[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will the current-gen console refreshes remove Blu-ray drives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: ps4_image.jpg (269 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ps4_image.jpg
269 KB, 1920x1080
If I were Sony, I'd be seriously looking at getting rid of the Blu-ray drive and making it a USB 3.0 accessory for the next console refresh.

And considering that Microsoft hates physical games, I wouldn't put it past them either.

This would also give them extra space to put in a 3.5" HDD for better storage capacity and faster access.

What do you guys think Sony/MS will do from an engineering standpoint? I know that the new Polaris architecture is going to have an effect on the refreshes
>>
They'll do your mom
>>
>>53781789
Then i hope they remove it its great to keep filthy gajiin cumskin hands out of my console.
>>
>>53781789
I don't think sony will, it looks like the PS4.5 will be used to push 4K blu ray players
>>
They want to push 4k and blu Ray is the way
>>
>>53781892
Good point.....I assumed most 4K content is streamed though?
>>
>>53781904
There is so little 4k content why not
>>
>>53781919
Sony has disks to sell still
>>
Either pay $50 for something that doesn't exist and takes space or $50 for something you can hold in your hands.
>>
>>53781789
As long as GameStop exists, disc-drives on consoles will still exist.
>>
The ps4 refresh is only happening to support 4k bluray.

Also we live in a data cap world. lots of people can't just be downloading 50 gig games.
>>
>>53781789
if anything they will add another Blu ray with updated specs
most of the change is on the main board

If it i was me i'd add water cooling and a unlocked version to OC the CPU

:DDD
>>
Fuck off, It's already bad enough that console games require day-one patches and updates just like PC games, why the fuck would I even buy games if I can't have them on discs anymore?

This is entirely the reason why I never bothered with PC gaming.
>>
>>53782133
isn't it the other way around?
>>
>>53781789
>This would also give them extra space to
We know with both the PS3 and 360, that the consoles can be a lot smaller and still have a disc drive.
>>
File: 1434499254887.jpg (37 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1434499254887.jpg
37 KB, 300x250
>>53781789
>If I were Sony, I'd be seriously looking at getting rid of the Blu-ray drive and making it a USB 3.0 accessory for the next console refresh.
Go learn about mass production before you start talking nonsense.
>>
>if I were sony I would seriously looking to deprecate our own brand new media standard
why do complete morons insist on making threads?
>>
>>53786048
/v/irgins get into an argument over optical media vs carts and then it spills over here.
/v/ seriously thinks that game companies should just switch back to carts, disregarding all the issues they'd bring.
>>
>>53782183
Of course it's the tripfag who has the shittiest ideas.
>>
File: 25676385045_0025cd335e_o.jpg (113 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
25676385045_0025cd335e_o.jpg
113 KB, 600x800
>>53781789
I've seen some dumb threads in my time. But this is on a whole nother level.
>>
>>53786762
Is... is that a usb in there?
>>
>>53782691
You should have said ps2 or ps1
>>
>>53786802
I dunno if it's legit but it certainly could be. Flash drive for storage, scrap metal to make feel like there's something actually in there
>>
No one is gonna stream 4K content because many people in the states still have bandwidth caps. We don't like blowing through them in one day. Removing a 4k capable bluray player would lose sales for the Playstation division.
>>
>>53782274
No, it's definitely that way. Remember the Xbox one shit show?
>>
>>53781789
Are you fucking kidding me? Remove Blu-ray drive for an HDD and a USB 3.0 for "faster" access? This has got to be a fucking bait thread. Do you have any idea what the Blu-ray has been doing to keep the PS in the lead of sales? Blu-ray disks hold so much more information than the standard shit X1 is using. X1 is still stuck in the past where you need to have multiple disks. The fucking last thing they want to do is remove this feature to try and accompany the small populace that have fast enough internet to stream/download their game onto their console. All this stupid shit, for some extra storage capacity? Are you shitting me? And they don't need to free up space in the design of the PS4 just to put in a god damn USB 3.0, they can easily just switch the existing ports in the design to be 3.0.

Fuck your engineer standpoint, that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>53781904
4k steaming takes up too much bandwidth and will fill up the datacaps of most burgerland ISPs.

discs are a much better alternative. cheap to produce, no lag or degradation in quality from streaming, and you can charge people money per disc instead of a netflix plan.
>>
>>53787334
the xbox one has a blu-ray drive
>>
>>53787426
even more reason to keep it and not get rid of it
>>
>>53787378
>will fill up the datacaps of most burgerland ISPs.
Most ISPs don't have caps here, Europoor.
>>
>>53787378
this shit right the fuck right here
>>
Americunts DO have data caps. Either it is by having a shit bandwidth pipeline e.g. max 4 mbps download OR has a huge 50 mbps download but caps at the equivalent of having a 1 mbps download run 24/7 before overages. No. Fuck no.
>>
>>53781789
nah nigga, they might be an optional addon though
>>
>>53787590
The only major ISPs that have datacaps are AT&T and Comcast.
>>
>>53787923
And they're the major ISPs lel.

Literally zero ISPs in mainland Europe have datacaps.
>>
>>53787971
>And they're the major ISPs lel.
That's not how it works.

>Literally zero ISPs in mainland Europe have datacaps.
Your point being?
>>
>>53782188
I think its a good thing, it will have the effect of massively devaluing vidya in the minds of normals
The days of $70 vidya are going to end very soon
>>
Next gen xbox will probably remove optical. Sony will hang on to it for PS5, so will Nintendo.
>>
>>53786802
Yes it's a fake. Probably bought off chinkxpress.com or something.
>>
>>53788064
prices are not going to drop.
You're going to lose your ability to pass your video game "licenses" to others simply by the act of physically giving them to others.

Unless it's a nintendo game, or an ultra-niche japanese localization, physical games have a habit of becoming cheap very quickly.
Go compare a 2 year old new copy of a game to it's digital-only price.
The digital copy is still $60 fucking dollars.
>>
>>53788111
I can see Sony hanging on to it, they have physical media that they want to push. Nintendo on the other hand, it seems like they're going to go all digital or to a card based media in the future to help push their mobile devices.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nintendo's NX seems more like the Vita/Vita TV than the WiiU and N3DS.
>>
>>53781789
Despite discs being slow, remember that a bluray disc costs cents or less to produce and box. Giving everyone basically a USB with the game on it, even if it's readonly, is gonna cost a lot more.

Say it costs $10-15 for a consumer to buy a 32GB USB. The speed will be greater but it will increase the price of games by at least $5 or $10
>>
I think they'd have whatever AMD's equivalent to Optimus is. Sony's doing something similar with their VR headset needing that external upconverting box, even if it's fundamentally different.
>>
>>53790596
>a bluray disc costs cents or less to produce and box
sony own and licence out bluray so they make a cut of all blurays sold so it's in their interest to have games on bluray discs even though they already rape for dev env. (probably, i have no idea what it's like now)

back when n64 was holding up cartridges they were a bit more expensive but 99% of the games were great. nobody could afford to produce a shitty game that nobody would buy.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.