[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my cpu may cause end up causing a house fire. Im guessing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: HouseFireInc.jpg (96 KB, 674x533) Image search: [Google]
HouseFireInc.jpg
96 KB, 674x533
So my cpu may cause end up causing a house fire. Im guessing it just started doing this since i bought my second monitor. Would that cause it to reach that temp? Even idling its jumping from 90-97 which makes me think it may be the paste. Ill probably pick some up tonight
Also im planning on upgrading something on my pc soon and im guessing the cpu would be the best start. Any suggestions?
Ill probably have to upgrade my shitty mobo as well.
>>
>>53789396
It's probably not going to cause a fire but it may start to melt the mobo and is certainly damaging the CPU.

I would be more concerned that it isn't auto shutting off on overheat. That could cause a fire because you without it turning off it could reach much higher temps..
>>
speccy isn't always the best program for temps, use some other program to check.
>>
>>53789471
In the bios its sitting at around 70-75 which is still fairly high for doing basically nothing.
>>
>>53789447
While playing some games it will after a bit just grey screen and i need to restart. If i upped the speed of the gpu it would prevent the issue which made me think it was the gpu overheating but after looking at the cpu temp im guessing thats the issue. Upping the gpu fan may have just reduced the temp of the cpu as well which prevented overheating i suppose.
>>
can't help you, but how do you even have Razer audio? I thought they only made peripherals.

but while you're upgrading your CPU, I remember being told that dual-channel RAM is always superior to single-channel RAM of the same size, so maybe you want to get on another 8GB stick of RAM.

It'd be a gross excess if 8GB serves you well today, and I don't think you can justify swapping an 8GB stick for 2x4GB RAM, but, you know....
>>
>>53789396
A good recommendation would be start from scratch.
Get a haswell/skylake i5 and you are good to go.
>>
>>53789742
I was thinking i should do that. My PSU is pretty shit the cpu for sure is bottlenecking the gpu and any type of cpu i get would probably require a new mobo.
>>53789588 Ill fully admit to being a dingus when talking about ram. Does that mean its reading a single 8gb chip? Because there are 2 4gb chips inside.
>>
File: Dual.jpg (96 KB, 673x533) Image search: [Google]
Dual.jpg
96 KB, 673x533
>>53789588
Yeah i figured out the issue. weird i never noticed that.
>>
Better thermal paste. Make sure you've put enough on without overdoing it. Get a better heatsink too. This is the cheap method before you go spending a lot of money.
>>
>>53789496
Try switching to a different heat sink and thermal paste. I went from an aluminum one to a copper one and got about 10 degree lower idle temps.
However I use low temp solder instead of thermal paste.
>>
>>53790262
10 degrees wouldn't even help OP... it shouldn't be above 80, 90 is still really high even for an AMD cpu.
>>
>>53790291
>>53790262
I tweaked a few things and now its dancing from 60-71 in speccy. Was sitting at 50-55 on the bios but it was increasing somewhat steadily.
I just reduced it to 95% and unplugged one of the fans in the case that i noticed wasnt working and was boiling hot when i touched it. Seems much better now.
While having a game open it jumps to 80ish now compared to the 110 it was before which is much better.
When i get home tonight ill replace the paste and see how much it helps if at all.
>>
File: 1349321571314.jpg (120 KB, 456x337) Image search: [Google]
1349321571314.jpg
120 KB, 456x337
>>53789396
Use amd overdrive to check the thermal margins u dumb nigger
Speccy and some bios won't read the fm2 slot correctly, a simple good search could of told u this...
>>
Speccy doesn't read fm2 correctly faggot. Use speedfan, dumb nigger.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.