[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Father begs Apple CEO to help unlock iPhone.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: iphone-time-bomb-1200x0[1].jpg (308 KB, 970x647) Image search: [Google]
iphone-time-bomb-1200x0[1].jpg
308 KB, 970x647
>I understand privacy, but I wonder what if inside a disabled iPhone was the password to block the explosion of an atomic bomb planted by terrorists in Rome, then what do we do? Do we let it explode?

Should we save Rome in that scenario or should we care more about our privacy?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/03/father-begs-apple-ceo-to-help-unlock-his-dead-13-year-old-sons-iphone/
>>
Let Rome burn. I need my privacy.

>I use Android
>>
If I'm building a nuclear bomb there would be no way to shut it down once engaged.
>>
Maybe next time his kid will trust him enough
>>
>but I wonder what if inside a disabled iPhone was the password to block the explosion of an atomic bomb planted by terrorists in Rome, then what do we do? Do we let it explode?

>implying this is some fucking movie where the baddies have stored the 'password to block the explosion of an atomic bomb' on their fucking WORK iPhone

Let's assume that scenario even happened. At that point the FBI isn't going to kindly ask Apple for their backdoor. They're just going to go next door to the NSA and have that shit cracked wide open without a sweat.

The father lost his son which is tragic, but for fuck's sake get a goddamn grip on reality. I lost my sibling from suicide recently so I know what it's like but I wasn't going around pointing fingers and making the dumbest claims trying to cope with it.

Life isn't fair, some people get dealt more unfair shit than others.
>>
The fault for the current lack of trust lays with the authorities who routinely abuse their granted surveillance powers. Had authorities acted responsibly with the granted powers, we wouldn't hesitate to grant them more powers, especially in an emergency.
>>
>>53800797
Faggots need their privacy. What is so hard to understand.

They got shit to hide, it would ruin their lives if people found out about their perversity.
>>
>>53800911
sorry about your sibling :(
>>
>>53800939
Bingo, literally this.
>>
>>53800945

The argument that "I don't need privacy because I have nothing to hide" is a red herring. You might not need privacy, but I doubt you would prefer to live in a society where nobody has any privacy.
>>
>>53800797
movie-plot threat

There's no such thing as a system that's secure, except if you have a court order. Keeping criminals out implies keeping the FBI out. Keeping the Chinese Army out implies keeping the NSA out. etc.
>>
>>53800939
Nah, authorities were never trusted at any point in history. It's part of human nature to be paranoid about any form of external power.

Moreso when that power it's supposed to be controlled by the people. At least, when they were under monarchical power, they couldn't do shit, because their opinion didn't matter. Now that it matters, people are batshit insane about the government, they literally think the government only works for obscure interests, the Bilderbergs, Microsoft, Satan, the banks, every fucking one but the actual general interest of the people.

Which is almost never true, most of the time the government tries to work for the general interest, and occasionally there might be some corrupt clerks here and there who step out of line.

But again, people are jealous and paranoid about any form of secretive power, because if it's secret something fishy must be going on there, right?
>>
>>53801044
>>Which is almost never true, most of the time the government tries to work for the general interest, and occasionally there might be some corrupt clerks here and there who step out of line.
Power corrupts, anon. Governments work to maintain and enlarge their power even if there's no malign power-behind-the-throne influencing them.

also it's right and proper to hold the government to a much higher standard than non-government actors, because the government has the power to use force against you, and is often a monopoly that you can't just leave. I think Google doesn't respect my privacy. Okay, fine, I quit using their products, and I block their scripts and cookies. I think the NSA doesn't respect my privacy. My options for doing anything about that are much more limited.
>>
>>53801044

Do you honestly believe that corporations pour billions of dollars into politics in the US alone because they're interested in their civic duty? Corporations are legally bound to represent the interests of the shareholders. Those billions are returning a healthy profit.

>secretive power

In a democracy there should be incredibly few powers that are secret.

This is the reason we have public government and private citizens. We are supposed to know everything they are doing and they are supposed to know nothing of what we are doing unless they have reasonable suspicion that we are commiting a crime.
>>
>>53801113
This.

Regardless of how good a government is, there should always be a power struggle between it and its people. The moment people start to become complacent is the moment the government starts tipping the scales of power in their favor.

But in reality most people just don't care at all so governments all over the world are granting themselves more and more power.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.