[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thou/g/hts on which language I should learn after Python? I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1334249714976.png (7 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1334249714976.png
7 KB, 400x300
Thou/g/hts on which language I should learn after Python? I was thinking C or C++.
>>
>>53788904
C

/thread
>>
>>53788934
That was my initial intent but I keep getting told that C is obsolete, and not to bother with it.
>>
>>53788971
you know how to program fast now you deed to know how to program efficent, so C
>>
>>53789030
Fair enough, C it is.
>>
>>53788971
C won't be obsolete for a couple of decades at least, pretty much everything builds upon it.
>>
Yeah I agree, C would be your best bet if you want to be exposed to a totally new experience. Do try a functional language further down the line though they're pretty great as well if you want to expand your knowledge and skill.
>>
C and Perl were the only languages you needed 20 years ago, and it still holds true to this day
>>
>>53789807
What happened to Perl anyway? It had an incredibly promising start but it seems to have withered away in the past few years, has Python taken its place as a scripting language or what?
>>
How does a non-interpreted language even become obsolete?
Serious question, not exactly an CS-expert but doesn't it all translate into the same thing at the end?
Sure, if you don't need/want all the low level control C gives you its easier writing python or something but that doesn't make it obsolete.
>>
>>53789835
Perl's popularity has diminished, but it still has a lot of users and regular updates. new CPAN modules are still being produced.
>>
>>53789104
C++

once you know c++, then you can go into c
>>
>>53789925
honestly hes right i think c++ should have been your very first language
>>
>>53788904
javascript/NodeJS is the only correct answer
>>
File: 1280957787950.png (4 KB, 376x270) Image search: [Google]
1280957787950.png
4 KB, 376x270
>>53790486
I was told that Python is more accessible to beginners and a good way to get into programming.
>>
>>53789925
you have it backwards. learn c then c++
>>
>>53788904
Assembly. Preferably mips or arm.
>>
>>53788904

Don't waste your time on C++. It's a little bit of everything and great at nothing.

Learn C, then move on to C# or Java and JavaScript (let's face it, JS is probably the most powerful language in the world right now in terms of how much you can accomplish by leveraging existing libraries), then onto whatever weird stuff you're interested in (functional, whatever).

I've been a C++ programmer for years, BTW.
>>
>>53790486

C++ as a first language is the dumbest experiment ever performed by colleges/universities. I watched as my classmates struggled with all the idiotic magic instead of just learning fundamentals that they'd get from C.

cout << "Hello, world" << endl;

That's *confusing as fuck* to a brand new programmer. And just telling people not to worry about the details until later is basically just fundamentally anti-programmer.
>>
>>53788904
C#
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.