[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best lossy format and why? I nominate .ogg vorbis--widely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 000087156.jpg (61 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
000087156.jpg
61 KB, 560x375
What is the best lossy format and why?

I nominate .ogg vorbis--widely supported, free and very good quality.
>>
>>53798053
for what media?

MP3 v0 for music and MP4 for videos, but personally I only use lossless - FLAC and H.264 lossless
>>
>>53798109
How autistic are you?
>>
>>53798136
autistic enough to go to a school with a CS program ranked 5th in the nation, so pretty fucking autistic
>>
>>53798228
>CS program ranked 5th in the nation
kek, enjoy flipping those hamburgers
>>
>>53798257
maybe once you move out of your mom's basement

until then, I'll keep collecting that dank silicon valley money
>>
speex
>>
>>53798053
Opus is technologically superior to Vorbis (higher compression, better latency, better bitrate scaling, supports both fullband and narrowband with a smooth transition, excellent for all applications be it voice or music).
>>
>>53798109
>>53798273
>Thinks MP4 is a video codec
Ranked 5th in what nation? Bangladesh?
>>
>>53798283
This. Opus is the successor to Vorbis afterall. That said, way more devices/apps support Vorbis and its still better than pretty much any other alternative.
>>
>>53798299
Not him, but OP said "format", which could be interpreted in a lot of ways.
>>
>>53798320
Well it's obvious that you gotta have to stick to the device's limitation and use the best codec that it *supports*.

But given freedom of choice i.e. assuming you have a device that can decode all relevant formats, Opus is the best.

Vorbis is easily the second best free format, but if you can't use Opus due to technological reasons it's possible you might still be able to use AAC or other formats that are technologically superior to Vorbis (but non-free).
>>
>>53798321
OP said “lossy format”. There's no way you're going to try and fucking argue that a container format is ‘lossy’.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.