[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xamarin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: xamarin-logo.png (50 KB, 1452x609) Image search: [Google]
xamarin-logo.png
50 KB, 1452x609
Heads up. This shit's now free as in beer, getting open sourced soon.
>>
>>53789398
>open sourced soon
i somehow missed that part
>>
It is open sourced, including Xamarin.Forms

That's right, free cross platform development for everyone!

Holy shit, this is based.
>>
Yes! YEES! My STUPID faggot company will no longer consider using fucking unity 3d for apps! YEES! YES!
>>
>>53789491
I'm finally dumping Apache Cordova for Xamarin.

I cried a little, can't wait to go to work tomorrow.
>>
>>53789590
I can hardly control myself. I don't think I've been this excited in years.
>>
BASED
Who /microsoft/ now?
>>
>>53789630
Who would be stupid enough to be against them now?
Oh god, I was scared. I actually thought I'd have to learn crap like Angular 2 with Nativescript or React Native. Now I get to use grorious C# and F# with Xamarin's APIs and tools... for free?!

Holy fucking shit.
>>
I've been burned by Microsoft before. I'm waiting until the full, buildable source is public before I celebrate.
>>
>>53789398
>>
lol, lot of shills in this thread.
i'm getting out of here.
>>
>>53789398
I prefer having a solid application on android than a shitty one on android, ios and windows phone
>>
>>53789768
Why though, when you can have a solid one on all three platforms? The same backend for all platforms, but a platform specific frontend that behaves like you would expect.

What is there to hate?
>>
>>53789740
yeah run away to your safe space, lil bitch lmao.
>>
>>53789398
post source you cockgobbling faggot.
>>
>>53789669
For free! Except you have to use them in their Free as in beer! Visual Studio IDE on top of their NON FREE! Operative System.
>>
You guys clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Xamarin is the most buggiest software you will ever use. It has crashed multiple times on me. Throws random errors to you because of issues with cleaning their resource files. The previewer does not support ANY of the newest android xml like coordinator, appbar, ... Makes bloated apps. Has a 3 second delay when booting up. Is BEHIND on the latest appcompat (I could not use vectors because of this shit) You have to write full blown classes for an onClick (no anonymous class support in C#). All code that you get from stackoverflow will need yo be changed. Lack if support of libraries (only nuGet). Gid I hate this pile if steaming shit. I wish I could work ik Android studio where I don't have to deal with all this BS. If you wanna use use thisshit you're just a lazy cuck
>>
>>53789823
Heh, got him
>>
>>53789869
Op and friends are shills, this is a marketing post. I don't think anyone here actually uses this thing.
>>
>>53789833
Build 2016 live stream
>>
>>53789398
>included in VS Pro, Enterprise and community
>fast(ish) iOS emulator for windows
>fast(ish) Android emulator
>Live reload

I can't wait to see how MS will fuck this in the future
>>
Where were you when Xcode was kill?
>>
>>53789869
Any tips before I lube up and try getting into this?

I don't care about using the latest and greatest and I don't care if the users have to wait 10 seconds for the app to work. They have to use it either way. And I don't care about stackoverflow.

Do you really need a class for an event? Can't you just use an anonymous function?

I just like the language better than Java. The other option is Kotlin but that has it's own problems.
>>
>>53790139
It probably still needs a mac and xcode to compile for ios.
>>
>>53790156
You don't need a class for an event at all. You can use an (anonymous) function.
>>
>>53789398
"For Visual Studio"

Embrace

Extend

Extinguish.

Nutella has fooled every god damned idiot on this industry thinking they "<3 Linux" and "<3 open source" now. They are making developing with .Net outside of Windows much harder on purpose.
>>
>>53790427
they <3 the money that comes from selling Azure and Office 365 subscriptions

Linux and Opensource are ways to make those more profitable so yes, they <3 them too
>>
>>53789833
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/xamarin-now-free-in-visual-studio/
>>
>>53790174
it supposedly coming with iOS emulator
>>
>superior C# development for iOS and Android for free
>Linux userspace running natively in Windows
>ASP.NET open source and multiplatform
>SQL Server runs on Linux too

So it's over, we can agree that Microsoft won?
>>
File: ktO0U.png (74 KB, 1008x630) Image search: [Google]
ktO0U.png
74 KB, 1008x630
>>53789783
Nothing. For too long mobile device frameworks that promised to allow one codebase to work on all three platforms tried to replicate the failed Java Swing model in with the UI looked and functioned equally shitty everywhere. Keeping the view layer completely separate on all platforms is the way to go but for lazy developers who stick business logic in their presentation layer, this is upsetting.
>>
>>53790473
And Windows licenses. Windows 10 is a free upgrade for home consumer use but businesses are still paying their license fees and that's not going to change, especially for their server OS.
>>
>>53790174
Nope. It has an emulator running on Windows.

>The service has also allowed Microsoft to launch an iOS emulator for Windows, allowing users to create iOS applications in C# on their Windows device without needing a Mac.

I'm curious what excuse Apple is going to use to block these programs from being put in the App Store.
>>
>>53790835
why would they? They make money on those apps.
>>
RIP RoboVM
>>
File: curry1.jpg (102 KB, 751x1000) Image search: [Google]
curry1.jpg
102 KB, 751x1000
BASED SATYA NADELA
>>
BASED SALTY NUTELLA
>>
>Microsoft buys Xamarin
>Mono is now MIT
Mono closed source when?
>>
So should I be using Xamarin ?
Does it have libs as nice as Java libs for Android ?
>>
>>53789398
what is this and why should i care
>>
>>53791997
>what is this
Bing it.
>>
>>53792164
BING IT

B I N G I T

B I N G I T
I
N
G

I
T
>>
>>53792164
>Pajeet-ing this hard
>>
>>53789740
Yeah, shilling a free product.
>>
>>53791517

Well considering they made the official Microsoft .NET framework go from proprietary to MIT, you tell me.

>>53790564

They may have lost the mobile arena, but it seems they're not giving up on the rest of the software industry without a fight.
>>
>>53791997
If you are asking this, then it is probably not for you.

Back to the Desktop ricing, Nvidia vs ATI, AMD vs ATI threads....
>>
>>53789869
>no anonymous classes in C#
You really don't know shit, do you?
>>
File: F1446689415531.jpg (48 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
F1446689415531.jpg
48 KB, 330x319
>>53789823
Theyre not even subtle anymore. They just attack you straight away now.
>>
>>53789398
does this just generate html for 3 platforms like cordova or does this generate native code?
>>
Does anyone have an example of an app that was made with xamarin??

Every single time I use an app that was made with some cross platform sit it always responds clunky as duck
>>
>>53793223
https://blog.xamarin.com/tag/case-studies/
>>
>>53789398
When windows to kick all these linuxfags.
>>
>>53790644
Damn, Java UIs are so disgusting.

I can't believe they repeated the same mistake with JavaFX.
>>
Miguel is giving a talk on Xamarin cross platform development live on Channel 9 right now.
>>
File: intro.gif (62 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
intro.gif
62 KB, 576x384
>>53793471
Sun and Oracle are both big iron companies. They don't really give a shit about UI. Even with the community willing to do most of the work, they couldn't get their shit together. One of the things about all this new openness at Microsoft is that porting SQL Server to Linux is going to fuck Oracle bigtime. The management studio for Oracle gives you AIDS just look in at it. Slows and clunky shit. With SQL Server and all its tools on Linux, Oracle is going to have trouble keeping customers or at the very least, a hard time going forward. I always insisted clients using Oracle install TOAD since Oracle's tools are such cancer.
>>
>>53790644
You can have separate view layers for each platform in Xamarin

The only advantage is that you'd only be writing one language.
>>
>>53792740
No, anonymous types cannot implement an interface. From theC# programming guide:

Anonymous types are class types that consist of one or more public read-only properties. No other kinds of class members such as methods or events are allowed. An anonymous type cannot be cast to any interface or type except for object.

Yea sure kid... Learn about interfaces and inheritance first before you talk shit. As for the guy about delegates with onClick. Yea that works, ONLY WHERE THEY BOTHERD TO IMPLEMENT IT. Else enjoy those random shitty classes everywhere. Why can C# havr support for unsigned types but not something as simple as a fucking anonymous class. Xamarin sucks balls. This thread is a massive shill thread. You're way better of with android studio, I don't make this shit up... In their IDE it does NOT I REPEAT NOT SYNC FILES AUTOMATICALLY you have tobadd and delete files yourself that's how hard it sucks fucking shill thread
>>
>>53794198
Can Android Studio make iOS apps?
>>
>>53794256
Duh. That's precisely why it's called "Android Studio".
>>
>>53794384
I ask because Xamarin can be used to write apps for Android, iOS, and Windows. The name "Android Studio" sounds like it only works for Android, in which case it's not the equivalent to Xamarin.
>>
>>53792530

Found the underage
>>
>>53789851
STFU retard
>>
>>53789740
Nobody even noticed you were here until you called attention to the fact you were leaving you little faggot
>>
>>53791243
who is this goddess
>>
>>53790052
>iOS emulator for windows
u w0t? you still need a networked mac to build and emulate your apps there
>>
>>53793183
>does this just generate html
confirmed for not knowing what mono and xamarin are
>>
>>53793879
>Oracle is going to have trouble keeping customers
There are people who will change religions faster than they change RDBMS engines. Unless SQL Server promises no downtime transitioning from one to the other, it's going to be very ugly.

For new DB managers? They'll probably switch.
>>
>>53789398
OH BOY IT ATE 11 Gb OF MY HDD, TOTES WORTH IT

and now it's uninstalled
>>
>>53795400
Nope. Go watch the videos from the Build conference. There is now an iOS emulator running on Windows itself. You don't need any Apple device for this to work. Apparently it's not truly an emulator. My understanding is they took the iOS APIs and wrote libraries that do the exact same thing that calls to the actual iOS API would do.
>>
File: body-0.3C4.jpg (29 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
body-0.3C4.jpg
29 KB, 600x441
>>53795838
Sorry to hear about your poverty.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.