53814802
Thanks for the bump. This really is important and the more voices we can have, the better the chances that this will be heard.
>>
File: outofway.jpg (30 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
outofway.jpg
30 KB, 640x512
>>
This is related to the "Where's the Free Use" trend on Youtube.

There's lots of videos on this crap being used to screw people over in the name of protecting copyright: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=where%27s+the+fair+use

Here's the most popular one (warning: Long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFAMOtwaI

Seriously, #WTFU
>>
Bump. This is really fucking important, and there is only an hour left.
>>
>>53814703
ok
>>
Laws are bought, this won't do shit.
>>
>YouTube
And nothing of value was lost.
Whoever fills false takedown claims against these kid brainwashers, keep up the good work. For the sake of a better internet, I hope these guys continue doing this.
Fuck off, pewdiepie.
>>
File: read a book.jpg (65 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
read a book.jpg
65 KB, 566x480
>>53817350
>>
I wonder how many of you filled it with copypasta.
>>
File: 1439209001062.png (151 KB, 397x379) Image search: [Google]
1439209001062.png
151 KB, 397x379
>>53817795
Nice damage control.
>>
>fail

Whoever made that thing is a god selling stupid people a useless product is a brilliant marketing strategy

Just look at apple
>>
The notice-and-takedown process under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is heavily biased in favor of corporate copyright holders and too commonly used to censor content that is protected under fair use. This system has had dire effects on political expression, creativity, and commercial innovation on the Internet. The DMCA needs new safeguards to protect against abuse and companies that infringe on users’ free speech need to be held responsible.

Companies are using computer algorithms to scan content posted to the Internet for possible copyright violations and issue automated takedowns. This process is vulnerable to significant error and does not allow for judgements to be made about possible fair use exceptions, therefore resulting in the censorship of vast amounts of legitimate (i.e. legal) speech and creative expression on the Internet.

According to a recent study from Berkeley and Columbia law professors, nearly 30 percent of takedown notices are of questionable validity and would benefit from human review.

While the DMCA’s safe harbor provisions are important for making an open, participatory Internet possible, the notice-and-takedown procedures that have been developed alongside them have disproportionately benefited corporate copyright holders and copyright trolls who seek to shut down legitimate competition and extract money from innocent victims.

The notice-and-takedown process puts the most important types of content at risk. Political speech can be censored at crucial moments in a campaign. Videos can be taken offline at moments when they are crucial for the survival of small businesses. This kind of damage can not be undone.
>>
To balance the process, copyright holders need to have more responsibility for considering fair use when enforcing copyright laws. As sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter have become important public spaces, companies that issue takedown notices of content that is clearly protected by fair use should be held liable for violating individuals’ rights to free speech.

Balance is desperately needed in the notice and takedown system. One step to creating that balance is to impose statutory damages for companies that abuse the DMCA takedown process or fail to adhere to any fair use review. In particular, automated takedowns must be discouraged as they inhibit free speech and fair use of copyrighted works.
>>
>>53817919
How's that boot taste, commie?
>>
>>53814703
>Believe that on principle the DMCA is wrong
>Would like to see commercial Let's Plays and similar cultural detritus stop falling under fair use. (LPs with no ad-revenue should be ignored.)

It's hard being someone with no value for consistensy
>>
>>53818303
It's hard but you seem to do it so well.
>>
>>53818544
What amused me is that I even accidentally managed to abandon all "consistensy" in the spelling of the word consistency. :^)
>>
>>53817350
1/10 got me to reply
>>
>>53818631
You'll stop thinking I'm baiting when you turn 15, because nobody that is older than 15 finds an autist screaming while playing funny.
>>
File: windows start wndows.jpg (50 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
windows start wndows.jpg
50 KB, 604x453
Went to the site and it looks like they're starting to hold meetings about the DMCA now. It's about time. 90's internet is not now's internet so the laws need updaring badly. Signed.
>>
>>53819003
>90's internet is not now's internet
and we should purge it all for that reason.
>>
>>53819048
The internet or the people?
>>
>>53819223
If we can put a man on the moon I'm pretty sure we can purge two things.
>>
>>53819229
Yet we still can't cure the common cold.
>>
where does this matter other than youtube, which is already a lost cause?
>>
>>53819303
DMCA takedowns can happen anywhere on the internet. Facebook. Google. Entire random websites big and small if they have a steady theme (ex: fan art sites). If you see the dreaded government takedown notice it was hit by the DMCA.
>>
Signed it already some time ago, but good job anon for posting it here.
>>
Yes. This needs to spread.
>>
bumping important thread
>>
>>53814703
posting in order to bring to the front page
>>
>>53814703
>There are no penalties for filing false DMCA claims
Yes, there are. Stop spreading misinformation.
>>
this won't fix anything. Hell it will make whatever the lobbyists (riaa, katy perry) even more powerful because they're the ones writing the rules, not the people. FFTF, EFF will not get a say when the new SOPA pops up this summer.
>>
>>53820839
There are de-jure penalties, de-facto there are no penalties for DMCA trolling.
It's like piracy, sure there's a tiny chance they'll make an example of you and make you pay a $200,000 fine for pirating a single song, but realistically nothing will happen.
>>
>Bump
>>
>>53819279
we cure it every year, it just mutates a bit and comes back again
>>
>>53814703
I recall reading about a Tor exit node operator who set up a script to extract the content from DCMA takedown requests and auto-respond with a safe harbor clause form letter (Dear $name, Thank you for informing me about $content on $date, please know I'm exempt from DCMA as a service provider). These notices are sent by bots anyway.
>>
>a bunch of signatures are going to remove capitalist influence from the government
Oh boy.
>>
>>53814703
>scroll-down html5 site

FUCK THAT SHIT BACK TO LE REDDIT YOU FAG
>>
>>53824142
Capitalist influence might.

Google can shill a lot of ads to impressionable children via legally dubious youtube uploads, if they're making enough doing it they can out-bribe the MPAA.

It's basically the eastern front in WW2, Nazis or Stalinists? Take your poison.
>>
>>53824182
Stalin did nothing wrong.
>>
I actually signed this organizations petition for the Apple v. FBI thing.

it gets you onto their little activist mailing list so you should use an email address that you don't care about
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.