[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been studying python for a few weeks hit a wall, I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: earthquakes.png (754 KB, 833x2331) Image search: [Google]
earthquakes.png
754 KB, 833x2331
Been studying python for a few weeks hit a wall, I don't know what to do with the information I take In. I know what dictionaries are, lists ect. Have imported and installed libraries but find It incredibly hard to take what I've learned and apply It independently. How do I overcome this?
>>
>>53799736
I am learning python as well. Read more books, man. Knowing what lists and dictionaries are isn't shit unless you can use them effectively. Importing stuff isn't shit either. You need to read books. Read some books. Video lessons ain't shit. Read. Get off codecademy and read some books. Also, there is a secret resource out there that 99% of people who are learning code are using.
>>
>>53799873
Is the secret resource books? Can I get a recommendation? Read some of Automate the boring stuff and learned looping but I don't see Its practicality In my life.
>>
>>53799736
Try implementing different data structures from scratch. Like linked lists, doubly linked lists, binary trees, stacks, queues, etc.
>>
>>53799899
Yeah, the secret resource is books.
Well that might be your problem, man. Read the entire book. Every day I go through a chapter in a couple different books. Do the exercises, repeat them if you don't get it. You copied the examples perfectly? Nice. Now fuck up your code and try to fix it. Do the extra credits. Take your time. Never take a day off, man. Videogames? Fuck that shit. Gettin turnt up wit da squad? Nah, nigga. Consensual intercourse? Please. Get off 4 chan, download some books, read them shits, man. Go at it. Read the FUCK outta those books. Did you really learn "looping", or did you just read about how a for loop works. Practice. Copy other people's codes and read that shit. See if you can figure it out. Read.
>>
>>53799899
lmgtfymn
https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers
>>
>>53799736
Bitch, stop reading and go make something awesome. Then read some more. Take a programming challenge online, fix a small bug in some open source project you like or invent something yourself!
>>
>>53799990
This. But emphasize on reading code a bit later.

When you can read other's code in your language, the learning curve will be visible to you but you will quickly improve as you learn how others do things.
>>
Start reading "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas H. Corman.
>>
>>53799990
Is this sort of a lifestyle sustainable and enjoyable? I always wonder if I should take a month off to just learn like a madman to see if I can make a a habit of it.
>>
>>53799736
One of the drawbacks of being selflearing is that you have no task like when you take a course.

What would you like to do?

Games? Go make a pong clone in pygame. AI? Start with Machine Learning an do some Montecarlo simulations? Mobile Apps? There is also a library for that.

It takes a really long time to really grasp what this is all about, application design is a life long journey. My advice is to choose a project a stick with it till the end. Then repeat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.