[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming degree or computer science? You guys get to decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: nofun.png (38 KB, 330x328) Image search: [Google]
nofun.png
38 KB, 330x328
Programming degree or computer science?
You guys get to decide my future. If programming (already have experience in it), suggest reading material. If CS, suggest introductory reading.
>>
Wtf is a 'programmimg' degree

> inb4 he took the bait
>>
Programming. Make sure you learn as many different languages and syntaxes as possible. Companies like people who are versatile and can read and write in many languages. Though you don't need to mess with ASM at all, compilers handle all of that now and there's no need to touch that messy subject.
>>
Software engineering you wasteman
>>
>>53766855
You're going to end up teaching yourself all the important stuff on your own either way, so just choose which one seems more fun/less awful.

And make sure you get an internship. You will learn so much more in a few months of that than two years of your degree.

Do make sure to get a degree in something though. As a programmer without a degree, I can tell you that the no degree path is uber hard Dante must die mode.
>>
>>53766855
Get a game design degree.

You won't regret it.
>>
File: 54.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
54.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>53767223
>>
Some serious responses here which is nice.

>>53766941
So do you have any books that I can read? Preferably ones that need me to practice along with it and doesn't look like it was typed in the 70's?

>>53767084
>so just choose which one seems more fun/less awful
My dilemma is: I know programming. I'm kinda okay at it. Doing it for a future might get repetitive and I might not like it.
Computer science on the other hand offers, in the course design, system and software development, programming, and CS general stuff like algorithms and data structures. It has a wider variety of things and it seems like a good way to challenge myself. But I'm not sure I'll be any good at maths. Like, I'm not terrible at maths I'm just slightly slower to get things. This was in high school though. What if I don't understand and I waste a year or two of my life trying to challenge myself to get nowhere?
Therefore I came here, I know a lot of you guys are either programmers or computer science students yourselves. I needed some data.CS is a perfect challenge, but at the same time I think programming might be perfect for me.

>>53767223
l'moa
>>
>>53766855
>Programming degree
What the fuck is that? Any employer would laugh that shit into a trashcan if they saw it.
Go with Computer Science.
>>
>>53767316
You don't understand how the workforce works, do you?
>>
>>53767273
Are both these degrees at the same uni? Why not start in CS and then move to programming if you realize it's not for you?

In your situation, I'd say go for CS regardless. The maths aren't too bad, but you'll probably have no life whenever you have to take a math class. Get a tutor before you realize you need one in those classes, and you should be fine.

As for reading, mythical man month is a classic of CS and software engineering. It's not so much about programming as it is about how to deal with the timeless challenges of the profession. (As you may have noticed, programming itself isn't all that hard. It's everything around it that gets complicated.) That's one to read before you get started because it will help you save time on your projects. Plus it's interesting and a good read.
>>
>>53767333
Clearly you don't, but then again you're probably still in high school.
Employers aren't looking for "programming degrees" if they wanted those they could just hire H1B indians.
>>
>>53767388
Not him, but HR is just looking for a four year degree and buzzwords. Technical interviewers are looking for programming ability, problem solving skills, and not being an ass to work with.

I don't have a degree in anything, and I can land good jobs just fine as long as I have a contact in the company that can get my resume past the first layer of HR filtering.
>>
>>53767361
>Are both these degrees at the same uni?
Yep they are.

>Why not start in CS and then move to programming if you realize it's not for you?
Because I hate admitting I'm a failure at something. Muh societal expectations, people expect me to be good at this stuff so I'm feeling the pressure.

Am reading the book now, thanks for your help m80. Nice to talk with non-shitposters or trolls here.
>>
>>53767647
>hate admitting ur a failure
Get the fuck out of here n go get a degree in womens study
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.