[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I have a noob question that I've posted yesterday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
Hello, I have a noob question that I've posted yesterday and gotten some harsh criticism for not knowing better.

So, my friend that studies computer science recommended me code academy to start and learn a little bit about programming. I learned HTML in their course and tried Python, etc.. and found it very useful, because I actually learned something and know how to make at least website after enrolling in this for 2 days (at least on beginner level).

I come here, ask about it, and of course everybody starts saying to kill myself, strangle myself with ethernet cable, etc.. even though I find it good for me.

Other recommendations were to read SICP or attend edX computer science course to learn more, even though it is more video based and harder.

Now I have no problem with studying, but I don't want to know some personal information on how you started so I don't have to kill myself for not knowing better anymore.

I will complete the code academy course anyway, because fuck it, I like it to be honest as a total beginner. However, I would appreciate recommendations.
>>
Now I have no problem with studying, but I don want to know some personal information on how you started so I don't have to kill myself for not knowing better anymore.* misstyped
>>
>>53782278
Really the most important thing is try to apply programming to something you know you will enjoy and be motivated to do anyway.

SICP is good, but very mathy. It can be hard to stay motivated if that isn't your thing. I tend to suggest making a video game as an awesome way to force yourself to learn while staying motivated. It won't be good, but it's something you can see real progress in while doing some Real World Semi-Difficult Problem Solving.
>>
>>53782354
In that vein LÖVE is awesome (just search for love2d). It is lua based, and lua isn't really a great (or even good) programming language, but when you're starting it that beginning that really doesn't matter.
>>
>>53782354
>>53782391

Thanks, will write down this option and give a look at it.
>>
>>53782278
Build your own tools.
Ditch webdevving, it might seem impressive now but it's better to learn to code real applications.
Learn C, Python, or even fucking Common LISP (I hate the last one with all my heart but my god if it isn't useful).
After you get the hang of your language of choice, and feel like doing something better with it (aka progressing), read SICP if you're good with math, if not take on a lighter course like lazyfoo's take on 2d game development (which can be translated into real world applications with GUIs, or something like that), it's more hands-on, but far lighter than SICP.
It's a really open world and you can go wherever you want with your programming skills so set the bar really high and even if you fail you can still learn a lot on your trip.
>>
READ fucking books retard:

the Python tutorial on the official site
Cormen's Intro to Algorithms
any of Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ books
Learn You A Haskell
Paul Graham's On Lisp

>>53782354
>SICP is good, but very mathy
No it is not, and SICP is not appropriate material in this day and age
>>
>>53782536
Thanks man, really appreciate this!

I just tried HTML web deving, because friend recommended it to get a feeling of what 'coding' means. And it really opened my eyes as a beginner.

I just learned HTML, because I want to make my own website for merchandise in future, so it is useful.
>>
>>53782596
As much as I love books, I find it more practical to learn stuff by first having some experience on 'coding' myself. That is why I loved the HTML course, I kind of got the fell of what coding looks like and that it is not so hard to learn, at least these babysteps.

Of course I have no doubt that it will get extremely hard at one point as I progress, but as a beginner I really liked it. However, if I would go into pure theory by books, I'm sure I would feel asleep while reading and lose all motivation, but I'm hyped up now and ready to go and read books also.

Thanks for recommendations, will write them down.
>>
>>53782683
>If I would go into pure theory by books, I'm sure I would feel asleep while reading and lose all motivation.
As I mentioned in >>53782536 try and (after learning the language of your choice's basics, such as text input/output, basics of graphic development, etc) build a notepad, for example.
Try and use this very notepad to make your future projects, it will be adaptible and make you think about design choices in a more practical fashion, you will become more familiar with the inner workings of compilers, the intrincacies of the language itself, and many other areas that need training for amateur developers.
As much as I dislike web development, it does have a place in today's day and age, it's just not the place you think it does, come back to it after you know how to handle a real project.
>>
>>53782857
Okay, I see
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 276x182) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 276x182
>>53782596
>C++
Pic related
>>
>>53783334
Why
>>
>>53782278
edX's CS50x is pretty good fella. I'm on week 2 atm. Had been learning C for a few months prior. Learning tonnes about low level concepts and memory management.

C as a first language > Python as a first language

I started with Bucky's crappy YouTube videos plus stackoverflow and other random resources, on Windows. Then installed Ubuntu on my laptop and learnt some Bash and compiling, and was learning from a book at this point. Now I'm pretty comfortable with using a CLI for basic stuff, and solving basic problems in C. Been doing CS50x on edX for just under a month. It's great. Gets difficult but I'd be worried if it didn't. It's supposed to challenge you. I recommend that you look for a course on edX, Coursera or some other MOOC that you're comfortable with, get a few good books and don't forget to do little exercises between studying to make sure you can code naturally and without having to reference or copy anything.

My reading list:

- C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata
- C Programming: A Modern Approach by K.N. King
- Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold
- C Pocket Reference (O'Reilly)
- The C Programming Language by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
- 57 Exercises for Programmers by Brian P. Hogan

I balance my study between watching videos on edX and taking notes, reading and taking notes, setting myself little exercises and generally experimenting with code, and finally doing my course problem sets as well as exercises in the books. My philosophy is to stimulate all senses when learning.

Good luck fella. Remember if something begins to not work for you, do something else for a while! It'll all come together.
>>
>>53784599
Great!
>>
>>53782596
this guy gets it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.