[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ feel about electric cars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: blueindy-carsharing-01-1.jpg (67 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
blueindy-carsharing-01-1.jpg
67 KB, 800x450
How does /g/ feel about electric cars?
>>
>>53762084
Yes.
>>
>>53762084
No
>>
>>53762084
Tesla's are sexy af. But like every technology ATM, such as smartphones, laptops, it's limited by shitty 200 year battery technology.
>>
They're battery packs are literaly made of a couple thousand 18650 batteries stringed together. The tech is pathetic. Will wait another 70 years.
>>
Why hasn't battery tech advanced?
>>
>>53762159
Da joos don't want us traveling far in case we did it that they lied to us and the Earth is flat and we would fall of the edge
>>
>>53762084
I'd like to know why has no electric car manufacturer disclose the electric consumption of their electric cars, or at least any time I ask that question no one knows the answer.

> it can go 40 miles before you need to recharge it

ok... so how many kw/h does it take for a full charge?

> crickets
>>
>>53762277
It's not like you can get other tech to do the same. When have you heard a how much a smartphone, tablet, or a laptop spends energy? It's measured usually the time it lasts on a full charge
>>
>>53762313
but this is different than other tech. the entire selling point of electric cars is the fact that they use electricity instead of gasoline. i just googled it up apearently some people have measured it, a chevy volt will use 12kwh per charge and a tesla a guy came to 2.1 miles/kWh number.

if you add to these numbers the future cost of a battery pack replacement. this is a very very shitty deal, the only way to justify the switch to full electric would be charging stations everywhere subsidized and said "fuel" paid for by the government for normal/non-commercial drivers.

we are not even including in all this other maintenance costs that could happen on a car like the engine going out.
>>
>>53762365
Incidentally, electric cars have fewer moving parts, so the likelihood that the engine goes out is much, much lower.
>>
>>53762480
I get what you're saying. fewer moving parts. all electric. but if youve dealt with electronic components you know that sometimes even brand new components go to shit seconds within receiving power. my anecdotal evidence says dc components go to shit quicker than ac components.

then there are news like this one
>www.green arreports.com/news1093713_tesla-model-s-drive-unit-replacements-how-big-a-problem
>>
File: 2013-09-27-stonecutters.jpg (104 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-27-stonecutters.jpg
104 KB, 800x600
>>53762084
The Stonecutters will never allow it to happen.

>>53762365
Don't Teslas come with free charging as long as you do it at one of their SuperCharging stations? When I go to Publix I pass a whole bank of those things. Never seen anyone plugged into them.
>>
>>53762084
Somehow always look horrible, and not just like regular cars
>>
They're terrible and will never become mainstream.

Disclaimer: I work in PR for BP
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.