[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: project-ara-conference-w628.jpg (19 KB, 628x383) Image search: [Google]
project-ara-conference-w628.jpg
19 KB, 628x383
What went wrong?
>>
Ara ara~
>>
File: 1440734211360.png (169 KB, 626x705) Image search: [Google]
1440734211360.png
169 KB, 626x705
>>53790199
>>
>>53790187
ara ara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUzxd8aof0
>>
the idea that this was going to work in the first place
its like communism, a nice idea. but it will never work
>>
What, Google built a Japanese milf simulator?
>>
>>53790187
The idea in general.

Why did everyone kill off removable batteries (or at least the excuse given...)?
the answer is because the extra battery casing required, the door cover, retaining mechanism, etc, etc cost a lot of space.

Ara does that, but for EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT.

It was never going to work, it was a faulty pipe dream by and for idiots.
>>
>>53790220
Communism is not a nice girl, it devalues hard work and rewards the undeserved.
>>
>>53790246
This, the idea was a solution to a problem that wasn't bothering anyone. It's a typical naive "Hey, if X worked on Y, it may work on Z!" approach that leads nowhere. Touchscreens on laptop or even desktops are a similar example for this.
>>
>>53790246
I don't understand. When was the last time you bought a phone with modular parts? This sounds identical to every other portable device out there?
>>
>>53790220
>>53790246
But...but...Google bought them! It must have potential.
>>
>>53790379
I never thought I'd use a touchscreen on a laptop until I got one that's a detachable tablet. Touchscreens are the shit. Pinching to zoom pages is infinitely easier than carefully pressing ctrl + a bunch of times until you find a tolerable zoom level.
>>
>>53790406
today
ordered a G5
>>
>>53790443
On my mac I can just pinch on the trackpad to zoom (or double tap on whatever), which I imagine is a hell of a lot more comfortable than reaching to the screen. I thought Win8+ was able to that as well?
>>
>>53790642
it is. touchscreens are dumb
>>
>Google starts project
>Immediately abandons it
Wow I'm fucking shocked
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-31-10-54-11.png (413 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-31-10-54-11.png
413 KB, 1440x2560
>>53790187

They tried to build a clock.
>>
it was a meme product from day 1. for the sole purpose of getting hype
>>
>>53790821
Exactly. It's not like Google has so many more projects running than other companies, it's just that they immediately go public with every shitty little idea they have. Most smart companies don't do that to not look like complete failures.
>>
>>53790187
It took them too long for one. They also no clear target market, besides it'd be pretty hard to make the solution worth it. Normal phones would be cheaper, and if just updating to a new phone is cheaper ... why bothering with an ugly modular design?
>>
>>53790440
Google bought communism?
>>
>>53791284
Imagine what people would do if Apple bought Communism.
>>
>>53791651
If they did, all I know is that the new symbol would be the hammer and shekel.
>>
>>53790187
Modular phones seems like an inherently bad idea, at least from a marketing point of view. People don't really give a shit about upgrading their screen and stuff like that, and why would they? Phones have become less and less modular for the last 20 years, and design costs and production costs for new models decreases all the time.
>>
>>53790220
>that analogy
Are you 16?
>>
A phone is something you carry around with you all day, its not like a desktop you can play around with.

Phones need to be solid, slim and resistant, that is why the unibody design is better.
>>
tinkering and customization is only for autists

this is why IOS is more popular and Apple sells the most flagship phones

they just werk
>>
File: pbLg57g[1].jpg (13 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
pbLg57g[1].jpg
13 KB, 480x270
>>53790199
>>
>>53790187
adverts and greed
>>
>>53792704
Not him, but fuck off commie. Communism has no basis in reality.
>>
>>53792026
>Phones have become less and less modular for the last 20 years
Phones have always been pretty close to non-modular.
Most older phones, lets you replace the simcard and battery, nothing else.
>>
>>53796861
That's because old phones were only about gsm communication. Look at old PDAs - SD/CF slots with expansion wlan card/camera/whatever else modules, removable cases, attachable keyboards. Phones are getting way less modular and that's a fact, you can't even expand memory in most modern devices.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.