[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows now has Bash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Windows now has Bash
>>
More info:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11331014/microsoft-windows-linux-ubuntu-bash

My interest is piqued. Lack of bash is half the reason I stay away from Windows for actual work.
>>
>>53770531
so use cygwin
>>
>>53770700
Cygwin is pretty shit tbqh.
>>
>>53770716
So is windows tbqh.
>>
>>53770531
Did you not realize Cygwin and MinGW bring Bash to Windows as well?
>>
I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/NT or as I'd like to call it GNU + Botnet.
>>
>>53769562
So they finally gave up in their shit-tier "cmd" huh. I wonder what level of OS integration will have
>>
Excuse me for my ignorance, but isnt powershell a bash shell?
>>
ITS OVER

LINUX IS DEAD
>>
Lmao, microsoft cmd/powershell is so shit that they have to use the superior unix bash.
>>
>>53770833
Ms gave up on cmd in favor of powershell a while ago. Powershell is still probably the better option for a shell environment in windows as it's build with the Windows ecosystem in mind while bash is built for unix systems.
>>
>>53770881
its a nonfree bash alternative
but its so shit that even microsoft wants to get rid of it
the lang is very different tho
>>
>>53769562
What exactly do they intend to do with bash, exactly?

PowerShell is much more powerful than bash, has entire .NET frmaework on hand and can do anything with the system at any depth. For years I've dreamed of having something like PS on Linux.

Is this just for shit like docker? Otherwise some basic "bash" env is useless hipster garbage imo.
>>
>>53769562
I don't care, it's shit anyway.
>>
>>53770997
Better cross platform support.
>>
>Microsoft does linux related thing
>"Waah ganoo und lenox sind tod!"
Get a grip you imbeciles
If anything, this only gets your cobbled together hobo distro more attention, which results in more, better and better maintained software in the long end anyway. It's like when Steam for Linux happened, flosstards had their pants full of brown and yet it was all hot air in the end.
Though it certainly smells fishy in a different way. Did M$ figure that Windows is a dead end and wants to jump ship to something more maintainable? Do they want to fight for embedded OS marketshare?
>>
>>53770757
Underrated
>>
>>53771023
How does that benefit Microsoft though, since when do they care about other platforms?
>>
>>53771151
>since when do they care about other platforms
This whole presentation is about how much they do care about other platforms
>>
I'm glad that Microsoft is finally embracing Linux features
>>
>>53771151
Embrace, expand, exterminate.

Remember how win10 costs as much as most Linux distros for veteran windows users?
>>
>>53771340
See
>>53771502
>>
>>53769562
Is that Mint?
>>
File: wandows.jpg (53 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
wandows.jpg
53 KB, 600x450
>>53769562
>implying it won't be discontinued in 4 weeks
>>
>>53769562
But have they removed the kernel spyware?
>>
>>53769562
Ubuntufags on suicide watch.
>>
>>53770997
but isn't .net framework not nearly as fleshed out as the coreutils?
Also isn't .net framework a lot more cumbersome to interface with?
>>
File: poster.jpg (37 KB, 430x336) Image search: [Google]
poster.jpg
37 KB, 430x336
>>53770531
>I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/NT or as I'd like to call it GNU + Botnet.

GYGWIN

MINGW

>I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/NT or as I'd like to call it GNU + Botnet.

JEWbuntu, Le Canonical BOTNET

>>
>>53770918

PS IS SHIT

LET'S JOIN JEWBUNTU LESSER RACE

MICROSOFT ON SUICIDE WATCH

>BDS DESKTOP YEAR <Current>
>>
File: 0[1].jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0[1].jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>>53770700
>>53770736
>>53772027
>cygwin >mingw
These are a few of the shittiest things!

Consider, in an alternate universe that could very well eclipse ours: one where the Windows API were directly accessible from Bash.
>>
>>53771960
1: .NET is about a million times more fleshed out and integrated with the system offering control on every level possible. On windows the most used coreutils is about 20 powershell aliases out of thousands.Open up PS ISE on a basic home edition install and set modules to all, your mind will be blown.

2: Yes, no, depends. I like it much more other than it being a quite verbose to write.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.