[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are workstation motherboards worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: z97-ws.jpg (247 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
z97-ws.jpg
247 KB, 1000x1000
Are workstation motherboards worth it?
>>
no. buy a macbook.
>>
File: 200w.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>53801344
Got 2
>>
>>53801329
never used one before but i am interested
>>
>>53801329
Yes, they are. But the better deal is to buy them already installed in the workstation they were originally designed for. Putting them in a new case is not cost effective.
>>
>>53801329
the whole point of workstation class shit is that it is built better so that your IT department isn't always replacing 1 of the 500 motherboards that might die.

If you don't mind MAYBE replacing your motherboard when it breaks then there is no point. Replacing hardware is a certainty for IT pros, this is why these higher tier things exist.
>>
>>53801505
>If you don't mind MAYBE replacing your motherboard when it breaks then there is no point.

Everything you've said is true, but it doesn't take into account the cheapness of used workstation motherboards on ebay.
>>
>>53801329
No, unless you know what you are doing.
>>
>>53801608
This is true. You can get those the only other factor then is that people treated it well. IT people tend to not be too careful with electronic components.
>>
File: NSlKY7q.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
NSlKY7q.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>53801505
>new build
>used for gaming
>dont mind overkill/wasted potential
>was recommended to get a WS board if I'm willing to spend $350-400
>wanting it to last forever
>>
File: 1454934307490.jpg (188 KB, 1012x2048) Image search: [Google]
1454934307490.jpg
188 KB, 1012x2048
>>53801643
Naw. Since the Z170 boards were close to the Z97-WS, I was referred to grab the WS.
>>
>>53801329
sometimes they come with cross-ship warranty and better warranty periods

thats about it. asus csm type of deal

if you really care you'd look at who makes the mosfets and caps used on the board model and run and research who is best instead of drooling over a description card scribbled out by some black taiwanese jew marketer scribble like the rest of /g/

computer parts are hard not to get ripped off on, it's less is it worth it and more do you want it
>>
>>53801677
You can pretty reliably predict how long a component will last by the warranty that it comes with.

This is something that you'll learn in statistics or operations management. Basically warranties are based of the expected lifespan of 95% (depending on the quality it may be 97% or 99%), of the products off the line.

So if a motherboard has a warranty of 5 years you can reasonably guess that you have a 95% chance of getting one that will last at least 5 years.

This also explains why everyone seems to experience the "It died right after the warranty" situation.

Look at warranty as the expected lifetime of the product.
>>
File: Ks6BMVP.jpg (76 KB, 953x960) Image search: [Google]
Ks6BMVP.jpg
76 KB, 953x960
>>53801749
Noted. Thanks. I assumed a WS board underutilized would last a min. 5 years
>>
>>53801749
Eh, with enterprise grade equipment it's very common for shit to last as long as you care to fool around with it, especially if it is still in a working environment. At my old job there were machines sitting on a shelf for 25 years I could pull out and they'd fire up without hitch.
>>
>>53801832
any mobo worth its parts would last that long regardless we cont live in the dark ages anymore
>>
>>53802087
yeah there's heaps of servers that are not worth plugging in at work because dcs are expensive to power and cool

they dont even pretend to care about recouping costs, drives are shredded, hardware goes up for grabs, and the rest is sent for recycling

i can only take so many servers home before it's not funny. 16 total cores 64gb looks great on paper for free but holyshit unless there's 4 floors and a soundproof room even one is too many

some have workstation cooling policy they are not so bad but i bet they cut performance to run
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.