[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For those who like beauty, stability and simplicity, is FreeBSD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 1131x707
For those who like beauty, stability and simplicity, is FreeBSD or BSD the way to go?

I tried pcbsd out in a vm and I love it. Does anyone use it as their daily driver?
>>
No you klutz
>>
>>53812345
go for it
>>
>>53812345
About to PC-BSD from Debian. Seems to be issues with UEFI support but may have been solved now.
>>
>>53812345
Nope. OpenBSD is what you want.
>>
File: tux_vs_daemon.jpg (43 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tux_vs_daemon.jpg
43 KB, 800x600
Please don't use open source software, only free software. Thank you.
>>
I need speed, efficiency and the ability to use a web browser. Can FreeBSD do that?
>>
>>53812587
speed's the last thing you should go for BSD over Linux in retrospect.
>>
>>53812743
How so?

I'm interested in a usable OS with code correctness and stability first.
>>
>>53812345
OS X
>>
>>53812783
stability is subjective to the variant of BSD you use but speed's just not comparable to Linux because it's much better tested and has bigger user base.

also if you bring systemd in the debate BSD init is left so far in the dust its not even funny.
>>
File: DOBBSHEAD-.jpg (514 KB, 1008x1224) Image search: [Google]
DOBBSHEAD-.jpg
514 KB, 1008x1224
FreeBSD is a good distro but it's shit for desktop use. Desktop developers just aren't interested in developing for it so it has to use a bunch of hacks to get Linux software to run on it, usually at much worse performance.

If you want a BSD-like system for your desktop I recommend Slackware. <3
>>
>>53812783
there's also hardware compatibility which is simply late 90s linux tier.
https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/support.html
>>
OpenBSD is the best choice for desktop use
>>
>>53812884
Systemd is rather subjective as well. The benefit in standardization it gives to Linux is lost on FreeBSD because bsds are already homogenous. While it's fast, it's performance is the result of dangerous design decisions.
>>
>>53812926
Only someone of sub-genius intelligence would use Slackware.
>>
>>53813017
that's fucking bullshit, I am an Indian guy with an IQ of 120pts and I've used it as my primary system.
Linux from Scratch is much more PITA than slackware.
Slackware is far easier to setup because of Alienbob's repos than even Gentoo.
>>
>>53812512
And now has UEFI support.
>>
>>53812926
>If you want a BSD-like system for your desktop I recommend Slackware. <3
Hey Slackware, the 90's just called and want their OS back...
>>
>>53812484
>About to PC-BSD from Debian.
Same here, will you marry me Carla?
>>
> daily driver

next you'll be telling us about your 'work horse' os

./htop KEK
>>
OpenBSD on my X201 works great.
>>
>>53812345
been using FreeBSD since around 2.2.8. it's the best and most polished UNIX experience you can get for free.

everything in FreeBSD just makes sense. even the filesystem structure is a thing of beauty.
>>
>>53813555
Jasmine, do u get wet between your thighs thinking about FreeBSD and all it's goodness?

I know I do.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.